Life after death

edited September 2010 in Life
What do you think happens when we die? What would you LIKE to happen when we die?

Its so odd thinking about it. I'd quite like there to be something nice after we die, where I could see all of my friends if they've died too.

I also kinda like the idea of restarting life in the form of another person. Like when I die, I become a kid about to be born, or whatever. Then live life all over again. Kinda sucks that if this is true, you don't remember your past life :(

Anyway, I could talk about this forever. Your turn.

Comments

• CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited August 2010
    The act of dying itself may be significantly more complicated an event than we realize. It may have an affect on our conciousness that makes any perception of "after" seem arbitrary.

If death is just a loss of awarness then most people expirience it daily when going asleep, and if death is a reality transition, most people expirience it frequently when they dream. I find it meaningless to consider what happens "after" without any comparision to base the speculations with. Life and Death are really just words we like to apply to a largly unmapped reality.
  • edited August 2010
    death is a lack of consciousness. when you die, "you" don't exist anymore. so it doesn't matter what death is like, you won't be able to experience it. there's no scientific evidence for a "soul" or "spirit" or any part of you that lives on after you die--in fact, science has pretty much proved that the "soul" is really just a bunch of electrochemical reactions in your brain.

So what happens when you die? You stop perceiving the world around you. There's nothing afterwards.
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    After that last frantic dying shriek of my mind going under, birds, maggots and bacterium that once assisted me eat my thoughts and memories.

You are removed are misplaced with lies by those who think of your effect on their lives.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited August 2010
    Of course there is life after death. 'You' perceive yourself as individual, but you are actually very much everything else. In the same way that you are your beating heart, you are also the shining sun. You are the Earth, and all life that exists anywhere.
  • edited August 2010
    So what happens when you die? You stop perceiving the world around you. There's nothing afterwards.

Thats a real scary thought.
  • FiremindFiremind Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Thats a real scary thought.

Not really. The pointless struggle over, the mundane world about you vanishes, you no longer think of futility, love, grief, greed... It is quite, moving, but not scary.
  • edited August 2010
    death is a lack of consciousness.

what if our consciousness didnt die with our body, but instead just left our bodies ?

What then ??? what'd .... and where'd ths consciousness of ours go ???
  • edited August 2010
    what if our consciousness didnt die with our body, but instead just left our bodies ?

What then ??? what'd .... and where'd ths consciousness of ours go ???

Our consciousness isn't a separate entity that lives inside ourselves independently from our body. Consciousness is a function of the brain. When your brain shuts down and you get that massive rush of DMT and start tripping balls, that's the last conscious experience you're going to have. after that, there is nothing.

you don't exist anymore. soon, everyone will forget about you, and everything you ever achieved in your life will have had no effect on the universe. embrace it.
  • edited August 2010
    Our consciousness isn't a separate entity that lives inside ourselves independently from our body. Consciousness is a function of the brain.

How can you be sure that it's not the other way round ?? Like how you can argue that we're actually being pushed by the gravity, instead of being pulled by it ....
    When your brain shuts down and you get that massive rush of DMT and start tripping balls, that's the last conscious experience you're going to have. after that, there is nothing.

Is this a sworn testimony of someone who's experienced death firsthandedly ??? Or just something you made up in your intestines and pulled out of your ass ???
    you don't exist anymore. soon, everyone will forget about you, and everything you ever achieved in your life will have had no effect on the universe. embrace it.

Which is why I bloged and posted and trolled rampantly and unceasingly ..... I seekth immortality ...
  • edited August 2010
    How can you be sure that it's not the other way round ??

That the brain isn't a function of consciousness? Because consciousness occurs in the brain. You don't need to be a neurologist, psychologist, or philosopher to understand it. It doesn't happen in my heart, or in my hands, or in my nose. Consciousness is created by the brain. That's accepted by just about every scientist.
    Like how you can argue that we're actually being pushed by the gravity, instead of being pulled by it ....

I can't answer this question because I don't understand it. "...the gravity"? Are you talking about gravitational force? What does this have to do with consciousness?
    Is this a sworn testimony of someone who's experienced death firsthandedly ??? Or just something you made up in your intestines and pulled out of your ass ???

From Wikipedia:
    Dr. Rick Strassman, while conducting DMT research in the 1990s at the University of New Mexico, advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near death was the cause of the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Several of his test subjects reported NDE-like audio or visual hallucinations. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases. Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like, insectoid or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[27] where the subjects were 'carried', 'probed', 'tested', 'manipulated', 'dismembered', 'taught', 'loved' and even 'raped' by these 'beings' (one could note the strong similarities of these bodily tests/invasions in other psychedelic experiences throughout time, outlined in Graham Hancock's "Supernatural"[41]). Strassman has speculated that DMT is made in the pineal gland, largely because the necessary constituents (see methyltransferases) needed to make DMT are found in the pineal gland in substantially greater concentrations than any other part of the body. However, there is no scientific proof of this.

I didn't make it up, but it's just speculation as of yet. It's speculation that makes sense to me, which is why I posted it. But I don't typically write things that I can't back up.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited August 2010
    consciousness occurs in the brain.

Really? That's interesting. Everything I've read on the subject leads me to believe consciousness has no location.

Of course, during consciousness, we are using parts of our brain, particularly the language center located in our left temporal lobe. But that is not the same as saying consciousness occurs there. When you are riding a bike, you are certainly using parts of your brain to balance, to control your legs and arms, and to interact with the environment. But we would not say that the bike riding is occurring in your brain. The difference between bike riding and consciousness, in this example, is that the bike riding does indeed have a geographical location, while consciousness still has none.

Obviously you disagree with that, so could you tell me where in the brain consciousness is occurring? And how you discovered this amazing fact?

Now then, you also declare that when we die, we cease to exist. I disagree. I propose that you are suffering from a feeling of separation or alienation from the rest of the universe. You feel individual, and I am suggesting that is a dream, an illusion, a play.

I suggest that you are actually the whole picture. You are the entire universe, and more. The 'individual' you identify your self with is like a wave surfacing on a very vast ocean. It may appear as an individual wave, but really it is the entire ocean that is waving. These waves eventually break and roll back into the sea, but the ocean keeps on waving and waving.

Yes you will die. But that does not mean you won't become alive again. I mean, you're alive right now, aren't you? It happened this time, didn't it? You grew out of this place. Why couldn't it happen again?
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    I try not to think about it, because when I do, I lean more towards something happening after we die, which is not the belief I find most comforting. >.< Just the way my brain works, I lean towards thinking something must happen after we die, but quite honestly, I really would just like to be dead, and then nothing. I mean, I'm good with the idea of this being all there is. It's like really backwards, I know, but that's just how I am.