Anti-social != wanting to live in solitude

jatorjator Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
I just thought I'd make this thread because I'm sick of people saying this. Wanting to live in solitude would be better filed under SAD, GAD, or depression.

Anti-social is burning animals and raping women (or having thoughts or desires to).

Not saying you can't have both but as far as psychiatry is concerned that is what those terms are used for.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck yes. I've been thinking of making this post for awhile. Good to see someone did it. I get so frustrated when people say things like, "Oh, he's shy. Must be antisocial."

Anti-social = against society

See related: sociopath and psychopath.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I hate when people confuse this shit. I guess it's an easy mistake to make since when someone is described as social, they usually mean in the outgoing, talkative way and whatever.

Still doesn't excuse this retardation though.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2010
    Asocial != Antisocial

One of those things that pisses me off is people not using them right.
  • vOmitreevOmitree Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    I figure a lot of people think anti-social just means being introverted, shy and wanting to be alone. Fuckers need to be re-educated. :angry:
  • edited August 2010
    OP, the correct term is "schizoid," in case you were wondering, of which I am a quite happy one.
  • jatorjator Regular
    edited August 2010
    OP, the correct term is "schizoid," in case you were wondering, of which I am a quite happy one.

I guess that works better than any of my examples.

Go expose yourself and get over it!
  • edited August 2010
    Hannibal Lector is anti-social. You are asocial/schizoid/avoident etc.
  • seanicusseanicus New Arrival
    edited September 2010
    Other misused terms: schizophrenic instead of Multiple personality disorder, and
    OCD. So many people think they're OCD for idiotic things, like they "have to" peel the paper things from notebooks off perfectly, or something else trivial.
  • highwaystarhighwaystar Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    It's the combination of the words anti- and social- that throws people off. Can't blame them. If they haven't had any formal psychology education, it's only logical to assume that antisocial means wanting to live in solitude.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    i like solitude. why else would i be on totse as much as i am. :P
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well that's why we have to educate people on the proper use of the term.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I prefer solitude AND enjoy killing animals and burning things.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    I also hate the "Oh you don't want a girlfriend? That's to antisocial/boring/weird"

No, it's called living life how you want to. You're happy being stuck to another person. I'm happy with not being stuck to another person.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited January 2011
    man i don't want to live with other people in the future; it's just going to bring more problems. living alone= more self development for me.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Lethargica wrote: »
    living alone= more self development for me.

That's the crux. Solitude = personal development to a point. However, you cannot develop much more as that takes the input, expertise and work of others.

I agree with you, but I hold this stance, too.