Mathematics is not a science

ProtopangraphyProtopangraphy New Arrival
edited November 2010 in Tech & Games
Why should mathematics be discussed in the same forum reserved for discussions about HIV, genetics, and rockets? Pure mathematics and science are two very different things.

Comments

• MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah i agree, since my definition of science is "the process of understanding parts of our universe through observation and evidence". i would class history and economics as a science, but not mathematics

but thats not to say it isnt linked. i view it as a tool for aiding the study of science.

other see it as an artform, the discovery of patterns and whatnot
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mathematics is pretty much impossible to classify other than as Mathematics. It is one of the purest areas of knowledge, and permeates into almost all other areas. Whether it's a science or not is debatable, but we can all agree that that it's an important aspect of science.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mathematics and Science are a trade off of one another. More so that you need mathematics for science than you need science for mathematics.
  • ProtopangraphyProtopangraphy New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    You guys are talking about applied mathematics.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited July 2010
    Mathematics is the act of theorizing it, and science is the act of proving it? Something like that. idk im high right now lol.
  • Name's TakenName's Taken Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    "Science is the literature of Truth and Math is its language" :o:o:o

Seriously though, the reason they're grouped together is because mathematics is needed to 'get' a large portion of science. Physics and chemistry would be near impossible to understand without at least a decent grasp of mathematics.
  • edited August 2010
    The Methematician *IS* everything.
  • mantismantis Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2010
    "Mathematics is the science of patterns . . . The patterns studied by a mathematician can be either real or imagined, visual or mental, static or dynamic, qualitative or quantitative, utilitarian or recreational."

Keith Devlin, The Math Gene (an excellent read for anyone interested in mathematics or who would like to better their understanding of mathematics.
  • Levo75Levo75 Acolyte
    edited September 2010
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2010
    ^^^^^^
    First thing i thought of.

The lecturer that taught me first year engineering mathematics also did pole dancing for a hobby and was underemployed.
  • edited September 2010
    If you want to describe the word quailtatively be a writer, if you want to describe it quantitatively be a mathematician. Also, how did the mathematician get rid of his constipation.... he worked it out with a pencil!:D
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited November 2010
    If you want to describe the word quailtatively be a writer, if you want to describe it quantitatively be a mathematician. Also, how did the mathematician get rid of his constipation.... he worked it out with a pencil!:D

What about with a highlighter? (Had to.)

OK, in all seriousness, I think mathematics is kind of an area all of its own in the real world. Because science uses so much mathematics its very easy to group math in with it, and I think we have a lot of forums as it is.