Argh, organizing a LAN party...

It's actually pretty strenuous. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to fit everyone inside my house, and still be near the router. I need to get all of these completed before I can actually host this thing...
  • List of players
  • List of games
  • Who's bringing what?
  • Seating arrangements
  • Networking
  • Time of arrival

I've basically got the first few covered, but like I said before, it's fitting everyone in which will be the problem. Might have to get nice and cosy...

Comments

• BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    Good luck, bro. And expect a lot of problems when your bros actually hook their shit up.
    Make sure all your bros have decent computers.
    Also, make sure you have a good switchboard. Have a bro bring one along if you don't own one.
    For seating arrangements, try finding a place to rent some tables and chairs, for party events.
    For games, check the LAN games thread, bro.

Peace.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks bro. I was planning on hooking 2 routers up to each other and disabling DHCP on one of them, instead of using a switch. That would work just as well, right?

We don't have too many people, y'see.
  • BigBroBigBro Regular
    edited July 2010
    It might, bro. Networking isn't really my speciality, you see.
    But I've hooked up two routers before, no probs.
  • edited July 2010
    Sweet. I might give it a shot in a minute actually, should work just fine.
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Just remember to change the ip of one of the routers to something else and kill dhcp on one or (in my case) both the routers and they should run fine as long as noone unplugs something and accidentally plugs it into the other routers wan port and forgets to mention it:facepalm:

Also surely theres some kinda tech recycling place where you could pick up a cheap 16 port 10/100 switch for a few bucks ($20 or so) in your town, sure makes lans a little easier
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
    a good idea is to have cracked copies of the games saved onto your hard drive, available for anyone to leech off the network. that way if someone doesn't have a game, they aren't left out and they can jump into the action pretty quick.
  • edited July 2010
    a good idea is to have cracked copies of the games saved onto your hard drive, available for anyone to leech off the network. that way if someone doesn't have a game, they aren't left out and they can jump into the action pretty quick.

That's a cool idea. I don't know much about network sharing though. Can anyone give me the basics, or should I google? :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    A) Set a standard. Networking should be done using Gigabit LAN if possible. One router + switch would do the job. Router + router + switch will work as well.
    B) Power, running system will put a load your power supply. Get a good socket with surge protection and a built-in circuit breaker.
    C) LCD and light systems. Tell your mates to set up their systems in a fashion that will use less power.
    D) Arrangements, you can either fo free for all setup or team setup. Setup systems in such as fashion that players can't peak others progress or group the tables together in a team fashion. A long table with plenty of space for computers would work.
    E) Protect the power and critical components, players tend to spill drinks here and there. Prevent that from happening. Drinks + Power switch = NOT GOOD.

Lookup some Lan Party setup guides on instructables.

Use Windows sharing for hosting games. Use Install Free games for LAN Party. Also, make sure every user is using the same Windows Version. Like Windows 7 all the way. In case of Windows Vista or Windows Xp consider checking the Windows 7 Sharing Guide for Xp/Vista (Google). Sharing is pretty simple and easy to do.