What is the nerdiest book that you cant help but read?

jarkofjarkof Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
I feel nerdy as fuck but I am a huge fan of Paolini's inheritance series. Including Eragon, Saphira, Brisingr, and a forth one that has yet to come out.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2010
    I've read all the Tintin comics, the Asterix ones too.

In hindsight, Asterix and Tintin probably influenced my morals (and politics) more than any other books.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn. I cant read comics but when it comes to books i am reall really nerdy. so im curious if im alone on this one.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ive read the adventures of tintin. Loved it.

I've read Halo the book. I do not really like the game, but the book is not at all bad.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok now i feel really nerdy. Man i completely forgot that i read the first 3 halo book.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    We had this stupid 15 minute reading period in middle school and I once took my starcraft book with me to read. I hid it behind a cosmo magazine though so people didnt think I was a nerd.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha. Nice man. I remember that 15 minute ready period. Was nice. no teacher for a whole 15 minutes. Hade 1 hour reading fridays in 5th and 6th grade. Harry potter was in then :facepalm:
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    We had this stupid 15 minute reading period in middle school and I once took my starcraft book with me to read. I hid it behind a cosmo magazine though so people didnt think I was a nerd.

Lol you shoulda been reppin dat shit.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^
    Agreed you should have shown it proud. And cosmo?
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Naw I was, it was a joke lol. I didnt really care at the time, I was insignificant.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha good!
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
  • VegaVega New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    We had twenty minute reading periods in twelfth grade. :facepalm:
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Orson Scott Card's Ender series. It's pretty much a celebration of nerds' self-distancing from the herd.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^
    ^
    Oh jeeze im so sorry that they put you through that vega. DO you need a hug.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    We had 20/30 min reading periods too. :( It was horrible. I can't get much enjoyment out of only 30 minutes of reading. No time to really immerse myself.

So it was pretty much sitting around trying to concentrate with a bunch of noisy fuckers around me and then they tell me to stop reading, Always in the middle of a good part. :mad:
  • edited July 2010
    Jack wrote: »
    Orson Scott Card's Ender series. It's pretty much a celebration of nerds' self-distancing from the herd.

I've got Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow but have not gotten to them yet. You ought to see my collection. I have over 250 real volumes and 400 or more pdfs.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn, nice. You should read them next chance you get; they're excellent. Speaker for the Dead is the sequel and Shadow is the prequel, but if you didn't know I'd recommend reading them in order Game > Shadow > Speaker. Game and Shadow are mostly parallel, but, Game being the original book, it's the best starting point, and you might end up with unwanted foreshadowing or insights if not spoilers entirely if you read Shadow first.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Never read em or even heard of em. What are they about.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Basically a boy genius who trains to become the world's greatest military commander and defeat the evil alien invaders etc. If you've ever felt excluded or distanced from others because of your intelligence, you'll probably enjoy it.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    So basically its the nerdiest book out there. I may have to check it out. You know what else is pretty fucking nerdy but so many people have read it. Artemis fowl. The story there is pretty damn nerdy as well.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors

Aye, Rolf be knowing that it be written by naught but a Floridian fishwife, but Rolf must finish reading the books which Rolf starts, for Rolf is consistent, if nothing else... except Rolf.
  • VegaVega New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    ^
    ^
    Oh jeeze im so sorry that they put you through that vega. DO you need a hug.

I'm an avid reader, actually.

But this was in twelfth grade. I can understand middle school or elementary school, but if high schoolers don't want to read then they aren't going to read. Mandatory reading periods don't achieve anything.
  • edited July 2010
    Vega wrote: »
    I'm an avid reader, actually.

But this was in twelfth grade. I can understand middle school or elementary school, but if high schoolers don't want to read then they aren't going to read. Mandatory reading periods don't achieve anything.

Mandatory attendance is also unnecessary despite the lack of relation to the topic. It wouldn't surprise me if it actually lowered the attendance rate.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hell, a lot of the most intelligent people I've known are the types who will feel unmotivated to do something simply because it's mandatory.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Exactly. When told to do something it takes the fun out of it. And yeah having a reading time in 12th grade is ridiculous.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Nobody else has said it?

I must be the only one. :(

The dictionary. When I can't find anything else to read when going to the bathroom, I read the dictionary.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't even have a paper dictionary anymore. :(
    I keep "Typewriting Behavior" by the toilet.
  • edited July 2010
    the starcraft books.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    I fucking love Harry Potter. :o:o:o

I used to ask my friends to ask me any question about any of the books and I never got anything wrong. :o:o:o Each book has been read at least 5 times. :(
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Daily wrote: »

I used to ask my friends to ask me any question about any of the books and I never got anything wrong. :o:o:o Each book has been read at least 5 times. :(

Damn dude that is dedication. As for the books. I have read all of them except only half of the last one. I want it to be a surprise. I will read it after the movie comes out to see what the differences are.
  • SteppenwolfSteppenwolf Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Daily wrote: »

Dilan was better.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've got Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow but have not gotten to them yet. You ought to see my collection. I have over 250 real volumes and 400 or more pdfs.

You're only hurting yourself every second you're not reading these.

The main Ender series was amazing up til Children of the Mind which I find dull... very fucking dull.

Speaker of the Dead and Ender's Game made my mind shit itself in awesomeness. Xenocide was ok.

Now... Ender's Shadow was phenominal! I forgot the one after it but I know I read it. It's a completely different book in style compared to the other series but I enjoyed it more then Xenocide.

As for nerdiest books? I feel nerdy any time I read manga 'cause I don't look the type.

But I've been following particular series for years and I want to know how they go on...

I.E. One Piece, Hunter X Hunter
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Probably accelerando by charles stross
    Theres something about a robot kitten becoming a godlike ai and manipulating several generations of someones family to its own ends, alien packet routers and transferring the copyrights to several decades of songs to your pissed off ex wife as part of a divorce settlement moments before the new copyright mafia, hovering gun battery in tow break into the living room, that makes for a engrossing read.

Definitely worth reading
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    The box car children.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Everything I read is nerdy as fuck.
  • edited July 2010
    I used to love to go through DnD manuals and adventure manuals, looking for usable things.
  • edited July 2010
    Everything I read is nerdy as fuck.

Also, this. Technical and peer reviewed literature is nerdy ass shit.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but it is people that read that shit that can be very helpful at times.