What happens if you microwave with the door open?

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
I've never been brave enough to try this out. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    time stops, the lights in your house go black, and a demon jumps out of your fridge yelling "ZOOL!"
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Well, actually if you're not close enough to it, nothing will happen to you but...

Just watch this:

And read this:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_get_your_microwave_to_run_with_the_door_open
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Id be willing to tryi t but I dont think you can with mine. Is there any way to get around the mechanism that wont allow it in most microwaves?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Id be willing to tryi t but I dont think you can with mine. Is there any way to get around the mechanism that wont allow it in most microwaves?

In the youtube video, they cut out the window.

Was that object microwavable? If it wasn't, maybe the consequences was due to the object, not the open microwave.

It's pretty much common sense that microwaving with the door open is dangerous and possibly lethal. Just interesting to see what the precise effects are :p
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    In the youtube video, they cut out the window.

Was that object microwavable? If it wasn't, maybe the consequences was due to the object, not the open microwave.

It's pretty much common sense that microwaving with the door open is dangerous and possibly lethal. Just interesting to see what the precise effects are :p

I wonder if I could get superpowers if I stuck my face in one:o:o
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if I could get superpowers if I stuck my face in one:o:o

Only one way to find out :D

superhero.jpg
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    DON'T DO IT!

Pain. INTENSE PAIN! It feels like your skin is burning. I know firsthand.
    edited August 2010
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    edited August 2010
    FakeAndGay.

He wouldn't die, but he WILL get cataracts. If he stayed in there long enough, (completely impossible due to the intense pain and the body's natural will to survive) He could possibly suffer brain damage.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well it's non-ionizing radiation but it would hurt like fuck and probably leave some nasty burns.
    edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Well it's non-ionizing radiation but it would hurt like fuck and probably leave some nasty burns.

That's what I tell people who are scared to stand in front of a microwave :p

But with the door open, I'd guess it would be a painful world.
    edited August 2010
    Indubitably, 3rd degree. But unlike infrared radiation microwaves start cooking from the inside.
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    FakeAndGay.

He wouldn't die, but he WILL get cataracts. If he stayed in there long enough, (completely impossible due to the intense pain and the body's natural will to survive) He could possibly suffer brain damage.

Well a ghost made him stick his head in there, I posted it because it showed a way to get the microwave to work with the door open.
  • edited August 2010
    DON'T DO IT!

Pain. INTENSE PAIN! It feels like your skin is burning. I know firsthand.

This. Anyone directly in front of a microwave without a door would feel as though they were being microwaved.

Isn't the military already using big microwave guns to disperse crowds and shit like that?
    FakeAndGay.

If he stayed in for ten minutes, I bet parts of the inside of his head would be cooked. Microwaves don't just heat the surfaces of things that they come in contact with.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    The ones the military uses don't actually cook people, though.