Riding a bike

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Decided to get the bike out today and take it for a spin. Ended up biking cross country style, down a bunch of muddy tracks and shit. Was pretty good, interesting exercise and I feel pretty good after it all.

How many of you get out and cycle places?

Comments

• Fetus-SmasherFetus-Smasher Regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to bike everywhere, I have a $1200 full suspension mountain bike. But ever since I got my car, just havnt wanted to use it. Plus I'd rather use my non-existent free time for videogames.
  • edited August 2010
    I bought my bike knowing nothing about how they actually worked, and what was good/bad.

Turns out the shiny mountain bike in the shop wasn't really that good. It's still going strong after a couple years, but its given me a lot of shit.
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I bought my bike knowing nothing about how they actually worked, and what was good/bad.

Turns out the shiny mountain bike in the shop wasn't really that good. It's still going strong after a couple years, but its given me a lot of shit.

As long as you have a good frame, you can upgrade it cheaply. I had a blast upgrading shifters, crank bearings, and all other things. Just fix things yourself and self learn how it works, how to change parts.
  • edited August 2010
    Oh wow, that's a brilliant idea. One which, for some reason, I didn't even think of :facepalm:

I think the frame is alright, seems to be in pretty good condition too. What are my first steps to upgrading?

EDIT: I've just been looking at reviews of the bike I have, and every single person says it sucks. They also say its terrible as far as mountain bikes go, and there's no point in upgrading parts as most of them don't even fit on correctly, etc.
    edited August 2010
    Try the pedals, hand grips, seat, beefier tires, anything bolt-on. As you upgrade your tool inventory will grow, before you buy the parts make sure you ask what tools you will need, there are some wacky ass ones out there (crank-puller) and it will save time. If you get stuck, I'm sure Internet has answers.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to bike quite a bit. I loved to bike to this park about 15 mins away from my house cause it had an awesome hill to glide down. But once I got out of high school, I just sorta lost my will to bike :sad:
  • edited August 2010
    I think I'm going to save up and buy a new, hardtail mountain bike. Need to do a little research on these first though. There's no way I want to end up with a shitty bike like my current one.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    When I lived in Michigan, there were some pretty epic mountain biking trails to take. Just make sure you bring a tire patch kit.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I'm a big biker. I used to ride bmx, more street riding. Then I switched to a hardtail, mostly dirtjumps and light crosscountry and freeride. Then I built up my perfect bmx, but didn't really get in to riding any more due to physical complications. For my birthday I got an 1800 hardtail for 750 dollars brand new. One of my favourite bikes to date. I really hardly ride ride now, but I ride my hardtail both as a form of transport and for excersize.
    I only learned to ride a bike when I was ten I think. Ever since I loved riding, and I think I always will. Even if I'm not going back to semi-serious riding I'll still probably always use bikes as a way to stay fit and to relax adleast.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    bikes r fun. i like them. my bike goes fast. i ride past a house and a store. somtimes i ride 2 the creek. then i play and hunt. then go 2 the brige and steel som of my frinds moms cigerets and then SWIM goes under the brige and smokes them :o:o:o:o:o
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    I ride mine a lot. Typically just don't feel like driving, or had a few drinks and don't need any more trouble with johnny law.

I ride mine about 4 miles to get smokes about everyday. Relaxing to listen to music and not have people bothering you for awhile.

I had some guy say I look like a Frenchman because I was smoking while riding a bike. I think his views of other cultures are odd and a bit stereotypical. Whatever, If I want to smoke a cigarette and ride a bike, I fucking will.
  • edited August 2010
    I've suddenly become really interested in bikes, I want to move on from my heap of shit bike and get a decent hardtail, maybe start dirt jumping or something. I often find myself riding the cheap mountain bikes so hard that they actually break in the end anyway. Maybe something decent is a good idea.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I like riding my bike, but I never ride it TO places... because I've honestly never been good at it. I pretty much just ride around my neighborhood for fun sometimes, since my neighborhood is pretty quiet and laid back.
  • edited August 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    I like riding my bike, but I never ride it TO places... because I've honestly never been good at it. I pretty much just ride around my neighborhood for fun sometimes, since my neighborhood is pretty quiet and laid back.

I ride my bike to places a lot, actually. I think I'll probably keep my current bike for riding in general, in the rain etc.

Then if I get a good bike, I'll take that one to the trails.