What anti-virus do you use?

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
I saw another thread on here, but I wanted to ask specifically what anti-virus and anti-malware programs do you use?

I use Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and Comodo firewall. I've found that Avira doesn't eat up tons of resources and scans fairly quickly (considering how much junk I have on my drive).

I saw a thread on slickdeals.net for a free year of bitdefender: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=419604&t=2174034

But Bitdefender got some bad reviews: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351561,00.asp?tab=Reviews

Avira, however, has a lot of very good reviews: http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html

I know some people prefer Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), but I can't find any reason to use it over Avira. I know a lot of people prefer AVG or Avast 5.0. Which anti-virus do you use and why do you prefer it?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I use MSE mainly cause I don't get those annoying popups that tell you to upgrade to premium. It's simple, and it's lightweight. From tests done by other internet people, it's better than or comparable to other free antiviruses.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Used Avira and MSE in the past. I am big fan of Eset Smart Security but I prefer Avast. Its light on the system and I like UI. [User Interface]
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    I use AVG since its free and im a broke bastard. Its actually not bad for a free download.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    On the computers I administer, I either install Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials. No real preference for one or the other at the moment. They are both lightweight, free and work very well.

I also have Malwarebytes installed, just to have a backup. It doesn't come with a real-time protection suite, so it won't fight with any other anti-malware software, but it's supposed to be an amazingly good scanner and remover.

I use Windows Firewall and I've told it to block all incoming connections and allow all outgoing connections. Not the safest configuration, but by far the easiest. I should change that some time.

Once in a while I'll scan a downloaded file before opening it or I'll scan my system, but my system has never been infected yet. Downloaded a couple infected files now and then, but they never got the chance to execute.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    I use Linux
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2010
    I use ESET Antivirus
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2010
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I use Linux

This made me lol. Thanks.
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have avast, malwarebytes, and adaware to keep my pc clean.
  • edited August 2010
    I use AVG, although I never really scan it. I just leave it running in the background. Oh, and I've got Spybot and Malwarebytes for spyware, although they never find anything.
  • MaDCoWMaDCoW Semo-Regulars
    edited August 2010
    MSE is free and works just fine for me. My second choice for any anti-virus software would probably be Avira because it's so lightweight yet powerful.
  • edited August 2010
    MaDCoW wrote: »
    MSE is free and works just fine for me. My second choice for any anti-virus software would probably be Avira because it's so lightweight yet powerful.

What's MSE?

Edit: Oh, is it Microsoft Security Essentials? :facepalm:
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Recently switched to Avast! I had Kaspersky before, but I'm not a fan of it at all. I use CCleaner occasionally. I really liked Ewido for Anti-spyware.
    edited August 2010
    Everything I've read shows Avira has a higher detection rate than other AV programs. Why do people pay for AV?
  • edited August 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Everything I've read shows Avira has a higher detection rate than other AV programs. Why do people pay for AV?

People usually get roped into it when they buy a new computer, and it comes with AV software on it. Usually something shitty like Norton, which runs out of the free trial period and spams them with shit saying "UPGRADE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR GET VIRUSES".

So that's why people pay for it.
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    People usually get roped into it when they buy a new computer, and it comes with AV software on it. Usually something shitty like Norton, which runs out of the free trial period and spams them with shit saying "UPGRADE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION OR GET VIRUSES".

So that's why people pay for it.

Wow. Sounds like the best scheme ever. I spent quite a while trying to uninstall norton from a friend's laptop. It said I didn't have admin privileges. So I unlocked the hidden admin account on windows (root user, basically). It still said I lacked admin privileges. I had to dl a norton uninstall utility (in fucking french. dunno why it was in french. thankfully i can somewhat read basic french). The utility got rid of norton. She couldn't update antivirus or antispyware programs. Couldn't even connect to the internet. I had to use my flash drive. It was kind of a pain. As soon as I uninstalled norton, Avira and MBAM could be updated and her internet worked.
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited August 2010
    Windows - Avast, GMER, Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall Pro, Immunet Protect, and Deepfreeze
    Linux - Avast, IPTables, RKhunter,and Deepfreeze

Never gotten infected once :cool: