I just came across my 7th grade yearbook…

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
In it was everybody’s “Where I see myself in the future” predictions. My classmates had written paragraphs about where they see themselves in ten years (so, today). I couldn’t bear to read mine, if I had even written one. Not just because it would embarassing reading in the style I wrote back then (trying to be funny, etc), but because… well… You know, I’ve achieved nothing.

God, it’s so depressing. I probably wrote something like, I just graduated medical school, since I wanted to be a doctor back then. But no, instead I’m sitting in my room writing a blog on how much my life didn’t go the way it planned.

It seems like just yesterday I was in the 7th grade, too. Where did the time go?

I’ll tell you where it went. It went trying to be the class clown. Trying to make my peers laugh in an effort to feel included. Well that turned out great didn’t it. I’m all alone, and I don’t see myself having a happy ending.

You want to know where I see myself in the future? I’ll tell you where. I see myself living alone in some crappy, rundown apartment, with a terrible job making minimum wage. I’ll spend my time watching reruns of Becker, or getting drunk at a bar. I don’t know.

Ugh.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I myself have noticed life that can escape you before you start to even notice it missing. How old are you? Fuck there are people in their 40's and 50's going back to college. If you poor brah, get a grant.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    I'm 20. I'm in college now but I have no friends or anything and I don't even know what job I want. I won't be happy anyway; fuck this. Life is so harsh. I wouldn't care if my childhood wasn't so great. If my childhood sucked, I'd be content with having a shitty life right now. But the extreme change has just made me so depressed.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have had the advantage of changing my mind about the future once a week since I was 5, so anything I wrote at any age would be contradicted quick enough for me to not feel bad about not achieving it.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm sorry it didn't "work out" for you. I think that America is a very fucked up nation in the respect that it tells its children bedtime stories about how they can achieve anything and how they are all capable of becoming the top _________ in their respective field. That's just not reasonable. Very very few people are going to grow up to become respected doctors, professors, intellectuals, etc. The idea that you've "failed" if you haven't become one of these is immensely damaging to people's psyches.

You have to realize your limits and set achievable goals for yourself (without resorting to blaming the world for how "poor" your life is--how you feel about your life is entirely up to you). So what if you're not graduating from medical school? So what if you sit at home on the computer? Life is objectively meaningless--YOU decide what you want to do with your life. I've decided that one of the main purposes of my life is to experience happiness as often as possible. If you're happy browsing the internet, posting on totse, and writing a blog, then what's wrong with that? Nothing. There is meaning to that. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Look into some existential psychology and/or philosophy. That stuff has really helped me when I feel like I'm "failing" at life. It helps you realize there's nothing to really "fail" at, there's just experience and what you make of it.

Anyway, this is where I see myself in the future:

backtothefuture_hoverboard.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Thanks ReclaimPublicSpace. +1 :)
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    Besides, most people who are conventionally succesful expirience very sensible pleasures and reasonable thought patterns. If the greatest pleasure in your life is your accounting job, your fatass wife and your valium then what is the point?
    edited August 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    Besides, most people who are conventionally succesful expirience very sensible pleasures and reasonable thought patterns. If the greatest pleasure in your life is your accounting job, your fatass wife and your valium then what is the point?

ha.. yeah... :)
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    Atleast you admit that you're the cause of your failure.

I hate hearing people blame it on other things. It's the economy, oh no!
  • edited August 2010
    I decided to stop failing and being a class clown when I was in high school - best decision ever.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I get depressed about this sometimes too. RPS you said it and it is so good and true.
  • edited August 2010
    I get depressed myself to be honest as I've tossed many an opportunity away and this world sucks, but I still live. Things to live for are always right under our noses but sometimes we get caught up in our own intentions and moldings for the world that we forget to love the simplicities of life. I could have been a student at Duke right now but I pissed it up a wall and have to work my ass off to attain even the minimum of my once possessed career potential.

Also, the only neurochemical imbalances involved in such depression would be pre-existing ones as I probably take less benzos than your grandmother.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    i c myself in the futchure driving a flying car and drinking spase wine cus ill b old enuff :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    I have had the advantage of changing my mind about the future once a week since I was 5, so anything I wrote at any age would be contradicted quick enough for me to not feel bad about not achieving it.

It must be nice being 11.
  • edited August 2010
    brandon wrote: »
    i c myself in the futchure driving a flying car and drinking spase wine cus ill b old enuff :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

define space wine
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    I see myself fucking some bitches in the near future
    edited August 2010
    define space wine

I too would like to know this. Do you know of berries that grow in space that have been discovered? Are they cheap?
    edited August 2010
    Erorr wrote: »
    Space wine is a concoction of a space bag of 12 dollar box o wine blended with a 50 hit vial of lucy.

That space wine will get ya!

Too bas brandon was talking about wine FROM space.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »
    I'm 20. I'm in college now but I have no friends or anything and I don't even know what job I want. I won't be happy anyway; fuck this. Life is so harsh. I wouldn't care if my childhood wasn't so great. If my childhood sucked, I'd be content with having a shitty life right now. But the extreme change has just made me so depressed.

You need to realize that life is what you want it to be. I don't mean you can instantly have $50 million or anything like that. If you want to be happy, it's up to you. Happiness is a mental state. If you're ok with how things are, then you can be happy. If you accept certain things, then you can be ok with them. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to improve yourself or get a better job or whatever, but be content and value yourself as a person. These are mental games we have to play. Sometimes I wish I were dumb so I wouldn't have to think about so many unpleasant things. So it goes. I try to be happy by enjoying every moment.

Focus on school. Work on being more social in your free time. Spend time browsing the web for things you're interested in. Try to study those things. Try to get a job working with them.
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    You need to realize that life is what you want it to be. I don't mean you can instantly have $50 million or anything like that. If you want to be happy, it's up to you. Happiness is a mental state. If you're ok with how things are, then you can be happy. If you accept certain things, then you can be ok with them. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to improve yourself or get a better job or whatever, but be content and value yourself as a person. These are mental games we have to play. Sometimes I wish I were dumb so I wouldn't have to think about so many unpleasant things. So it goes. I try to be happy by enjoying every moment.

Focus on school. Work on being more social in your free time. Spend time browsing the web for things you're interested in. Try to study those things. Try to get a job working with them.

I would like to add 'don't spend all your money on drugs' to the list.
    edited August 2010
    I would like to add 'don't spend all your money on drugs' to the list.

^ This. Only half your money.
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited August 2010
    boo hoo, you fucked up your past, and your life sucks now. Welcome to the club. Fucking deal with it and start doing things to improve your life. Go outside, move to a city where people are more social if you have to. Make friends, go to school, get a good job, live life, because life is only as good as you make it.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited August 2010
    I love the way society deems people living life alternately to what is expected failures...Its fucking hilarious.

To quote Trainspotting...

"Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream. Suppose that ah ken aw the pros and cons, know that ah'm gaunnae huv a short life, am ah sound mind, ectetera, ectetera, but still want tae use smack? They won't let ye dae it. They won't let ye dae it, because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure. The fact that ye jist simply choose tae reject whut they huv tae offer. Choose us. Choose life. Choose mortgage payments; choose washing machines; choose cars; choose sitting oan a couch watching mind-numbing and spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fuckin junk food intae yir mooth. Choose rotting away, pishing and shiteing yersel in a home, a total fuckin embarrassment tae the selfish, fucked-up brats ye've produced. Choose life. Well, ah choose no tae choose life. If the cunts cannae handle that, it's thair fuckin problem. As Harry Launder sais, ah jist intend tae keep right on to the end of the road..."
    edited August 2010
    FON wrote: »
    I love the way society deems people living life alternately to what is expected failures...Its fucking hilarious.

To quote Trainspotting...

"Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream. Suppose that ah ken aw the pros and cons, know that ah'm gaunnae huv a short life, am ah sound mind, ectetera, ectetera, but still want tae use smack? They won't let ye dae it. They won't let ye dae it, because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure. The fact that ye jist simply choose tae reject whut they huv tae offer. Choose us. Choose life. Choose mortgage payments; choose washing machines; choose cars; choose sitting oan a couch watching mind-numbing and spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fuckin junk food intae yir mooth. Choose rotting away, pishing and shiteing yersel in a home, a total fuckin embarrassment tae the selfish, fucked-up brats ye've produced. Choose life. Well, ah choose no tae choose life. If the cunts cannae handle that, it's thair fuckin problem. As Harry Launder sais, ah jist intend tae keep right on to the end of the road..."

Because Trainspotting was suck a brilliant piece of literature and such a cinematic masterpiece.
  • PopePope Regular
    edited August 2010
    ITT bitching about your own choices... oh yeah and
    brandon wrote: »
    spase wine:o:o
    edited August 2010
    Because Trainspotting was suck a brilliant piece of literature and such a cinematic masterpiece.

I needed subtitles for that movie. I had no idea what they were saying a lot of the time.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2010
    @OP
    If you don't like what you've got stop doing what you're doing 'cuz what you're doing is getting you what you've got.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    2006-09-21.jpg

only you can change it, brah.
  • PopePope Regular
    edited August 2010
    2006-09-21.jpg

only you can change it, brah.

nice
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
  • PopePope Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol the tab for this page in my web browser says

i just came
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't even see myself right now, so fuck the future, here's to heroin.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    Erorr wrote: »
    Space wine is a concoction of a space bag of 12 dollar box o wine blended with a 50 hit vial of lucy.

That space wine will get ya!

spase wine is wine from spase prolly aliens drink it if we ever discover them wich prolly will happin cus i saw a show and they r reel even tho the idiots dont belive that they r ok so ya anyways in the fuchure we will have spase wine :o:o:o:o
  • PopePope Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol, in mine i wrote, i will be dead, good thing i exceeded my expectations
  • PopePope Regular
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    Pope wrote: »
    lol, in mine i wrote, i will be dead, good thing i exceeded my expectations

Good job!