Six Feet Under

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Is it any good? I've heard it's a really excellent HBO series and debating on downloading it to bite the time until the Fall lineup. Unfortunately people suck at reviewing actual content of shows and rather discuss how good or bad they thought it was. Makes it insanely had to find out the synopsis and what the show is about.

Anyone have thoughts and care to explain the storyline a little better than IMDB? Many say it isn't one of, but THEE best show to ever hit television in history. Is that overstated? For HBO it's always a comparison to the Sopranos for drama, storyline, and acting is concerned. Are there any shows you can compare it to or that one might watch who would find this series a must see?

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    Six Feet under is awesome. Not much action, most of the show is in the dialogue though. But for me that's fine.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks. I was afraid nobody here has watched it/would respond. So you think it's definitely worth the watch then? I'm downloading now regardless since tomorrow is the last day of summer quarter and need something to kill the boredom.

Looks kind of sad though from all the trailers I've seen.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2010
    Idk, I looked it up on IMDB and Micheal C. Hall is in that shit. Maybe I'll give it a look.
    edited August 2010
    TLV wrote: »
    Six Feet under is awesome. Not much action, most of the show is in the dialogue though. But for me that's fine.

Well I just finished Season Two and working on Season Three right now and you're right, not much of anything to be honest. After the first season I had this "The Wire" feeling where it starts extremely slow and picks up more and more each season which so far seems about right. You can definitely see the difference in HBO 10 years ago vs HBO today where storyline took seasons to unfold compared to hard hitting like it is now.

I'm not sure how I feel towards it. After the second season I can't say I'm 100% for the hype I've read but there is something about it. It's one of those "TRUE" Drama series before Action and all the other genres merged to coin todays modern version of "Drama". After the first two seasons I can just say how fucking depressing this show makes you feel. The thing this show has over any other is the down to earth realistic view of a daily family drama with almost no script. It seems authentic and like you can relate to it on some level but unable to place a finger on what. I heard the Fifth season had the best finale of all time, kind of curious to see how it ends so I'll watch it. The dialogue is fucking deep though and that is all it is so if that's not your thing you might not want to watch or you'll think it's boring which sometimes it can be. Everything is such an emotional mind fuck. Hence depressing.
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited August 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Well I just finished Season Two and working on Season Three right now and you're right, not much of anything to be honest. After the first season I had this "The Wire" feeling where it starts extremely slow and picks up more and more each season which so far seems about right. You can definitely see the difference in HBO 10 years ago vs HBO today where storyline took seasons to unfold compared to hard hitting like it is now.

I'm not sure how I feel towards it. After the second season I can't say I'm 100% for the hype I've read but there is something about it. It's one of those "TRUE" Drama series before Action and all the other genres merged to coin todays modern version of "Drama". After the first two seasons I can just say how fucking depressing this show makes you feel. The thing this show has over any other is the down to earth realistic view of a daily family drama with almost no script. It seems authentic and like you can relate to it on some level but unable to place a finger on what. I heard the Fifth season had the best finale of all time, kind of curious to see how it ends so I'll watch it. The dialogue is fucking deep though and that is all it is so if that's not your thing you might not want to watch or you'll think it's boring which sometimes it can be. Everything is such an emotional mind fuck. Hence depressing.

I can agree with this. I have only seen the first season. But you can only watch so much of this at one time.
    edited August 2010
    TLV wrote: »
    I can agree with this. I have only seen the first season. But you can only watch so much of this at one time.

Very true. I just finished a grueling 6 days of watching roughly 8 episodes a day. I was mixed throughout the entire series whether I liked it or not or how I felt towards it. After the last episode though I can finally say the ending made it worth it as painful as it was to watch. it's such a mental mind fuck and emotional roller-coaster I often felt as if I never knew what was real and what was a "hallucination".

By far the best emotional drama (what the Drama genre originally meant) ever. I don't know if it's the best show ever as many claim, but I've never got so emotional in many ways throughout. I mean it rips your heart out, spits on it, and stomps on it throughout like it's nothing. No event is emphasized more than the other, its just what it is which is really weird. I wanted to scream the entire time because of it. As for its brilliance. Nothing I've ever seen has been able to emulate anything remotely to what I'd call this show, a TRUE Reality TV series. Everything seems realistic, non-hollywoodized, and just life as it is. I don't know how to explain it but it makes sense that I couldn't get a good feel on the show prior to watching it. Just don't expect anything from the series and know it's an emotional based show the entire ride.

I can't stress how good the final episode was, it was like FINALLY everything is going the way you wanted it to for the entire show. I've never been pushed to the brink of tears at the end than I was watching from beginning to end with the show. It is good but the expectations will be far different from anything you're expecting. I almost feel apart of the family that's how great it portrays reality.
  • Pill PopperPill Popper Regular
    edited August 2010
    This show was great
    completely under rated as far as I am concerned . it was always over shadowed by the sopranos

They ended the show on a bittersweet but satisfying way
    I could not stop thinking about the finale for almost a month

I have never enjoyed an HBO show like six feet under