ATM Scam (as per Pandora's request)

Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
Credit to StreetMagic.
There are a lot of guys that I know of who do this form of "bank fraud". Yet, I really don't know much about it. Basically, from my knowledge, it has to do heavily with ATM's and wire transfers. Anytime anyone gets "put on" to the lick, they give the guy who runs the scam their ATM card and in a few days to a week, they get their card back and a few stacks. I think they might also have to go pull the money out themselves at an ATM ("they" being the cardholder, not the scammer). Now the card holder isn't the one being scammed, they are in on it, they are kind of just a vehicle for the scammer, like a drop house I suppose (for lack of a better analogy). What is happening on the scammer's end, to the best of my knowledge, is basically that he takes time to find like old, inactive bank accounts (like that of an old person) and wire like an average of $30,000 at a time out of them.

Now the majority of the people who I know of that are actively doing this are ghetto black dudes with no computer savvy. They are very secretive and whatnot about this hustle and really don't want to let new guys in too much and definitely never teach anyone how to hit the lick on their own.

My question, and the point of this post, is how do they do this? What, more importantly, are they doing? How does this work? Does anyone on Zoklet have any idea of what may be going on here and how I might learn for myself how to do this?

Comments

• Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    My guess is they just deposit empty envelops with falsely recorded amounts. Confirm/ deny?
  • edited July 2010
    On Zoklet someone posted a huge complex guide on this. Not alot of people got it, but it was really good. It told you how to configure a device that was put over the card reader and read the CC info of people attempting to use the ATM.

Related

http://banking.about.com/od/securityandsafety/a/skimmers.htm

The basic idea of a skimmer is that it is a small plastic device that is placed over the card reader on an ATM. This device contains a mag stripe reader. When you insert your card into the ATM the magnetic stripe of the card passes through the skimmer on its way to the atm mouth and your skimmer copies and stores the track data from the card. Later on you can remove your skimmer and write the track data on to a blank card and pow. You have a copy of somebodies debit or credit card and they don't even know it.

To get the pin number you either use a hidden camera mounted near the ATM with a clean view of the PIN pad or you place a false pin pad over top of the real one so you can store their pin digitally. Some more advanced skimmers have GSM connectivity so you can text yourself the track data and pin number to yourself live.

supposedly people can also place bugs in POS terminals and skim the debit track data and pin that way however I have not seen this done.

it IS however possible to place a small recording device on the phone line that the POS machine is hooked in to and record the track data from credit cards that way however i'm not entirely sure how to decrypt the sound data and convert it into a workable track. I suppose you could also do this with debit cards and just eyeball the pin number as they type it in.

I'm wondering if you could configure the magstrip reader to send a text to a prepaid phone so you wouldn't have to retrieve the device.
  • edited July 2010
    Got it. Once again v0x is the man!

OP is on Zoklet.

I take no responsibility for these instructions! They were made mostly from bits of info and talking to other people I've met, so I'm not making any guarantees. In addition, I have not tried to make this myself, and this unit will NOT work on all ATMs. I am also not an authority on skimming, so don't ask me about it. BADMAN seems to be our resident guru, and I believe a couple others know some things about it too. Hopefully they'll post here, and share the knowledge. Either way, I hope this helps someone make a working skimmer.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Making a skimmer isn't as hard as people would like you to think it is. If you have basic craft skills, you can make a pretty good one. Of course, it won't be as good the pros make, but it will serve it's purpose.

You'll need a:

* Dremel
    * MSR 500m (http://www.msrfactory.com/msr500mwebsite.htm)
    * Aluminite Starter Kit (http://www.alumilite.com/checkout/pr...products_id=49)
    * PCmetal putty (http://www.pcepoxy.com/puttyepoxies/pcmetal.asp)
    * Fine grade sandpaper
    * Spraypaint
    * Saran wrap

Depending on the type of skimmer you may need minor additional products to replicate the unit on the ATM.

Now, the first thing you would need to do is to indentify the type of skimmer you want to make. Obviously, you want to choose one that is common among ATMs in your area. Now, once you've decided on the type, you need to obtain it. There are two ways to do this. You can either buy it as a replacement part online (from a supply company) or make a copy.

To make a copy, open your aluminite starter kit and you will find some clay bars. Combine these two bars into one. Go to the ATM and firmly (but unsuspiciously) press the clay onto the reader. Pull it off gently and you should have a good impression of the reader. Take the impression home and use the resin mixture from your starter kit to make a copy of the ATM's reader. Be careful, because it dries in under 3 minutes. Ok, so at this point, you should now have a replica of the ATM reader. Now, you may want to lightly spray WD40 before applying the clay that you don't leave any residue. Just make sure to wipe off the oil afterwards. Of course, it's good to do all this at night, so no "concerned citizens" fuck you up. If you trust him, ask your friend at the bank, or your friend who's an ATM repairman to make the mold. Of course, you better fucking trust him, and make sure he's not a squealing idiot, because otherwise you're screwed.

Anyway, now that you have the replica of the reader. Disassemble the MSR500M so it's completely out of its housing. Make sure not to break anything, the thing costs $250. Anyway, you'll see that it's got a pretty simple design. That's good, because the key part to making a skimmer is the position of the reader. It MUST be in the correct position to read the cards properly, otherwise, all your work and stress has gone to shit. Therefore, depending on the design, dremel the head enclosure as small as possible to get the right fit. The metal brackets holding it in are there to ensure the reader can move to allow the card to go past the head. Of course, the smaller it is the better. Use the PCmetal putty to accommodate for the dremeled brackets.

Now, once your at this stage, you need to design your skimmer. Place your MR500M parts where they best fit on top of the replica reader. ou should place it in such a way that you can have access to it to turn it on and off. You can use a toothpick to ensure a channel to the on off switch, if you'd like. Anyway, apply one layer of Saran wrap over your replica reader and MSR parts, so the clay doesn't stick to it. Start placing the clay from your starter kit on top of the Saran wrap, so as to minic the design of the orginal reader enclosure. The readers are very basic and clay is very pliable, so it should be rather easy to replicate the design. Make sure that everything is flat and smooth, you don't want someone to cut themselves on it, and then discover the skimmer. You could even use a credit card to ensure smooth lines and flat surfaces (but a straight metal ruler is probably a better choice ). Ok, so once you're happy with your design, gently lift off the clay. BE VERY CAREFUL here, it's important to make sure everything stays together. At this point, you should have a clay representation of your skimmer. Use your starter kit and follow the directions on how to make mold. From the mold, you want to make a resin unit. Place your MSR500M parts into the unit the same way you had them layed out on top of the original reader. Use the PCmetal putty as needed to secure the parts in the unit. Give it a shake after the putty dries, you don't want something coming loose due to an over-eager bank customer. Next, sandpaper the rough edges and spray paint the unit the same color as the reader on the ATM. This is important, it should be very close, if not exactly the same color as the one on the ATM.

At this stage, you're ready to test the skimmer. Run a card through a couple of times. Make sure the skimmer looks like the ATM unit. Check the memory to ensure that the card read properly. If everything is good, continue on. Now, once you have ensured that your skimmer lines up perfectly with the ATM, you're ready to go. Use the PCmetal putty to create a string bond with the ATM. This will make it pretty hard to take off. Even if you break it while trying to take it off, you'll still have the molds to make another. Anyway, position it on there, make sure everything looks good, and leave quietly. Congrats, you've now got a genuine, working skimmer. Enjoy, and thank me if you like the guide.
  • edited July 2010
    If it's black guys doing it then 100% they're working for someone intelligent. No offense, but they just don't have the skill or intellect to do anything serious in cybercrime.
  • edited July 2010
    If it's black guys doing it then 100% they're working for someone intelligent. No offense, but they just don't have the skill or intellect to do anything serious in cybercrime.

I'm sure they were paid to install them by the people getting the numbers wirelessly. They know ATM's are under surveillance there not dumb.
  • brutusbrutus New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    I take no responsibility for these instructions! They were made mostly from bits of info and talking to other people I've met, so I'm not making any guarantees. In addition, I have not tried to make this myself, and this unit will NOT work on all ATMs. I am also not an authority on skimming, so don't ask me about it. BADMAN seems to be our resident guru, and I believe a couple others know some things about it too. Hopefully they'll post here, and share the knowledge. Either way, I hope this helps someone make a working skimmer.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Making a skimmer isn't as hard as people would like you to think it is. If you have basic craft skills, you can make a pretty good one. Of course, it won't be as good the pros make, but it will serve it's purpose.

You'll need a:

* Dremel
    * MSR 500m (http://www.msrfactory.com/msr500mwebsite.htm)
    * Aluminite Starter Kit (http://www.alumilite.com/checkout/pr...products_id=49)
    * PCmetal putty (http://www.pcepoxy.com/puttyepoxies/pcmetal.asp)
    * Fine grade sandpaper
    * Spraypaint
    * Saran wrap

Depending on the type of skimmer you may need minor additional products to replicate the unit on the ATM.

Now, the first thing you would need to do is to indentify the type of skimmer you want to make. Obviously, you want to choose one that is common among ATMs in your area. Now, once you've decided on the type, you need to obtain it. There are two ways to do this. You can either buy it as a replacement part online (from a supply company) or make a copy.

To make a copy, open your aluminite starter kit and you will find some clay bars. Combine these two bars into one. Go to the ATM and firmly (but unsuspiciously) press the clay onto the reader. Pull it off gently and you should have a good impression of the reader. Take the impression home and use the resin mixture from your starter kit to make a copy of the ATM's reader. Be careful, because it dries in under 3 minutes. Ok, so at this point, you should now have a replica of the ATM reader. Now, you may want to lightly spray WD40 before applying the clay that you don't leave any residue. Just make sure to wipe off the oil afterwards. Of course, it's good to do all this at night, so no "concerned citizens" fuck you up. If you trust him, ask your friend at the bank, or your friend who's an ATM repairman to make the mold. Of course, you better fucking trust him, and make sure he's not a squealing idiot, because otherwise you're screwed.

Anyway, now that you have the replica of the reader. Disassemble the MSR500M so it's completely out of its housing. Make sure not to break anything, the thing costs $250. Anyway, you'll see that it's got a pretty simple design. That's good, because the key part to making a skimmer is the position of the reader. It MUST be in the correct position to read the cards properly, otherwise, all your work and stress has gone to shit. Therefore, depending on the design, dremel the head enclosure as small as possible to get the right fit. The metal brackets holding it in are there to ensure the reader can move to allow the card to go past the head. Of course, the smaller it is the better. Use the PCmetal putty to accommodate for the dremeled brackets.

Now, once your at this stage, you need to design your skimmer. Place your MR500M parts where they best fit on top of the replica reader. ou should place it in such a way that you can have access to it to turn it on and off. You can use a toothpick to ensure a channel to the on off switch, if you'd like. Anyway, apply one layer of Saran wrap over your replica reader and MSR parts, so the clay doesn't stick to it. Start placing the clay from your starter kit on top of the Saran wrap, so as to minic the design of the orginal reader enclosure. The readers are very basic and clay is very pliable, so it should be rather easy to replicate the design. Make sure that everything is flat and smooth, you don't want someone to cut themselves on it, and then discover the skimmer. You could even use a credit card to ensure smooth lines and flat surfaces (but a straight metal ruler is probably a better choice ). Ok, so once you're happy with your design, gently lift off the clay. BE VERY CAREFUL here, it's important to make sure everything stays together. At this point, you should have a clay representation of your skimmer. Use your starter kit and follow the directions on how to make mold. From the mold, you want to make a resin unit. Place your MSR500M parts into the unit the same way you had them layed out on top of the original reader. Use the PCmetal putty as needed to secure the parts in the unit. Give it a shake after the putty dries, you don't want something coming loose due to an over-eager bank customer. Next, sandpaper the rough edges and spray paint the unit the same color as the reader on the ATM. This is important, it should be very close, if not exactly the same color as the one on the ATM.

At this stage, you're ready to test the skimmer. Run a card through a couple of times. Make sure the skimmer looks like the ATM unit. Check the memory to ensure that the card read properly. If everything is good, continue on. Now, once you have ensured that your skimmer lines up perfectly with the ATM, you're ready to go. Use the PCmetal putty to create a string bond with the ATM. This will make it pretty hard to take off. Even if you break it while trying to take it off, you'll still have the molds to make another. Anyway, position it on there, make sure everything looks good, and leave quietly. Congrats, you've now got a genuine, working skimmer. Enjoy, and thank me if you like the guide.

This guide is incredibly old and will no longer work. It was clearly written by someone with no skimming experience as well. Combined with the fact that v0x or whoever you claim wrote the guide is not the original author.

Don't try that at home kids.
  • edited July 2010
    brutus wrote: »
    This guide is incredibly old and will no longer work. It was clearly written by someone with no skimming experience as well. Combined with the fact that v0x or whoever you claim wrote the guide is not the original author.

Don't try that at home kids.

If you have better information we'd all love to know.
  • ch1rpch1rp Acolyte
    edited July 2010
  • brutusbrutus New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    ch1rp wrote: »
    Brutus wrote a tutorial on how to make atm skimmers, look further back in BI and be prepared to invest $2500 if your seriously interested in making them yourself.Just buy from brutus, check trading pit.Ya'll know if you buy or make skimmer you need msr206(card writer 350-700$$$) to cashout or you have to pay some dickface 30-40% of your money to do it for you and risk getting ripped off....

I hope we dont end up with a bunch of stupid 13 year olds asking questions about credit cards(not talking about you guys above), was getting really annoyed about the quality of those threads on zoklet and hope it doesnt follow anyone here.Im just saying most of these kids asking the questions cant figure out simple stuff, buying WMZ or LR(digital currency) is too complicated for them.I already gave a stupid kid on zoklet over 20 cvv and he waisted them, these kids cant do anything right; and then I tried to help another person and gave her access to one of my account and since then Ive got bombarded with pms(fucking retard).Im rambling now so Ill stop...Just know there are sites for skimmers, dumps and cvv so we dont need a bunch of fucking stupid threads and kiddiots ruining this site...

That copy & paste tutorial about the mini123 skimmer would look shitty, but if done perfectly might look half decent.I got some skimmer pictures and some skematics and random other crap I saved from carding sites that Ill dump in here later...

Thanks for that lol, you saved me a lot of typing.

The mini123 wouldn't work period. First of all, it's too large. Also the magnetic head is far too large.

Even if you were able to buy a magnetic head, along with the MSR123EX and successfully molded a skimmer. It would have to be a dip and swipe type, not a normal front bezel type. It has to be the kind where you insert the card and pull it out quickly, similar to a gas station card reader, because the msr123ex can't read interrupted swipes.

A little research and you would realize this.
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited August 2010
    The guide I posted up there is old/outdated. and only works on a couple rare types of ATMs (look at the post right above mine). Just to make this clear, AGAIN, I am not an authority on skimming AT ALL. Come to me for any carding/e-fraud/cybercrime/botnet info. Or Slim; hopefully he comes on over soon.

Brutus seems to be trustable on info, even if he has been accused of ripping. We'll see what happens with the accusations and shoudersurfer within the next week. IMO, at least brutus posts and contributes, whereas shouldersurfer just screams like a skid... Anyway, all of this is just one more reason why I don't work with other carders. Remember everyone: the best partner is no partner at all.