Introduction to Trojans for Noobs

v0xv0x Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
Introduction to Trojans for Noobs
Written by v0x

I was thinking about trojans the other day, after reviewing some of my old h4xx0r1ng filez. I realized that most hacking noobs do not know how they work, or even how to use them. So I decided to make this intro.

Trojans work by using a client-server structure. This structure has two components, yes, you guessed it, they're called the client and the server. the client is usually the one that works as a control panel for your victims. The server is the little .exe file that you try to get people to download and execute. Back in the day, trojans were pretty simple. Someone downloaded the server, and you connected to their computer via the client. Then you messed around, keylogged them, made them into a proxy, etc. This method worked because back then, most people did not have routers, and did not have firewalls. These days, practically everyone has both. This really upset the trojan people, because routers can screw up communication between the client and server, and firewalls will reject any incoming connections. Because of this, you couldn't connect to your victims! All hope was lost, or so it seemed...

One day, some bright programmer came up with the idea of having the victim connect to you! This solved all of the problems (except the routers, which I'll get to in a second), and made it easier to see how many people you had infected. This method has a name. It's called reverse-connect. Reverse connect makes your computer act like a hub, and all the victims send a connection out from their computers, and to yours. You can't just automatically get a trojan and start going though. That's because of the routers, and how networks and IP's usually work these days. Routers often have a firewall inside them, and will also turn away any incoming connections. That's why you have to open a port on the router, to let the connection through. But it doesn't end there. You also have to have a static LAN IP. These days, LAN's work via DHCP. DHCP makes it so there's a pool of LAN IP addresses, and whenever your computer comes on, it just grabs a random address and starts going. This is a problem, because you may shut down, and then the previously working connection has no idea where to go! It gets lost, and your hard-earned victims are lost too. Therefore, you have to configure your router so that it reserves one LAN IP address just for you, whether your computer is off or on. This is called a static IP, btw. But we're not done yet, because the same dynamic IP problem applies to your WAN IP! It changes sometimes monthly, weekly, or even daily! Then your bots would be truly lost... But there is a way to fix this! It's called No-IP. No-IP is a type of service (almost always free, and there's many providers) that lets you register a domain name that you tell victims to connect to when you build the server. the victims connect to the domain name, and No-IP forwards that connection to your current WAN IP. You use software that comes with the No-IP account to constantly update your WAN IP. So everything works fine.

There are a few problems with trojans though. First of all, you're hosting the victims off your own computer and your own connection, which can get you easily screwed, and second of all, most No-IP type services have caught onto this practice, and disable your account the moment they see trojan-like connections. I used to use trojans a long time ago, and back then we were always on the hunt for No-IP sites that didn't disable your account. I looked into some of my old files, and found two sites that are worth mentioning: opendns.be and yi.org. From what I remember, the second one usuallly worked well, and didn't disable your account. If neither of these work, you'll have to go on the hunt, and find a new one. Trojans are a little skiddie-ish, and can be tough to get going, but once you do, the fun never ends.

Comments

• megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    nice piece vox it's really interesting and goes into not so much a how-to but a general info part though i hate to ask such a dumb question but is this is the main way people set up botnets since i want to try that in the distant future though again great article and thanks for it.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    megaman wrote: »
    nice piece vox it's really interesting and goes into not so much a how-to but a general info part though i hate to ask such a dumb question but is this is the main way people set up botnets since i want to try that in the distant future though again great article and thanks for it.

Botnets are just zombie computers.

And yes, this is the way to get a botnet. However it takes skill and effort to organize a successful botnet. :cool:
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, trojans are more of the skiddie version of botnets. There's no "official" name for a network of trojan'd computers under your control. Now, take note here that I'm talking about trojans such as PoisonIvy, BiFrost, Turkojan, etc. In general, the difference between trojans and botnets is that trojans report to an application (client) installed on someone's computer, whereas botnets report to a server or some type of network (which may be IRC, HTTP, P2P, etc.). Botnets are also often much much bigger than trojanets (my made-up word for them), are often created and maintained for long periods of time by very skilled people, and are often custom-coded or heavily modified from the original bot source.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    Botnets are just zombie computers.

And yes, this is the way to get a botnet. However it takes skill and effort to organize a successful botnet. :cool:

a little late but it does take tons of effort but when people have a botnet server of 1000's of computers and could take down sites with ease it must make it worth the effort but i think im going to start small when it comes to things like this
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck man, I remember the days of good ole Sub7 :D
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited August 2010
    megaman wrote: »
    a little late but it does take tons of effort but when people have a botnet server of 1000's of computers and could take down sites with ease it must make it worth the effort but i think im going to start small when it comes to things like this
    Yes, starting small is good. Lots of people get arrested when they go into botnets - even if they did start small.
    da teacha wrote: »
    Fuck man, I remember the days of good ole Sub7 :D
    It's back, google around ;)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    Awesome thread content v0x:thumbsup: