LSD and health.

white rabbitwhite rabbit Acolyte
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
"If it makes you feel pure and clean, it can't hurt you right?"

:facepalm:

What are the actual risks for physical and mental health over an extended period of time?

Comments

• ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Rampant egomania, but besides that not much.
  • white rabbitwhite rabbit Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Oh, yeah? Like....
  • TripleDotTripleDot New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Being totally spaced out and paranoid for the rest of your days?
    edited July 2010
    Oh, yeah? Like....

...Like thinking you're far more enlightened/smarter/sexier/cooler than anyone else because of yr LSD use.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited July 2010
    What about not being able to tell reality from otherwise? Myth?
    edited July 2010
    yr...

Ha, got you.
    edited July 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    What about not being able to tell reality from otherwise? Myth?

Unless you have a predisposition to mental illness and/or delusions, total myth. I'm kinda convinced that most permafries are just douchebags that need to be slapped upside the head but I might have just dealt with one too many fry tards. :o:o

Of course, rational disputes on what one considers reality is very common. F'r instance, I might be a believer in the existence of say, faeries or aliens, although I know very well that my belief in them is not universal and that such things are considered eccentricities.
    edited July 2010
    Right so even these fantastic things we consider real, most don't, but to have an understanding of that and to apply that as you would anything else... what is the issue?

Some people just take everything to their heads.

Edit - I don't believe in faeries :P
    edited July 2010
    The real issue with most schizophrenics is not really the integration of reality or personal beliefs that they have, because in this realm we are all quite a bit crazy. However, many schizophrenics lose a key part of social awareness that acts as a sort of inhibitor for declaring the world to be made of marshmallows & orgasms.
    edited July 2010
    I feel that if I keep along this path I too will lose my social abilities, what are left of them anyway. Guess it doesn't matter if I'm trying to go down the monk path.
  • edited July 2010
    I assume with enough consumed, over time cardiovascular effects akin to those found in psilocin overexposure would result and be marked by cardiotoxicity.
    edited July 2010
    I assume with enough consumed, over time cardiovascular effects akin to those found in psilocin overexposure would result and be marked by cardiotoxicity.

Ok, but how can you compare this chem to psilocin? I don't see the basis for that, but then again I am a chemistry noob.

800px-LSD_2D%2C_3D.png

800px-Psilocin_chemical_structure.png
    edited July 2010
    The monastic life is in no way anti-social. There's no need to be afraid, just educate yourself.
    edited July 2010
    Anti social or not, it doesn't really concern me. I'm trying to get over my fear of people either way.

Fear is a large issue for me, its crippling. I don't even post everything I really feel or want to say because of fear.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, but how can you compare this chem to psilocin? I don't see the basis for that, but then again I am a chemistry noob.

I would like to reaffirm this is merely an assumption based on my limited knowledge of organic/biochemistry. Despite their structural differences, both psilocin and LSD agonize the 5-HT subset 2A. The link to the article on cardiotoxicity is in the PDF thread in section II. Perhaps it could have different long termeffects in comparison to psilocin. Someone needs to knock up some mice.
    edited July 2010
    So aside from a few minor psychological side effects this drug has no negative long term effects?

Compared to cigarette smoking, the cardiotoxicity probably amounts to minuscule proportions.
    edited July 2010
    Pretty much. LSD was studied extensively in the 60's, enough so that we're fairly sure that it's about as nontoxic as it gets.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    hey. i took 4 hits of liquid acid earlier today. this has been one of the most enlightening days of my life (or so it seems lol)

why worry man? you shouldn't take life so seriously.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anti social or not, it doesn't really concern me. I'm trying to get over my fear of people either way.

Fear is a large issue for me, its crippling. I don't even post everything I really feel or want to say because of fear.

Well try this man, make full well thought out posts, even attempt humor if your feelin jazzy, try not to fear people especially online.

Then after making throughout posts you will have strengthened you ability to flow in social situations which in turn may help at the root of your fear.

Oh and some frying a little on LSD likely wont hurt.
  • edited July 2010
    Pretty much. LSD was studied extensively in the 60's, enough so that we're fairly sure that it's about as nontoxic as it gets.

This. You would have to take an ungodly amount multiple times every day for at least a month or so before something stupid would probably happen. After the first or second day of that kind of consumption no psychoactive effect would be noticed.
    edited July 2010
    ^^That's not true. I've fried for four days in a row twice now. LSD tolerance is poorly understood.
  • edited July 2010
    ^^That's not true. I've fried for four days in a row twice now. LSD tolerance is poorly understood.

Hell if I know. You know way more about biochemistry than myself so I'll take the gravity of your opinion over mine. I believe I have read otherwise, but it would not surprise me if some unaccounted factor shortened tolerance duration. It regardless (unless what I have read is wrong) is quickly rid by the body Please pardon me for asking, but do you know for sure the chemical you ingested was in fact LSD?
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    I feel that if I keep along this path I too will lose my social abilities, what are left of them anyway. Guess it doesn't matter if I'm trying to go down the monk path.
    I can't see why one would walk the path of the monk when there are heretics to be killing.
    This...
    ... Is hiding in this....
    800px-LSD_2D%2C_3D.png
    34825qh.jpg
    .... Causing this....
    I would like to reaffirm this is merely an assumption based on my limited knowledge of organic/biochemistry. Despite their structural differences, both psilocin and LSD agonize the 5-HT subset 2A. The link to the article on cardiotoxicity is in the PDF thread in section II. Perhaps it could have different long termeffects in comparison to psilocin. Someone needs to knock up some mice.
    Looky, there's a phenethyl group in there too!
    9jduom.jpg
    I put my money on 5-HT1A autoreceptor desensitization.
  • edited July 2010
    BungHole wrote: »
    I can't see why one would walk the path of the monk when there are heretics to be killing.

This...
    ... Is hiding in this....

34825qh.jpg
    .... Causing this....
    Looky, there's a phenethyl group in there too!
    9jduom.jpg

I put my money on 5-HT1A autoreceptor desensitization.

Man, I did not see that phenethyl shape in the back bone. You and this site have much to teach me in the coming years ....
  • edited August 2010
    The only possible issues I can see arising from LSD use would be mental ones.

LSD is active in extremely small doses, so I don't think it would harm your body, and if it did, we'd know about it by now.

I checked out the "dangers" section in LSD's wikipedia article, and basically, as long as you're not pregnant or taking anti-depressants or other psychiatric drugs (Pregnant because LSD has been shown to cause uterine contractions in pregnant animals), you should be fine.\

What is the active dose of Psilocin? I can't seem to find any information, but I was thinking that maybe the active dose of Psilocin is much higher, and that the risk of cardiotoxicity is much smaller due to LSDs tiny active dose.
  • spl1ffspl1ff Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010

800px-LSD_2D%2C_3D.png

a phenethyl group...FUCKIN MIRACLES
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I did not see that phenethyl shape in the back bone. You and this site have much to teach me in the coming years ....

Unfortunately, I have developed cancer of the anus, and my time in this dimension has grown short....
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's probably pretty bad. It feels pretty bad, anyway.