How are you finding MODERATION?

SkittlesSkittles Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Yeah... a clone thread, but it has a purpose!

To all of the moderators. A lot of you had never moderated a forum before you came to .info, how are you finding it so far?

I had never moderated anything before, not even my daily intake of chocolate :facepalm: To me, I had always seen moderators as being some super important group of elitists that secretly controlled everything from the shadows, and talked about users behind their backs.

But... now that I'm a moderator myself, I see its nothing like that. A lot of the time I don't even feel like a moderator, just a regular user. Its actually really casual. I think Totses' mods mix well with the rest of the community. It feels as if we're no better than the rest of you guys, as with Zoklet it felt really noticeable especially with bolded names, avatars and usertitles.

So to all the users out there, what do you think of the moderation here?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd say you guys are doing a fine job so far. Although with the low traffic, you guys aren't reaching your full potential :p But nice job managing things from stickies to infractions to trashing garbages. Keep it up :thumbsup: Although it would be nice to see some mods be more active.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    Half the time I don't even notice that someone is a mod unless I look to see and usually I forget that they are. I credit this to the fact that every regular and mod here is a comfortable contributor. I don't see any current /fail mods so I think things are running as smoothly as possible. I think the certainly oncoming noobflood will prove their worth and they'll handle it just fine.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Im liking it I get to feel special;) Nah really its good because as of now nobody's doing stupid childish shit that needs to be punished. We have a good user base. I like knowing im helping the website in a way. Once the noob floods start mayby Ill finally get to use the banhammer but only if someones damaging the site. I feel like a regular member first and foremost though.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Its been 10 years since I've moderated a forum/website and now I'm being offered spots left and right. Weird how that works. It's going good for me getting back into the swing of things, but then again I'm doing the easy part. The forum moderators are the real worker bees here along with those in the community keeping things straight and focused.

Looking forward to becoming a Staff Member of PTM *crosses fingers*. Hopefully I get selected.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's cool. I'm surprised I haven't gone on a massive frenzy though. Maybe soon. ;)
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    It's cool. I'm surprised I haven't gone on a massive frenzy though. Maybe soon. ;)

You can go on a massive frenzy on me, rawr;)
  • edited August 2010
    I'm very much enjoying the moderation here: it's minimal, conscientious, and objective. Great job folks!
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Kind of boring, but I like having the infract buttons there!
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    What are they even for? I tried to flood this thread (for scientific reasons of course) and the following errors occured with my submission: fuck off and we're going to kill you :angry:. I was fine with cropping it to 15000 characters but now I'm supposed to remove 13 images to do the flood. VBulletin foil'd me again:facepalm:
    edited August 2010
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    What are they even for? I tried to flood this thread (for scientific reasons of course) and the following errors occured with my submission: fuck off and we're going to kill you :angry:. I was fine with cropping it to 15000 characters but now I'm supposed to remove 13 images to do the flood. VBulletin foil'd me again:facepalm:

nicetry.jpg
    edited August 2010
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010

nocombobreaker
    edited August 2010
    :hai:

All those guys are dead now. Bet they didn't expect to be seen on demand by anyone in the world. And by 2.5 million nonetheless.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd never modded a forum before, but so far I enjoy it. I really like S&A, and I want to keep garbage out. I've tried to keep my modding minimal. I don't like removing posts or moving threads, but it has to be done sometimes. I hope once traffic picks up things we'll have even more good posters. I don't even think of myself as a mod most of the time, only when I see bullshit in S&A to remove. Otherwise I think of myself as a normal poster.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    Well, since there aren't a lot of trolls, spammers, 12yr . . . etc hanging around here. I think the moderators have it easy :- P Things will get tough when the membership quota reaches its full capacity, That's when the moderators get to play and show their 1337 skills :- ) Personally I find moderators here open minded and not full of sh%t.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited August 2010
    My section doesn't generally get too much BS. Can't complain.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    I want to be a mod :(
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the way this place is moderated. I've never thought "Gee, why on did such a futility require the intervention of a mod?" and I've never thought "Somebody should KICK THEIR ARSES NOW!" either. That's the way it's supposed to be, I guess.
  • edited August 2010
    Mods are doing a great job so far. Like some people have said, you haven't reached your full potential yet and I think that when we have a shit ton of people over here, your jobs will get a lot harder. Keep up the good work though, it's not going unnoticed! :D
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    mods is workin well, enjoy all of them.
  • Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited August 2010
    What the fuck
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys are all doing rather well. Im sure most of you havent had to deal with any heavy pressure yet, but you would do well.

DFG is a good mod and knows how to handle things without the banhammer. if youre in doubt, im sure he would happily advise you.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm quite liking it, especially because I'm not exactly in charge of a hugely popular area, so I can focus on my education and not have to constantly be online. I do get to feel important as well, and I also can have a say in a few site matters.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »

DFG is a good mod and knows how to handle things without the banhammer. if youre in doubt, im sure he would happily advise you.
    QFT!:thumbsup:
    Dfg is always there to give advice, not to just the mods but to anyone in general. When having a conversation with him, he makes you feel like your on the same level. I get pissed when some mods try to talk you down. You can just tell they think they have extreme power over the masses......These moderators are obviously rapist.
    His casual approach to moderation is awesome, got a lot of supporters from it, guarantee he'll get a lot more. I don't normally jump to another forum just like that. Seen them come and go in zoklet, but when the bro moved I did to........(nohomo)