Russia!

DowneastaDowneasta Semo-Regulars
edited September 2010 in Life

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Downeasta wrote: »
    Whatch'alll know about that place, anyway?

No, but in all seriousness, I'm taking another trip overseas next summer, this time I'm bound for Russia to stay with a few friends. Is anyone on the board Russian/have experience in the former Soviet bloc? Ukraine?

I just need a little cultural help, weird laws, cig+booze prices, etc.

Spasibo.

Your not a minority right? The skinhead movement over there has grown huge and they basically attack non whites at random even on the busses and shit. Other than that it's cold and I'm pretty sure booze is dirt cheap. It should be a fun trip Ive always wanted to go.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Your not a minority right? The skinhead movement over there has grown huge and they basically attack non whites at random even on the busses and shit. Other than that it's cold and I'm pretty sure booze is dirt cheap. It should be a fun trip Ive always wanted to go.

:( FFFUUU, I've always wanted to go to Russia. I love Eastern European architecture, especially the ruins of ghost towns. Would the Asian part of Russia be any different?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    :( FFFUUU, I've always wanted to go to Russia. I love Eastern European architecture, especially the ruins of ghost towns. Would the Asian part of Russia be any different?

The people from the caucuses of Russia which is what I assume your refereeing to are the main targets. You'd probably be ok but you just gotta be careful. I was reading a story a few months back where this black dude was just walking down the street and got killed with a shotgun. The murderers only got 3 years for "hooliganism". The racial situation over there has gotten pretty crazy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_concert_attack

^^ that story there just happened really recently.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    Downeasta wrote: »
    Whatch'alll know about that place, anyway?

No, but in all seriousness, I'm taking another trip overseas next summer, this time I'm bound for Russia to stay with a few friends. Is anyone on the board Russian/have experience in the former Soviet bloc? Ukraine?

I just need a little cultural help, weird laws, cig+booze prices, etc.

Spasibo.

I've been living here a month, due another 8. Not exactly too long, but enough to get a feel for the place, and plenty of friends have wised me up on the situation here.

You'll notice at first that people appear rude and cold. A lot less people in the street will take the time to help you, especially if you don't speak Russian. It's not really that bad though, it just seems that people are a bit more reluctant to open themselves at first sight. When you start meeting people, many offers to have dinner, go out drinking, help you with things needing do, etc will start flooding in.

As for laws, they're non-existant if you have money. Girls, police, power, education, etc can all be bought for a price. Corruption is extremely rampant here, though if you're only visiting you're unlikely to run into any situations involving paying your way under the table. Unless you run into a bad cop who might try to accuse you of breaking some rule in an attempt to get some cash out of you.

Cigs are like 20 rubles I think. 0.40gbp.
    Bottle of beer in supermarket - 30rubles (0.6gbp)
    Beer in club - 80 - 200 rubles (1.60gbp - 4gbp) depends on how you roll
    1L vodka from supermarket - 250rubles (5gbp)
    Fast food meal - 250rubles (5gbp)

Though if you're going to Moscow, shit's going to be more expensive. I'm in da motherfucker provincial Russkieland.

Fuck, what else do you want to know?

www.foreigninfatuation.blogspot.com is my blog, where I've got some shit written about life here in Russia. Might wanna check it out.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010

It's not that bad. There's a shitload of Africans studying here and they by and large run into no problems.

It's like pretty much anywhere in the world. If you're in the wrong part of town at the wrong time of night, then you're going to attract shit.

If you're going about your business in daylight and not being an idiot, hooligans aren't going to be jumping out of bushes to murder you, etc.

Media loves to hype shit up.