The Matrix.

ChiChi Acolyte
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I posted this on &Z too but fuck you, I want replies.

Last night, I was really high and listening to this because it's cash as fuck. I was thinking about The Matrix movies and started to see a kind of underlying metaphor for the current state of humanity.

My idea of what the Matrix represents is very similar to Terrence Mckenna's view on culture. Popular pursuits of society include television, movies, celebrity gossip, fashion, pop music, magazines etc. People who pursue these things, as well as the cultural morals and values of their time and country, are "plugged in" to the Matrix.

The ones who have been "unplugged" from the Matrix are people like philosophers, artists, monks, yogis, acidhheads, buddhists, hindus and the like. People like this are able to escape from and become consciously aware of cultural influence, like the humans who have been freed from the Matrix. Consequently, the freed humans are generally misunderstood and even shunned by the humans trapped in the Matrix. Like the film says, they are so connected to the Matrix (their culture, ethics and values) that they cannot let it go and will even fight to defend it. Therefore, people plugged into the Matrix are the natural enemies of those who have freed themselves.

The reason I came to this conclusion is because of my distaste for the diplomacy and pacifism present in modern intellectual circles, especially those invoving spirituality and philosophy. The idea is that, through patience, compassion and diplomacy, people can be awakened to a new perspective or higher consciousness (unplugged from the Matrix). But I see this approach as unreliable. For example, a kind and loving Catholic priest who converts a convicted criminal to Christianity through his kindness and love, isn't really converting him to anything new. The convict is attracted to the kindness and compassion of the man, not the the story he is preaching. Therefore, any of the pursuits the convert makes as a Christian will be inevitably shallow, empty and unfullfilling.

Furthermo/re, there is nothing "wrong" (morals, I know) with treating anyone with violence or hostility if you want to do so. By treating people with the utmost respect and doing all in your power to give them comfort, you can only weaken them. However, someone who isn't protected from pain will be forced to mature into an independent entity who can defend themselves or deal with suffering without needing any support. There are buddhist groups who believe that we must never inflict pain on anybody, because an ideal world is one without suffering. But this contradicts the whole point of Buddhism entirely. Being a kind pacifist and treating everyone nicely won't stop suffering, it will just sweep it under the rug temporarily. Ending suffering can only be done from the inside out, and for the most part has nothing to do with what's happening externally (save for the obvious fact that the more pain you are forced to deal with, the better you will be at dealing with it.)

Case in point:

thich-quang-duc.jpg

There is no progress without struggle, and therefore this entirely kind and gentle sentiment should be abandoned. People need nurturing when they're in the womb. Being able to deal with and overcome suffering and difficulty on your own is the essence of maturity.

People don't need to be helped or nurtured, and they shouldn't want to be. Being able to free yourself by yourself is more important than trying to change the world on the outside. In the end, the latter leads us to nothing but comfort.

I don't think I'm the only one to draw these conclusions, and this is pretty much just stoned conjecture, but go on, argue.

Feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere.

Comments

• StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Chi wrote: »
    Furthermo/re, there is nothing "wrong" (morals, I know) with treating anyone with violence or hostility if you want to do so. By treating people with the utmost respect and doing all in your power to give them comfort, you can only weaken them. However, someone who isn't protected from pain will be forced to mature into an independent entity who can defend themselves or deal with suffering without needing any support.

Apply that to the next police officer who gives you a hard time for no reason or your boss. They probably wont get mad since you'll be strengthening them, just make sure you explain ^. Let me know how it goes.
  • Name's TakenName's Taken Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    The ones who have been "unplugged" from the Matrix are people like philosophers, artists, monks, yogis, acidhheads, buddhists, hindus and the like. People like this are able to escape from and become consciously aware of cultural influence, like the humans who have been freed from the Matrix
    I don't see why you've got hindis and buddhists there when I'm sure the vast majority have been raised to those religions and are as much puppets of society as the rest of us. The rest aren't necessarily better than everyone else either for that matter. Different perspective=/=better.
    Ending suffering can only be done from the inside out, and for the most part has nothing to do with what's happening externally (save for the obvious fact that the more pain you are forced to deal with, the better you will be at dealing with it.)

Case in point:

thich-quang-duc.jpg

I don't see how self immolation in protest of the corrupt administration of Ngo Dinh Diem and the way they oppressed buddhist monks, has anything to do with 'unplugging' people. Seems more politically motivated than spiritually. Just sayin brahhhhhhhhh:o:o:o

I do agree with you though in saying that people need to come to their own conclusions about life, the universe and everything.

Of cause I didn't really pay close attention to your post as much as skim read it, so if i'm arguing against something you didn't really say, I'm going to call you a nigger.:o
    Apply that to the next police officer who gives you a hard time for no reason or your boss. They probably wont get mad since you'll be strengthening them, just make sure you explain ^. Let me know how it goes.

We're talking about religion and spirituality and shit, of course it's not applicable to real life. :hai:
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    life, the universe and everything.

We're talking about religion and spirituality and shit, of course it's not applicable to real life. :hai:

^ made me smile and 2^ made me rofl
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited August 2010
    the matrix is a movie starring keanu reeves

i also posted this on &Z
  • ChiChi Acolyte
    edited August 2010

I'm not telling you to go out and hurt people without expecting consequences you ad-hominem spewing faggoty cock bandit shit dick. I'm just saying any guilt you may experience for inflicting suffering on someone else is unwarranted.

I will not debate you Gayme's Gayken.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    There is no escape from the Matrix. Fortunately, it doesn't really exist, either. There's no leaving because there's no coming.
  • Name's TakenName's Taken Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I will not debate you Gayme's Gayken.

aww you skee nyukka :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited August 2010
    I replied to the zoklet thread, this is my reply for this site i suppoose