Just a little heads up

The GeneralThe General Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
I know some of you are rebels and all but why don't we all attempt to cut down on our water consumption? I mean I have and have probably knocked my parents bill down 40 bucks and kept the fishies swimmin. I mean we all need to drink but 30 mins showers are not needed...

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I know some of you are rebels and all but why don't we all attempt to cut down on our water consumption? I mean I have and have probably knocked my parents bill down 40 bucks and kept the fishies swimmin. I mean we all need to drink but 30 mins showers are not needed...

I try to shower as little as possible and mostly water my plants with well water (the trace minerals don't hurt either :D).
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I NEVER bathe and I usually don't drink water (mostly juice). Hope that helps because my hair is starting to smell funny.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    I take showers under 5 minutes every couple of days. I also wear a stillsuit constantly.
  • edited August 2010
    Also, I recycle those plastic water bottles I use.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Even little things like shutting off the water when you're brushing your teeth help. I also shut off the water while in the shower to lather myself (also cuts down on body wash/soap usage). It's a little hard for me, though, because I am OCD and I LOVE handwashing. -__-.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited August 2010
    I NEVER bathe and I usually don't drink water (mostly juice). Hope that helps because my hair is starting to smell funny.

were do u think the water that makes the juise coms from???? it coms from hoses draining tons of water into a orchard thats were. the tree prolly asorbs half the water and the frute only osorbs like a qwarter of that half.... the most inefishint way of staying hydr8ed if ur trying 2 cut down on ur water intake.... :o
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited August 2010
    wood wrote: »
    I take showers under 5 minutes every couple of days.

I take showers about 5 minutes in duration. I do it every day though :\ it's routine to me, I have long hair and if I don't take a shower I feel like my hair won't look right since I sleep on that shit and what not. oh, I also don't use any soaps or shampoos or conditioners or any of that shit

wood wrote: »
    I also wear a stillsuit constantly.

Imagine the possibilities with one of those.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    Megalodon wrote: »
    I take showers about 5 minutes in duration. I do it every day though :\ it's routine to me, I have long hair and if I don't take a shower I feel like my hair won't look right since I sleep on that shit and what not. oh, I also don't use any soaps or shampoos or conditioners or any of that shit

Yeah when my hair was longer I pretty much had to shower every day. Soap and soap-like products are a waste of time though.
  • edited January 2011
    I let my government destroy wetlands disrupt natural processes and dump lead into black peoples drinking water :sad:
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    The oceans are full of water. :p
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    We pay a flat rate here, so I try to get my money's worth :D
  • edited January 2011
    Another good way to cut down on water consumption is to keep a pitcher of water (filtered or not) in your fridge all the time. That way you don't run the water for 30 seconds to purge out the shitty warm water every time you get a glass. I bet some of the totseans in more exotic places really appreciate whatever water supply they have.

C/O
    "dammit, I sound like a hippie"
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I never really think about 'saving' water - where I live in the UK we have some massive resevoirs.
    The decline of traditional heavy industry, together with more water-efficient industrial processes and better control of water supply leakage, served to undermine the original justification for the reservoir and many came to criticise the government-funded project as a white elephant.[2] In recent years, however, Kielder Water has come into its own, with underground springs ensuring that it always remains at high levels, regardless of the prevailing climate condition. This means that while the south of England is often forced to implement drought strategies and hosepipe bans, north east England enjoys plentiful water supplies.

Plus, pay a flat rate for water, not on a meter, so water is plentiful.
  • AD2011AD2011 Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    One thing nobody has mentioned is the fact that the water you flush down the toilet and use on the garden is, unless serviced with a special supply, drinking water quality water.

It's stupid to use water for these uses, think of the chemicals used to render that water safe for this purpose and the energy used at the treatment plant to get it to that quality.

I live alone so if I take a piss I just let it sit in the toilet unless I'm expecting company, it saves water and saves money in the long run.

I also try to recover water from laundry use to water the grass with.

I don't see any point of wasting any more water than I need.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited January 2011
    In Australia we've been talking about building 'grey water' infrastructure for years but it's too expensive and politicians can't think past the next elections.

We have a bunch of nice desalination plants here though....