[Tao Te Ching] Personal I Ching reading

edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I Ching

The book of changes

bagua-map.jpg

I offer free I Ching readings and interpretations following the Toa Te Ching. Simply ask a 'how' or 'what to do' question. I shall flip the coins, do the math, present you with the hexagrams and interpret the readings.

Note: This is not a mystical religion, this not an Ouija board or some other witchcraft. When asked the correct question, this can be a powerful psychological tool.

Sun Tzu Ping Fa (Sun Tzu's Art of War) was written using this tool.

How does it work?
  • Ask your Question. Give some detailed background information about your situation. You don't have to sum up your life.
  • I don't need to know any other 'religious' or 'astrological' information.
  • I'd like to know your front name. Otherwise I'll just concentrate on your forum username.

What can't it do?
  • It can't predict your future.
  • It can't sum-up the past.
  • It can't answer with yes or no.

What can it do?
  • Give insightful new visions on your problem or life.
  • Redirect your thoughts to new possibilities.
  • Much more...

A bad question would be:
  • When will I die?
  • What will be the lucky number in the next lottery?
  • Is person x in love with person y?
  • Who is person x in love with?

A good question would be:
  • How can I live the longest?
  • How can I become lucky/happy?
  • How can I find love?
  • My tax bills are piling up and I don't make enough money. What can I do?
  • How can I best approach my husband/wife/bf/gf/bff/etc. with this?

Interested in a reading?
I'll do the readings on a first come/first serve basis.

Fill out the following form and post it:

Name: (optional but I'd like it)

Question: Fill in your question.

Background information:
Fill in some background information as to why you are asking your question. I use this to interpret what the I Ching system is telling me. Without this background information I'd have no idea what the I Ching is telling me what its telling me. (Again, this is not fortune telling. I don't 'magically' know whats up with you.)

or

General Reading Please
(I'll give you a short outcome of what the I Ching said about you. Good for day-to-day business, don't expect the outcome to be very durable. It could be good advice for a day, a week, maybe a month.)

Thank you,

KoB

Comments

• edited September 2010
    :( hmm. Totse.info isn't as busily visited as Totse.com was it seems.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited September 2010
    :( hmm. Totse.info isn't as busily visited as Totse.com was it seems.

well totse split up into at least 3 different forums after its death...

as for me I can't really think of a question
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited September 2010
    I read your thread, but I'm pretty fucking content right now. :D
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    It's great that you're offering this service, but the lack of requests may be due to a lack of interest. Like me for example, I don't care much for readings of any kind. Hopefully someone will come along that you can share your skill with :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2010
    Haaa...that's most unfortunate.

Did you know that the double-hexagram mathematics used in the I Ching are very similar to the helix configuration of DNA? Like with DNA, the number of possible outcomes is large enough to suit any unique situation you may encounter.

It's not really a fortune telling device but more so a treasure of advice for self-organization.

So how can flipping coins produce any kind of advice?

You may ask in disbelief. I asked myself that as well, when I first played with coins and a description on how to do it from an old book my grandmother had in her dusty closet. (She likes collecting all kind of otherwise generic/boring reads.)

I asked it some questions, flipped the coins, did the math and found out that every time; and I mean EVERY time, it told me something magnificent. 100% Accurate in 100% of the cases. Though I admit I had to interpret them somehow XD.

Psychology?
    Statistics?
    Mysticism?
  • ChiChi Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Haaa...that's most unfortunate.

Did you know that the double-hexagram mathematics used in the I Ching are very similar to the helix configuration of DNA? Like with DNA, the number of possible outcomes is large enough to suit any unique situation you may encounter.

It's not really a fortune telling device but more so a treasure of advice for self-organization.

So how can flipping coins produce any kind of advice?

You may ask in disbelief. I asked myself that as well, when I first played with coins and a description on how to do it from an old book my grandmother had in her dusty closet. (She likes collecting all kind of otherwise generic/boring reads.)

I asked it some questions, flipped the coins, did the math and found out that every time; and I mean EVERY time, it told me something magnificent. 100% Accurate in 100% of the cases. Though I admit I had to interpret them somehow XD.

Psychology?
    Statistics?
    Mysticism?

So why don't you just fucking explain the method to us so we can understand and maybe use it ourselves, instead of us just offering you questions and taking your word for it? You might as well be saying "Ask my opinion on your problems.", and then being at a loss as to why nobody gives a shit.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Chi wrote: »
    So why don't you just fucking explain the method to us so we can understand and maybe use it ourselves, instead of us just offering you questions and taking your word for it? You might as well be saying "Ask my opinion on your problems.", and then being at a loss as to why nobody gives a shit.

Then why not just research it yourself?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching
    www.sacred-texts.com/tao/taote.htm
    http://www.taoteching.org/
  • edited September 2010

A very good question! And as DS put it quite straightforward, there's a lot of information around on the net.

Basically what I do is this:

• I concentrate on the question at hand.

I want to create two Trigrams. This is a set of 3 lines. Each line is either broken or unbroken. To determined which lines are broken/unbroken I flip a coin 3 times. Heads = Unbroken and Tails = Broken.

The outcome could be this:

heads/tails/heads

---
    - -
    ---

I look up the name of this Trigram. In this case this Li (flame) After that I repeat the process to create another Trigram. Together this forms a Hexagram. For example:

- -
    ---
    ---

This Trigram is called; Dui or Swamp.

Together they form up a Hexagram:

---
    - -
    ---
    - -
    ---
    ---

This Hexagram (easily looked up now that I got both Trigrams) is called Kui and represents Polarization.

In perspective to the initial question the situation could be polarizing (i.e. groups of people or opinions between people are growing further apart, people are differentiating, etc)
  • edited September 2010
    My first name is Dom. I'll take a general reading if you don't mind.

For Mad,
    The coins are cast and the Hexagram was

- -
    ---
    ---
    - -
    - -
    ---

This consist of Tui and Chên. (Lake and Thunder)

My analysis
    The original text says that there is thunder under the lake's surface. From this comes an advice;

The wise person takes plenty of rest and shelter and waits for a the signs that it's clear to go.

In times of trouble or stress, you shouldn't try and solve everything quickly and/or throw yourself against it all the time (School? Work? Maybe a unique dilemma. It's something that requires a lot of energy.). Instead, take ample of rest in a safe and familiar atmosphere. (Your home, friends, family? Somewhere where you are at ease.)
    edited September 2010
    Ok my first name is John can I get a general reading?
  • edited September 2010
    For DS,
    The coins are cast and the Hexagram was

- -
    ---
    ---
    - -
    - -
    ---

This consist of Tui and Chên. (Lake and Thunder) However, unlike Mad's reading you have 2 changing lines. (I collored them red) These change into broken lines over time. This indicates that your situation is or soon will be X and gradually change into a different kind of situation. (One problem can lead to a next, for example)

The original text says: There is thunder beneath the lake's surface.

The wise person takes note of the tides, the lulling and roaring.

This means that you should take carefull note of the time you have to take rest between the times you have to work or exert yourself. Don't try to go against it but rather, flow with it.

This is very Tao! I can tell you, and although it sounds easy, it isn't. The path of Harmony is the right path for you at the moment. Try and find the most simple, most forgiving way of dealing with things for now. If you find moments that you can't do anything, don't stress it. Have patience and take a moment of rest. Be prepared to give way in some areas so you can make progress in others.

The changing lines indicate that over a period of time this situation will evolve into something else (hence your reading differed from the start from Mad's for example.)

The original text says that when counting the upper most line only (a full line) and its broken over time you beget:

The path ahead is strewn with blessings.

This is most interesting. It appears that the I Ching is foretelling a period of work to be done, of problem or at least something that requires your energy to be used very carefully. Don't overexert yourself, go with the flow, find harmony between rest and work and most of all find harmony between cause and (desired) effect. Know what you want to achieve and how much energy you need to put into it for that. Maybe some effects can be reached with less energy? Maybe you can get other satisfactory results by other means that saves you energy?

If you follow this path, it will be 'strewn with many blessings' which simply means you will be rewarded for it.

The transformed Hexagram (the red full lines are now broken) represents your ending situation in this readings. It is

- -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    ---

This is the Hexagram for Fu (Return, Rebirth)

The original text says: Thunder is regenerated deep inside the earth's womb.

Womb and rebirth speak of a new chapter in your life. Of course, actually being reborn is impossible for us humans to do. If it exsists at all, only a god could govern this. In this light being reborn has the meaning of being given a new chance in life, a new start so to speak. You have to remember, the Tao is written in the light of Social Interaction. To a great degree it concerns interpersonal contacts. It is very likely that your troubles and struggles, rewarded with many blessings, result in a new oppurtunity in life, with other people.

Be on the lookout for oppurtunities like this. In this world, we are ever more and more dependent of other people. So don't neglect getting to know new people, or know people you've known even better. Connections are the way to get more power, more money, better jobs, more spare time, etc and these are the things that make life so much easier for new things to do.

OK this was a large reading but the different elements requires careful interpretation. Again, you yourself know you the best. I'm trying to clarify what the hexagrams say so you can apply it best.
  • ChiChi Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Then why not just research it yourself?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching
    www.sacred-texts.com/tao/taote.htm
    http://www.taoteching.org/

LOLWUT.

I've read the Dao De Jing you immensely inept faggot. The I-Ching is not the Dao De Jing.

EDIT: I think I get it now. The I-Ching is just a more bullshit and arbitrary version of astrology?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Her name is Brittanie. Should she have sex with this guy who claims he's a virgin or should she wait?
  • ChiChi Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Her name is Brittanie. Should she have sex with this guy who claims he's a virgin or should she wait?

Wow, you really need to ask him? I thought it was common knowledge that you're supposed to solve all problems by flipping a coin and drawing some triangles.

You must be fucking retarded.
    edited September 2010
    Wow, you really need to ask him? I thought it was common knowledge that you're supposed to solve all problems by flipping a coin and drawing some triangles.

You must be fucking retarded.

You fucking retard. I wanted to see what the triangles had to say about this situation. :facepalm:
    edited September 2010
    I think there actually hexagrams:o:o
    edited September 2010
    Probably. I'm less concerned with the shape than with the reading.
    edited September 2010
    I know I just wanted the smug sense of satisfaction gotten from correcting it.