Allow thread renaming

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited August 2010 in Help and Suggestions
Hell, why not? Just edit the first post to change the title like on other forums.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    I agree with this. I dont see how it could do any harm. It would just be helpful.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, because the topic of threads is often changed on this site.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Yep. But all my threads are perfectly titled, so I'll never have to use it :D
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think there should be like a limit or something, so people don't just rename their threads to retarded stuff anytime they feel like it.
    edited August 2010
    I don't think vbulletin has a way to limit that.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    I vote "Yay" if we can find a way to limit them to one. If anyone could rename their thread however many times they want it would be too good of a tool for the trolls. I've wanted to change the name of two of my threads before but didn't think it was important enough to bother a mod.
    edited August 2010
    How about this. Unlimited renames, But if a user abuses it, the privilege is taken away from them.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    Why not just make a 30 min limit? That way it's not confusing and no one can abuse it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Pros: Makes it easier for users to change thread titles.

Cons:
    Makes it easier for users to troll using thread titles.
    Makes them lazy and in future they will fuck up more thread titles.
    Confuses the mods and me.

I don't mind allowing it, but if we're going to teach the new users we better have some restrictions in place that will force them into making correct thread titles.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Okay, according to the previous setting, users could edit their thread titles within 10 minutes. I increased the time limit to 30 minutes.
  • edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Okay, according to the previous setting, users could edit their thread titles within 10 minutes. I increased the time limit to 30 minutes.

Sweet, that seems like a reasonable amount of time. Thanks!
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Hooray for a non bullshit democracy or republic or whatever the fuck we are working properly as it should without politics. What are we anyway? We're some sort of society/community but it certainly isn't anarchistic and doesn't seem communistic.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Hooray for a non bullshit democracy or republic or whatever the fuck we are working properly as it should without politics. What are we anyway? We're some sort of society/community but it certainly isn't anarchistic and doesn't seem communistic.

We're are working under a hybrid system which is part dictatorship, part Nazi and part cummunity driven.

The Dictatorship rule applies to hosting and major site changes.
    The Nazi rule applies to flooders and troublemakers.
    The Community rule applies to everything else. From adding smilies to adding new sections.

Admins act as neutral parties and they follow what the community wants unless the community wants something that will cause problems for the community. It's a self preservation act. No matter how much users make polls and make noise certain things would never be allowed because they will harm the community. Like allowing CP.

Hellish acts as the Dictator and the community acts as the citizen but with powers to overule certain decisions.

I should write an article on this.
    edited August 2010
    30 mins sounds more than reasonable. I think any editing should be done in the first 5 mins after you post anyway, but this will allow people to fix their typos and whatnot.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    We're are working under a hybrid system which is part dictatorship, part Nazi and part cummunity driven.

I laughed my ass off. The thread renaming scheme isn't a bad idea as long as its not abused. Nothing drove me nuts more than trying to find an old thread on Zoklet and having some asshole renaming threads making it tough as hell to find some good content.

I don't see the harm as of now though so I'd be Pro.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    lol whoever said 'nay' is totally Totse's Hanz Moleman.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think we should be able to, just because of simple errors sometimes made on the title
    edited August 2010
    I still think it should be indefinite.
    edited August 2010
    I still think it should be indefinite.

Why though? What's the point of changing the title a day after the thread is made? People should think about the title, then make the thread, and have a little time to fix typos. If they can't make a good title to begin with, changing it a week later is pointless. I think 30 mins sounds totally fine.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    I still think it should be indefinite. Boo-urns!

Boo-urns!
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    Boo-urns!

I lol'd :thumbsup:

simps_boourns.JPG