The Ring Nebula

Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
despite the full moon I went and shot this. turned out okay. had huge problems with the mount being overweighted, but still. not great at all but a passable plate.

8KyWF.jpg

:o

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Dude, that looks like an eye. You must be living in some kind of forest. Hell, I can't even see the bright stars unless power goes out for the whole damn country.

You're one lucky sonofabitch mate. I envy you :(.
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited July 2010
    yep, actually a similar (yet much dimmer and far larger) planetary nebula called the Helix has been called the Eye of God.

the pupil in this case is a star transitioning to white dwarf phase. the little guy next to it is unrelated.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've seen you do these threads before, but can't remember how you do them. A filter, or post editing?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    And there I was in awe at the full moon, not expecting much more, when you post this :D

Would be amazing if it wasn't as blurry, but who am I to complain :o
    edited July 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    I've seen you do these threads before, but can't remember how you do them. A filter, or post editing?

do what?

make my pictures?

actually a combo. shoot through specialized (at least that's how you should...I'm using nigger rigged) filters to turn B&W images into color. simple R, G, B filters. although you can create false color narrowband when it comes to nebulae.

anyway, the camera captures a huge dynamic range being that it's 16 bit. it takes quite a bit of computer time to fully take advantage of this, combining the brighter features with the dimmer features, etc.
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    And there I was in awe at the full moon, not expecting much more, when you post this :D

Would be amazing if it wasn't as blurry, but who am I to complain :o

oh come on it's not -that- blurry...
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Dude, that looks like an eye. You must be living in some kind of forest. Hell, I can't even see the bright stars unless power goes out for the whole damn country.

You're one lucky sonofabitch mate. I envy you :(.

This. PHOTOSHOPPED! :o:mad:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    oh come on it's not -that- blurry...

Well I've never really paid attention to amateur astronomy before, so I only have professional pictures like from the Hubble as comparison :p

Nevertheless amazing though. If I ever have some extra time, I'd like to try it out.
  • edited July 2010
    i can connect the stars round it to make a constellation you kno ??

THE GOATSE CONSTELLATION.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Well I've never really paid attention to amateur astronomy before, so I only have professional pictures like from the Hubble as comparison :p

Nevertheless amazing though. If I ever have some extra time, I'd like to try it out.

goddamn hubble:mad:
  • SliceSlice Regular
    edited July 2010
    i can connect the stars round it to make a constellation you kno ??

THE GOATSE CONSTELLATION.

a photoshop is now mandatory. :mad:
  • thatsMYdogthatsMYdog Regular
    edited July 2010
    More like the nipple of god

That's what I saw first
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    That's really cool. Astronomy scares me though. I can't wrap my mind around it, so I have to avoid thinking about it.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    BEHOLD! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3974466981713172831&sourceid=Himself#
    fanglekai wrote: »
    That's really cool. Astronomy scares me though. I can't wrap my mind around it, so I have to avoid thinking about it.

Astrophysics and quantum physics, intangible ideas to our minds, but the utmost interest in my life.
    edited July 2010
    Ok that shit is going to give me nightmares. Thanks.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    Glad I could edumacate you.
    edited July 2010
    Not nice :(
  • edited July 2010
    OP's picture is awesome, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited July 2010
    Amazing picture as usual! Stunningly beautiful...
    Also that video is very similar to an image I saw that was probably just screen caps of the video.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    The image you're talking about to I have on my computer here somewhere... I will find it.

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/universcale/index_f.htm

A glorious presentation... I don't even know how to describe it. But follow the link through, you'll enjoy.

http://sizeofworldse.ytmnd.com/

And that's a ... ytmnd of the picture you're referring to. I could not find the original but it's the original just chopped up with an orchestra added... enjoy!

This is the stuff I live for.
  • edited July 2010
    Slice wrote: »
    a photoshop is now mandatory. :mad:

constellationgoatse.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    ^ That is fucking awesome.
    edited July 2010
    ROFL:D

lowercase
    edited July 2010
    Now post constellation goatse on some astronomy forums.
    edited July 2010
    uhC0t.jpg

Tweaked the image a little bit tonight, sharpened the nebula a bit, reduced some bloated stars, and smoothed out the background. Also cropped to make it match earlier plates so they are all uniform.
    edited July 2010
    Nice work!
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    constellationgoatse.jpg

"Sooo if I can find the asshole, then this way must be north! We're not lost anymore. I knew that'd come in handy some day."
    edited July 2010
    this isn't over yet:mad:

I am adding the second night's exposure time to the firsts', which will drastically improve the image quality.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    Is that what I saw in the sky directly across from Jupiter?
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    Is that what I saw in the sky directly across from Jupiter?

Yes. Space is completely 3 dimensional - everything is directly across from everything.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    Meh, you know what I mean. Jupiter is in the southeastern sky here and something that was glowing different colors was in the northwestern the other night. I thought it was a plane but it didn't move so then I thought it was a helicopter but it stayed in the same place all night.
    edited July 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    Yes. Space is completely 3 dimensional - everything is directly across from everything.

Mind-blown.
    edited July 2010
    Meh, you know what I mean. Jupiter is in the southeastern sky here and something that was glowing different colors was in the northwestern the other night. I thought it was a plane but it didn't move so then I thought it was a helicopter but it stayed in the same place all night.

Considering the stars move across the sky as the night progresses I am inclined to think that whatever you saw was on earth

also forgot to post the updated pic:
    QIMq2.jpg
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited July 2010
    Considering the stars move across the sky as the night progresses I am inclined to think that whatever you saw was on earth

also forgot to post the updated pic:
    QIMq2.jpg

Or a UFO. Definitely.
  • edited July 2010
    Habanero has done it again. Lol at goatse. What fags tole your name? Get it back?
    edited July 2010
    Habanero has done it again. Lol at goatse. What fags tole your name? Get it back?

originally pacino, then shutmeup had her day in court with it, then I finally got it but by that time I had already made a hundred some odd posts on this account and wasn't about to give that up.

at least I'm in possession of it.
  • edited August 2010
    updated pic:

coincidently ... so did I.

constagcopy.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    A summer in the loving arms of the wise old philosopher :

" The brief summer Habenar0 spent with the old wise philosopher known to the literated world as The Methematician had also broaden his young, naive mind. Yess, it did broaden his "other" things too, but those sacrifices were nothing compared to the knowledge and wisdom he gained. Now every time he looks down into his telescope and as his vision refracted up into the depst of the cold dark night sky, he sees Goatse.

In every nebulae, every remnants of a super nova, every donut shaped galaxy, especially those populated with lots of red giants, he sees the pink ring of Goatse. And the fact that there lies billion upon billion of stars out there, more numerous than the amount of pixels of his monitor could contain .... meant that he can connect any of these immeasurable heavenly light dots into a constellation. Constellation Goatse.

As Habenar0 lies on the arsephalt beside his mentor, both naked under the starshine, he pondered upon his new found perspective, his new weltanschauung. After what his mentor had shown him

[SFX : skin stretched]

ass-tronomy, arse-trology, asstrophysician, arsetral-projection ... and assssstronauts, they all now have one thing in common ;

ASS. "

-© the methematician.
  • edited August 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    "Sooo if I can find the asshole, then this way must be north! We're not lost anymore. I knew that'd come in handy some day."

make printouts and past them all over grade schools. Tell the kids that this is what Orion does when Sagittarius is approaching him. The greeks didn't join the torso of a man with the body of a horse over no reason you kno ....