The Laser Thread

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
Ask all your laser questions here.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Fuck yeah, I need a new laser.

I need a laser which is bright enough that the beam is visible, and one which burns shit. It also needs to be good quality, and not some cheap ass japanese crap.

Price needs to be as low as possible.

Any help? I have no idea where to buy from, or what I'm even looking for.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    Same here.

I'm a lazer noob. Need something strong enough to burn rubber, or at least perforate the surface a bit. Price isn't a problem, what are the varieties and how is it's potent measured in?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think this is perfect for both of you.

Don't forget GOGGLES! It's a must! Looking at the dot at close range WILL damage your eyes.

There are 7 commonly available wavelengths right now. "Potency" is measured in milliWatts. Regular red laser pointers are 5 mW.

808nm Infrared
    650nm Deep red
    635nm Red
    532nm Green
    473nm Light Blue
    445nm Deep Blue
    405nm Blacklight

Apparent laser brightness.
    Eyesensitivity.png
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2010
    What's your opinion on the 1 watt blue laser that I keep hearing about?
    http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html
    edited August 2010
    My opinion is i'm trying to get my money back. I think I was scammed.
  • edited August 2010
    Where did you try and buy it from? Wicked lasers are trustworthy I think.
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Where did you try and buy it from? Wicked lasers are trustworthy I think.

Trustworthy my ass. They took my money and ran. Go with o-like.
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested in the one you recommended. Is there anything better than it? If I'm buying something, it oughta not be shitty. :mad:
    edited August 2010
    What do you mean by better? More powerful?
    edited August 2010
    What do you mean by better? More powerful?

:confused:
    edited August 2010
    :confused:

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. Something more powerful.
    edited August 2010
    You're gonna have to pay dearly...

300mW $339
    400mW $519
    550mW $675
    5000mW $8995

Prices have come down A LOT since last year. When I bought my 250mW laser last year it cost $526.
    edited August 2010
    ^

They look fucking awesome. Is there much of a difference between the 250 and 300 mW one, besides the price?
    edited August 2010
    Not really. It has a little more oomph but at those powers 100mw doesn't make much of a difference in terms of brightness. I'm saving up for the 550mw myself. I've heard good things about it.

However if you have never seen a high powered laser before, 200mw will blow you out of the water. I shat brix when i first turned mine on. I woudn't recommend anything more powerful if you've never played with this kind of laser before. If it can melt black and red plastic with a 2.5mm beam, imagine it FOCUSED on your retina and you see where i'm coming from.

Here's a waterproof 200mw. It's focusable too.
    edited August 2010
    What is with you and not replying dysgraphia?
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Have you come across any lasers that operates in the UVA band(320nm-400nm)at 2W or more with a decent operating life for less then $5k. The cheapest one that I could find that would be suitable was like $12k and theres no fucken way I'm gonna waste that much cash.
    edited August 2010
    You must be rich. You lucky bastard...

You have two options, DPSS or Excimer
    The only way you're going to get that kind of power is if the laser is pulsed, not CW. Be very careful with an excimer. I call them cancer rays, and one blast to the eye and you're blind.
  • KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    You must be rich. You lucky bastard...

You have two options, DPSS or Excimer
    The only way you're going to get that kind of power is if the laser is pulsed, not CW. Be very careful with an excimer. I call them cancer rays, and one blast to the eye and you're blind.

Nah I'm not really rich, my justification for being prepared to spend so much on a laser is because the project its for is the greatest idea for an invention I've ever had and probably will have and it needs to be created. The plan is to get it to a working concept stage, then get a high powered laser to prove that its viable for use on a commercial level..... then sell the idea and cash in because I don't have the expertise to make it into an efficient product. I'll send you a pm to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

A DPSS laser is pretty much the only option, with an excimer/KrF the wavelength would be to low and I'd run into absorption issues for what I'm trying to do.
    edited August 2010
    What is with you and not replying dysgraphia?

I'm sorry for the late reply. I must've been afk here and didn't check my subscriptions.

That waterproof 200MV looks like a mini-minigun. Hehe
    edited August 2010
    I think that's why they call it the gatlin.
    edited August 2010
    Any updates DYSGRAPHIA?
    edited August 2010
    On what?

I never said I was going to buy one.

I might however.

Can't reformat my iMac!! :angry::angry::angry:
  • edited January 2011
    Bumping this thread, because of the recent laser discussion in the Airgun thread.

I want to learn more about lasers - where are the best places to start reading, which offer information for complete noobs?
    edited January 2011
    How a green laser works.

l54-101.gif

Cheap chinese ones remove the ir filter and count the infrared as part of the output; that's why they are so cheap. A 200mw Dealextreme laser is only about 50mw green.
  • edited January 2011
    So if I was to buy a green laser, what specifications should I be looking for? Where is the line set between something which burns, and one which doesn't?

Also, can you see a green laser beam during the day?