Last US combat troops leave Iraq

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
The last American combat troops left Iraq today, seven-and-a-half years after the US-led invasion, and two weeks ahead of President Barack Obama's 31 August deadline for withdrawal from the country.

The final troops to leave, 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, rolled in convoy across the border and into Kuwait this morning, officially ending combat operations, which began in March 2003.

Former president George Bush launched the invasion, saying: "This will not be a campaign of half measures and we will accept no outcome but victory."

The war saw the toppling of Saddam Hussein, but became increasingly unpopular against a backdrop of heavy civilian and troop casualties, arguments over the legality of the conflict and a growing sectarian battle in Iraq.

NBC News video this morning showed the last Stryker armoured vehicles rolling through the border gate into Kuwait, officially ending US combat presence in Iraq.

PJ Crowley, a spokesman for the US state department, said that despite the departure being "an historic moment", the US mission in Iraq continued.

"We are ending the war ... but we are not ending our work in Iraq," he said. "We have a long-term commitment to Iraq."

NBC News said that the last soldiers to reach Kuwait were proud of the collective effort in Iraq.

"We are done with operations," said Lieutenant Steven DeWitt of San José, California, as his vehicle reached the Khabari crossing on the border.

"This was a professional soldier's job," he said, describing "a war that has defined this generation of military men and women".

"And today it's over," he added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/19/iraq-last-combat-troops-leave

I give them 5 years before the Taliban rules over Iraq.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    What exactly did they accomplish? :o
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    What exactly did they accomplish? :o

Well we killed far more insurgents than they killed of us. We overthrew there goverment and installed a democracy. of Course it was all for Jewish interests but still things were accomplished weather they were good or bad. Aslo

mission-accomplished.png
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    I really don't care what happens to Iraq. What happened there is done and over with. Many died in vain on both sides of the conflict and that's unfortunate that we allow ourselves to be pawns in an elitists worlds chess game. I have no hard feelings either way. It is what it is and that's just that.

I made one promise that I'd be "OK with Obama as president, being black and all, as long as he scaled down troop levels in half by the time he was out." He did that but scaled down 2/3 which is more than what I could have asked for. Because of that I won't bitch about him as president unless Iran kicks off and or Afghanistan keeps scaling up instead of down. We went to topple governments and show our cock off to the world. We succeeded. It's the fucking politicians that want to bullshit a war up and "farm" a broken country for nefarious purposes.

It's a goddamn shame we've lost roughly 5,000 troops, but at the same time we lost so few for what we've accomplished which history will acknowledge if we have another "Big War".
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    What a shame, the Coalition of the willing's nations have lost too many people and all that changed was a tyrannical, but stable, government has been replaced with anarchy, states Rolf.

Future invaders, Sir Rolf states that thou should attempt indoctrination of thine new subjects before allowing them to rule over themselves.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    LSA King wrote: »

I made one promise that I'd be "OK with Obama as president, being black and all, as long as he scaled down troop levels in half by the time he was out." He did that but scaled down 2/3 which is more than what I could have asked for. Because of that I won't bitch about him as president unless Iran kicks off and or Afghanistan keeps scaling up instead of down. We went to topple governments and show our cock off to the world. We succeeded. It's the fucking politicians that want to bullshit a war up and "farm" a broken country for nefarious purposes.

It's a goddamn shame we've lost roughly 5,000 troops, but at the same time we lost so few for what we've accomplished which history will acknowledge if we have another "Big War".

Iraq shouldn't have happend, it's hard to find people who argue that fact, troops included. Instead of dealing full-force in Afghanistan, we piddled away most of our combat troops to Iraq instead of dealing with Afghanistan. Shit even when I was in Afghanistan it was fighting over tiny provinces, on mountain faces, with jack shit for support or supplies as most was going to Iraq. We attacked another theatre when we didn't even have one locked down. Sound like Germany to anyone? We're just lucky it was sand people with piss poor organization rather than a real standing army.

And Iran, shit. I've been fearing that for a couple of years now. Hopefully that doesn't go down within 12 months, so I don't have to deal with it first hand. I've served my time, I'll be damned if I'm going to fight on another unjustified front.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    The only thing is, 50 000 soldiers and an unannounced number of PMC mercs are still staying. Wtf..
    edited August 2010
    The only thing is, 50 000 soldiers and an unannounced number of PMC mercs are still staying. Wtf..

Still have to continue to train their troops too. Which I don't understand. You use combat troops to train them. That's what we did. So saying no combat troops there is BS.

Also, they should take all the Blackwater shits, and Mercs, and line them up against a wall drive by with an M240 on kill mode and whoever lives gets to go home. Who doesn't, fuck 'em, let 'em rot.
    edited August 2010

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/08/24/number-troops-iraq-figure-mandated-obama-lowest-invasion

Yeah but if they said that people wouldnt feel like we had a "victory". It's all politics man.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited August 2010
    Lord knows what the future holds....
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Still have to continue to train their troops too. Which I don't understand. You use combat troops to train them. That's what we did. So saying no combat troops there is BS.

Also, they should take all the Blackwater shits, and Mercs, and line them up against a wall drive by with an M240 on kill mode and whoever lives gets to go home. Who doesn't, fuck 'em, let 'em rot.
    They've simply set up a middle eastern base of operations. It's been said but I believe this will be only one front of a new type of war.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/08/24/number-troops-iraq-figure-mandated-obama-lowest-invasion

Yeah but if they said that people wouldnt feel like we had a "victory". It's all politics man.
    I want them to shove it tho :angry:
    edited August 2010
    They've simply set up a middle eastern base of operations. It's been said but I believe this will be only one front of a new type of war.

I want them to shove it tho :angry:

:eek::eek::eek::eek: oh noes your not a patriot
    edited August 2010
    It's not real; it's like saying if you kiss a George Washington impressionist's ass then you will be forever an American hero. Who specifically is orchestrating this facade? That is unknown to me. But the staggering point here is that an entire country is being fooled by fatal theatrics.
    edited August 2010

So Fox "news" wants us to continue occupation for another 30 years? To do what? Make the current administration look bad? It's silly. Soldiers lives should not be a fucking agenda. That's where Nixon, and Bush hung themselves as the demons of the last 100 years. Both wanted to be the next FDR, but they went foward counterfeiting a bullshit war, on their own political behalf.

I saw a number of people I got to know pretty well die. Most of those guys in Iraq, not in the theatre I served in. Although I did loose Company and two squad mates in the shit hole.

It's all a political agenda to set up base of operations around Iran I believe. And to eliminate mobile weapons around Iran(aka Iraq/Afghanistan which we supplied).

If we really wanted to clean the mess. We would have dropped rangers, recon, and airborne(my division) units in a circumference and pushed as many of them as possible to the middle- And eradicated them that way.

I don't think we are trying to do so. We keep allowing them escape routes. I was there, in my last tour I was sitting in on large scale attack plans. We just make choke points pointing towards the northwest/southeast and let them flee. It's silly. Sitting in on that shit is when I gave up on this crap. I fought for my fellow soldiers, but I quit fighting this silly war.
    edited August 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    So Fox "news" wants us to continue occupation for another 30 years? To do what? Make the current administration look bad? It's silly. Soldiers lives should not be a fucking agenda. That's where Nixon, and Bush hung themselves as the demons of the last 100 years. Both wanted to be the next FDR, but they went foward counterfeiting a bullshit war, on their own political behalf.

I saw a number of people I got to know pretty well die. Most of those guys in Iraq, not in the theatre I served in. Although I did loose Company and two squad mates in the shit hole.

It's all a political agenda to set up base of operations around Iran I believe. And to eliminate mobile weapons around Iran(aka Iraq/Afghanistan which we supplied).

If we really wanted to clean the mess. We would have dropped rangers, recon, and airborne(my division) units in a circumference and pushed as many of them as possible to the middle- And eradicated them that way.

I don't think we are trying to do so. We keep allowing them escape routes. I was there, in my last tour I was sitting in on large scale attack plans. We just make choke points pointing towards the northwest/southeast and let them flee. It's silly. Sitting in on that shit is when I gave up on this crap. I fought for my fellow soldiers, but I quit fighting this silly war.

Your absolutely right. America has just created a fucked up situation in a country we had no buissness being in. We have to stop trying to police the world. Our soldiers and the innocents who died in Iraq over a lie aren't just numbers too be toyed with. All in all a very sad situation.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited August 2010
    But the private companies make lots of money when contracted soldiers die.