Tiny motherboards

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
The picoITX standard motherboards are the smallest. Period. By motherboard, I mean it is still modular, and has standard connectors. They are perfect for small projects that need computing power. Linux and AFAIK windows can be put on them.

This one has upgradeable ram and even a VGA port.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwMKWn8sGeZCd6DjwsIcW49NZQoCovYr3jvsi-OoATCj5lUEI&t=1&usg=__iMI_Rb16Tv7LjiEfj7RA6gqzXP8=images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT41trYyuVIxO-SoEvwbuSUmZjL_9xhYRUwAqvR_uhnC1z37BM&t=1&usg=__15lERkyUTccy-vRJvvEj6jLaNmw=

Nano ITX is a bit bigger, but much more versatile. Some even have PCI card slots.

Super-Mini-ITX-Board-by-VIA-2.jpg

These are full-fledged computers, with processors in the GHz range. Discuss.

Comments

• TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited August 2010
    Power requirements? What are the upgrades they can handle? Max RAM? I like the fact that some have built in VGA, but its a bit of a dated interface. What about wireless options?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    So basically you could make a computer the size of an alarm clock with one of those? Impressive.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    Price? and what kind of case do you get for that?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Typically the prices are under anywhere from $50 to $150. As for specs and power, it depends on which one you get! Nano ITX and pico ITX are standards, not brands.

Some have wifi, some have other display ports. AMD, Intel, and VIA all make them. Intel even makes 1.8Ghz ones with the z540 processor!

This site has pretty much every one.

Cases? You can build your own, or buy one online. Here's one website that sells some. http://www.logicsupply.com/products/gs_l08

HOLY SHIT I LOOKED AT THE PRICES AGAIN. THEY ARE CHEEEEP!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    I have seen the Netbook series motherboard boards but this is just awesome. I imagine running these systems in parallel using PCI slots. Running VM would be AWESOME.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    These are awesome indeed. No fans = no noise & less power use, the perfect sleeping room server. Anybody know how reliable the hardware on these things is? How long would it last when used as a server (= constant operation, not on a very high load, but 24/7 uptime nonetheless)?
    edited August 2010
    I would imagine they are very reliable because they are made by the top 3 chipset makers. These things are typically used for factory automation, so reliability is key.

As for lifetime? (Assuming you replaced the hard drive/ssd every 5 years), likely as long as the capacitors last. Usually around 20 years, but if you replace the caps you could probably squeeze another decade out of it.

These do need a heatsink, but many times they are fanless. As for complete silence, you'll need an SSD. But a 2 gigabyte one for a server should only cost about $40.

Also, I looked at the current (ie not 2005 prices) and they are nearly all under 100 bux!

Here's a perfect mini-ITX for a server. http://www.mini-box.com/Zotac-NM10-A-E-INTEL-Atom-WiFi-miniITX

- Intel Atom D510 (Dual Core: 1.66GHz)
    - 1 VGA/ HDMI
    - 6x Rear USB 2.0
    - 1x SATA
    - 1x PCI Express
    - 2x miniPCI Express (1x occupied by WIFI card)
    - 2x DDR2 667 RAM - up to 4GB
    - 1 x 1x 10/100/1000 Mbit LAN
    - High Definition Audio<
    - 20 PIN ATX

With a SSD, and a pico PSU supply hooked up to a 12v power supply it'll be completely silent and passive.

I'd recommend looking through that website though.

I can only find one pico itx , but ebay turns up a lot more. They are not cheap however.
    I can't find any nano itx, but maybe i'm not looking hard enough.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    If I build one, I don't think I'm putting a SSD in it, 'cause it would mainly be used as a small file server and to download stuff at night while there's less traffic. A modern laptop harddisk should be silent enough while still allowing a decent capacity at a reasonable price.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Hopefully now that Intel has bought out Texas Instruments Cable Modem Division we can see our Cable Modems have some badass accessories :D.
    edited August 2010
    Amie wrote: »
    If I build one, I don't think I'm putting a SSD in it, 'cause it would mainly be used as a small file server and to download stuff at night while there's less traffic. A modern laptop harddisk should be silent enough while still allowing a decent capacity at a reasonable price.

If you ever need one, I've got a 2.5" 250Gb sATA Seagate you can have for $50. It's got windows 7 on it too.

And for what you're requiring there, This should cut it. $79 http://www.mini-box.com/D510MO-
    Needs ram, but DDR2 is also cheap as hell on ebay.
    PSU > http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80

media.nl?id=20569&c=ACCT127230&h=24fe05cfdda012864b2d

- Dual Core Atom D510 2x1.66Ghz
    - Intel NM10 Chipset
    - 2x SATA (3GBs)
    - Intel GMA3150 (VGA)
    - 4 USB 2.0
    - 1x LAN 10/100/1000MBit (Realtek)
    - miniPCI-Expres slot
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit, the VIA P720 pico can play 1080P video!

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    If you ever need one, I've got a 2.5" 250Gb sATA Seagate you can have for $50. It's got windows 7 on it too.

And for what you're requiring there, This should cut it ....

Thanks for the info.

And I can get a new 320 Gb 7200 rpm SATA 2.5" disk in a local store for €70, so I 'm not gonna take that offer. Are harddrives generally more expensive in the USA? The ones on that minibox site seem pretty expensive to me, even if I count exchange rates.
    edited August 2010
    It all depends on where you buy it from. Also, NEVER BUY A HITACHI. Every one I owned failed within a year with no abuse. I've never had a seagate fail, and I drop my laptop nearly every week. It has a 7200rpm 500gb seagate, and only two bad sectors after 38 falls according to the SMART data. It's also not the g-force protected one!