I just installed a small aquarium

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Shit's already looking pretty cash. Anything I should know about keeping coldwater fish?

Comments

• SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Shit's already looking pretty cash. Anything I should know about keeping coldwater fish?

How big is the aquarium? What species are you keeping?

Anything I should know about keeping coldwater fish?
    Feed them.
  • edited August 2010
    Like, really fucking tiny. Also, I don't even know what species they are, I'm still learning. My mom gave me the fish ;)
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
  • edited August 2010
    Pics?

Can't - Lending camera to a friend for the weekend. Basically, imagine a fairly small, glass cube filled with water. Sounds like I'm insulting you or something, but that's all it is. Got a basic filter under the gravel, and a pump in the corner.
  • 007GoldenShower007GoldenShower New Arrival
    edited August 2010
    Get a fuckin barramundi
  • edited August 2010
    Picture, goddammit.
  • UnwyredUnwyred Regular
    edited August 2010
    Saltwater, brackish, or freshwater?

Either way, if they are coldwater fish, you're going to need to get both a good water heater that you can set the temperature it heats to on, and a chiller to ensure that the water temperature is properly maintained. A digital thermometer to monitor the temp variations is a must as well.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Nigga needs some alligators.
  • edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Nigga needs some alligators.

Hell no brah. Nigga don't need to be makin' commitments he can't keep, yo.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »

Im assuming goldfish?

nothing really. just feed them, and change the water every so often. Theyre the easiest fish to take care of.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Get yourself an African Ciclid. I had a Jack Dempsey and now have a Convict (both Ciclids). Dude, I go months without feeding this thing and it's still swimming around, haven't really cleaned my tank in forever either. All I do is change the filter every 6 months I've had it for about 5-6 years now.

My first one died because I moved and left him behind for a week, and he froze. He got so big I had to throw it in the woods. Also, they'll kill anything else you put in the tank, including other aggressive fish. They're very territorial.
  • metameta Regular
    edited August 2010
    Sharks nigga...Sharks!
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited August 2010
    Slappy wrote: »
    Get yourself an African Ciclid. I had a Jack Dempsey and now have a Convict (both Ciclids). Dude, I go months without feeding this thing and it's still swimming around, haven't really cleaned my tank in forever either. All I do is change the filter every 6 months I've had it for about 5-6 years now.

My first one died because I moved and left him behind for a week, and he froze. He got so big I had to throw it in the woods. Also, they'll kill anything else you put in the tank, including other aggressive fish. They're very territorial.

As long as you have a large enough tank, theyre fine with other cichlids.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    meta wrote: »
    Sharks nigga...Sharks!

Sharks is for bustahs, nigga.
  • metameta Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Sharks is for bustahs, nigga.

eels nigga, eels!
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010