Cooling down - Hot air out, or cold air in?

edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
What is the most effective way of cooling down the room? Do you let hot air out of the door, or cold air through the window?

Or even both at the same time? Perhaps with correct air flow, you could get the temps down. I dunno, I can't think.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Open window, open door, block sunlight with blinds or something. Put a fan in front of a bucket of ice or drape a loose wet cloth on a fan.
  • edited September 2010
    I think the biggest problem I face is the fact that the air outside is always so still, and never blows into my window. Opening the window just lets bugs inside, instead of cooling me off :mad:
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    it would depend on a few factors i guess. no sense opening a window if the air outside is hot. opening the blinds may or may not work, you just have to make a judgement as to whether the improved air flow will overcome the increased sunlight
  • edited September 2010
    In the end, I gave up. I shut down my desktop PC, opened the door and left the fan pointing outside. I moved downstairs with my laptop, and I hope to return to a colder room later :P
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem I face is the fact that the air outside is always so still, and never blows into my window. Opening the window just lets bugs inside, instead of cooling me off :mad:

For me its opposite, the wind outside is always so strong. If I open my window half my stuff will get blown around the room :sad:

You need to open two windows to get airflow, opening one won't do much. Even if the other window is in another room and the doors to the rooms are open it should flow.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah. Well, usually I get my windows open, and a fan pushing air out the door, through the house and out of a window on the other side of the house.

It kinda works, sometimes.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    I have this amazing invention called an "air conditioner". You should get one. They really aren't that expensive, and the damaging effects on the environment will never effect you, or even your children. You're grandchildren are fucked though, maybe, possibly, no hard core evidence...
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread was timed pretty nicely as I have just moved into my dorm under 90 degree weather. I dont know how many of you have been in a dorm but if you have you know what I am talking about and of course I forgot my fan the first day. Then the second day my douche of a roommate turned it off in the middle of the night like an asshole. Its still hot in my room but after 4 days of trying to cool it, it is much better.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    Fans don't cool rooms. They just move air. In fact it makes the room slightly hotter. What you need to do is have the fan blow over ice.

You can make an air conditioner from a dorm fridge too. The motors are protected, so they won't burn out. If they get too hot they turn off for a little while. It's important to hang the back end out a window, otherwise it'll just warm up the room more. You won't feel any cold air blowing out like an air conditioner, but the air will be about. .5* cooler. After a while those .5*'s add up.

5k6LD.png

Or you could just buy an a/c unit from craigslist for like $30.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited September 2010
    ok so whoever said fans dont cool rooms has never tryed 2 get a window fan well it dipinds on were u live but over here in california it gets hot in the day and very cool onse the sun goes down and then i open up the window and let the window fan do its werk of replasing the hot air in my room with cool air outside in a mater of a minit or 2.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    No he got taught by the lizerds foo. Yeah he is right though. THe fan is the only thing keeping my room cool. Proper use of shade and pushing around cools down my area and pushes it outside. As for the air conditioner, I wish, I cant have one. Only football players, resident people, and certain other fellerz get them. Unfortunately.
    edited September 2010
    Uhh, buy one? I don't think there's a rule against that. Just check craigslist.
  • edited September 2010
    Depending on the temperatures outside and inside of the room, I'd either open windows or turn the air conditioning on.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    Uhh, buy one? I don't think there's a rule against that. Just check craigslist.

No i mean we are not allowed to have em. Its one of the appliances that we cant have. They have the screens nailed in place to so there is no way to get it out the window.
    edited September 2010
    Then do the refrigerator thing. I doubt they have a rule against that!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Live in a walk-in cooler.