New Medal of Honor title allows you to play as the Taliban.

abusernameabusername Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
500x_moh2.jpg

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/08/medal-of-honors-its-just-a-game-argument-a-missed-opportunity/

So what do you guys think of this? Are any of you offended or anything? Sadly, we don't get to play as the Taliban in single player (which could have ended up being one of the most controversial, bad ass, yet so very insightful campaigns to ever be in a war shooter in my opinion). We do get to play as the Taliban, but only in multi player.

They really had a chance to show what it it would be like to see the world through their eyes. Their beliefs. Their convictions. I really think it would have been amazing to play as a Taliban soldier, who really believes he is doing the right thing for his people and Allah.

It could of showed us something that every action film, documentary and mini-series has failed to show.. the REAL Taliban.. they are just as human as you and me, though maybe a bit deluded... or perhaps we are the deluded ones? But that discussion will be saved for a suitable forum section..

Anyhow, could have really taken video gaming to a whole new level with this, it's a shame the developers didn't have the balls. Sure it would have stirred up a garbage truck of controversy, but so what?

Thoughts?

Comments

• PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Key note of the article,
    They’re just multiplayer skins

It's just the same as playing as the OpFor in the other Call of Duty games, because they're supposed to represent the Taliban, just with the name softened so this exact argument didn't start. All in all, what difference does it make?

Just as abusername put it, the Taliban are people too. The article talks about how offensive it would be to kill American soldiers in the game, but how do you think the Taliban feel about the Call of Duty games depicting the killing of them?
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Playing a game campaign as Taliban would have been a real breakthrough. Sadly it probably never would have made it to the market. Even then it would've been leaked somehow and we'd get to play. Too bad that isn't what they went for.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    I would have loved to played as the Taliban in the campaign! Something different, see through their eyes etc. Its pretty much the same with movies you rarely ever see the bad guy win.

I've wanted this with Killzone. You always have to play as obnoxious American jock types with a story that glorifies them, but why can't you play as the Helghast and see their point of view?

Games like inFamous and Red Dead Redemption are pushing these ideas of giving you the choice whether you're good or evil, which is awesome and I hope to see more of the newer games :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2010
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Medal of Honor (MoH) is the name of a series of first-person shooter games set in World War II, and with an upcoming title based on the conflicts of present day Afghanistan that will be released in October 2010.

Nope. I'd be willing to bet that this'll be on Fox News at some point, though.
    edited August 2010
    I just saw it on the NZ news before :thumbsup:

And I just found this too UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban
  • edited August 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    I just saw it on the NZ news before :thumbsup:

And I just found this too UK Defence Secretary Calls for Medal of Honor Ban

What a cunt.
    Fox wrote:
    "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

And the Taliban that we've been killing are all single, childless men?
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolf states that thou can play as a Nazi in many games, but Rolf supposes that the Nazis were nowhere as evil as the Taliban, who are well known for their attempts at ethnic cleansing.
  • edited August 2010
    ARG, people like that guy make me fucking sick. Grow up, you prick - its a fucking GAME.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    well, its not really a new thing to play as the bad guy, is it?

but im really hoping for an Renegade style production of Command and Conquer: Generals.
  • edited August 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    well, its not really a new thing to play as the bad guy, is it?

but im really hoping for an Renegade style production of Command and Conquer: Generals.

This is the Taliban! It's completely different!

16504368.jpg
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    That's awkward.
    edited August 2010
    "At EA we passionately believe games are an artform, and I don't know why films and books set in Afghanistan don't get flack, yet [games] do. Whether it's Red Badge Of Courage or The Hurt Locker, the media of its time can be a platform for the people who wish to tell their stories. Games are becoming that platform."

- EA boss guy...

http://kotaku.com/5620426/ea-standing-up-to-medal-of-honor-pressure
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if you guys missed this, but you won't be able to play as the Taliban. That was the point of the OP's article.