Its official, black people cant swim...

MorningsideMorningside Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Man saved teen, couldn't stop 6 from drowning
Nearly 70 percent of black children have little or no swimming ability
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38559284/ns/us_news-life/

2 part question: Are you black? If so, can you swim?

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    LOL at the statistic directly under the story headline where the subtext would be :facepalm:. I see MSNBC catching flac on this one even though it's true.
  • Malcolm XMalcolm X Regular
    edited August 2010
    I am black. I can swim.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited August 2010
    Malcolm X wrote: »
    I am black. I can swim.

That's amazing!
    2zs7iug.jpg
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have noticed this first hand actually.

In high school, we got to go swimming in the summer since we had a pool inside our school, and literally 90% of the black kids gave in fake doctor's letters and letters from their parents etc, stating that they were allergic to chlorine and other excuses because they couldn't swim.
  • edited August 2010
    Same reason blacks got into basketball before they got into football (To play basketball, you only need to own a ball. To play football, you need pads, uniform, special underwear, helmets, special shoes and shit. It can be expensive.)

It could be that swimming costs money. One has to drive to the beach/lake, pay for entry (Sometimes), maybe buy swim-trunks, water wingies and shit like that. Hell, you might even have to get a pool put in if you don't live by one.

That, or it could be that blacks have less free time or something. Whatever it is, a statistic that significant could only be the result of something on a large scale, like the overall social and economic situation of blacks. Either their lack of money, their lack of social standing (Maybe people don't want blacks at pools? I don't go to pools often, so I wouldn't know. Maybe it's like country-clubs lol) or some other issue in the black community, such as negligent parents or something. It's not like niggers don't like water. They love swimming and shit. I seen't it.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    You have to learn how to, that's why. Lots of kids got crackhead parents or just no body there for em (white or black). Lots more got fine parents (not deadbeats) who just don't spend any time with their kids and parent them with a tv. Even more still have parents who probably never learned to swim their selves and never have the money to pay somebody to teach their kid.

It's not a race thing, how many white kids can swim :rolleyes: that shit's stupid anyway, fuck polls.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    I've heard that blacks have a harder time learning to swim because they have a higher bone density or something.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    That could also be true. Plus they got the more survivalist nature than we do, it might not be ingrained into their genes to be overly good at swimming because of that.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    In all the times I've been to the pool, I don't recall seeing more than one or two black guys. I remember one of them quite well cause he had magic skin. Whenever he got out of the water, the water on his skin seemed to vanish as if it had been absorbed or evaporated off. Even my mom saw it and was, "WTF NIGGER MAGICKZ?" (not the exact wording, but close enough :o)
  • usernameunavailableusernameunavailable New Arrival
    edited August 2010
    Perhaps black people never learn to swim because when their hair gets wet it gets all nappy and tangled.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    That could also be true. Plus they got the more survivalist nature than we do, it might not be ingrained into their genes to be overly good at swimming because of that.

Being survivalist would mean they should know how to swim in case they need to do it to survive. I think the main reason is most people learn to swim through either having regular access to a pool or swimming lessons. I had lessons as a kid. I don't remember many (any) black kids. If you don't learn as a kid, you probably are going to be embarrassed and not want to learn as an adult.
  • Malcolm XMalcolm X Regular
    edited August 2010
    This is about as scientific as one of those 19th century studies that concluded that black people were incapable of learning to read and write
  • SteppenwolfSteppenwolf Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    I have noticed this first hand actually.

In high school, we got to go swimming in the summer since we had a pool inside our school, and literally 90% of the black kids gave in fake doctor's letters and letters from their parents etc, stating that they were allergic to chlorine and other excuses because they couldn't swim.

Bullshit, I swim like a pro and didn't miss one session.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Bullshit, I swim like a pro and didn't miss one session.

That's why I said 90%

10% = You and Jerome.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited August 2010
    You have to learn how to, that's why. Lots of kids got crackhead parents or just no body there for em (white or black). Lots more got fine parents (not deadbeats) who just don't spend any time with their kids and parent them with a tv. Even more still have parents who probably never learned to swim their selves and never have the money to pay somebody to teach their kid.

It's not a race thing, how many white kids can swim :rolleyes: that shit's stupid anyway, fuck polls.

A lot more black kids have absent or neglectful parents because they are more likely to suffer from poverty, and more likely in turn to be involved with crime and live in bad areas. I remember when we had to study america for school and there were more young black men in prison than college. It isn't equal, you are more likely to be in a deprived area if you're black, this is not bullshit, it's just fact. Sure tonnes of white kids have the same problems but they are less likely to. Also the fact that large chunks of America have no coastline must be a significant factor too?

I'd imagine a far higher percentage of UK kids know how to swim that Americans purely because we're surrounded by sea so it's a bit of a necessity. Whereas if you live somewhere like Kansas, it isn't as much of a necessity?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    A lot more black kids have absent or neglectful parents because they are more likely to suffer from poverty, and more likely in turn to be involved with crime and live in bad areas. I remember when we had to study america for school and there were more young black men in prison than college. It isn't equal, you are more likely to be in a deprived area if you're black, this is not bullshit, it's just fact. Sure tonnes of white kids have the same problems but they are less likely to. Also the fact that large chunks of America have no coastline must be a significant factor too?

I'd imagine a far higher percentage of UK kids know how to swim that Americans purely because we're surrounded by sea so it's a bit of a necessity. Whereas if you live somewhere like Kansas, it isn't as much of a necessity?

It's fucking hot as hell in Kansas during the summer. You better have AC or be able to swim.