Neighbors Hearing Music

I have a 5.1 sound system (thats 5 tweeters and a sub, for all you non-music people), and I often crank up that bass when listening to techno/drum n bass, just cos it feels good.

I was wondering though - what are the chances neighbors can hear my music?

They haven't ever complained, but even when I used to have a drum set they didn't complain... So I dunno. Does sound travel easily through walls? :D

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Are you scared they'll hear you listening to Kiss From a Rose all day? :o
  • edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Are you scared they'll hear you listening to Kiss From a Rose all day? :o

Hahahaha, STFU. I'm talking about hardstyle techno dude :D
  • edited September 2010
    You know it goes through the walls. You've been in traffic and heard music from several vehicles away, have you not?

I'd say use headphones, or place the sub very close to you.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2010
    for some reason i've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan recently and his harmonica isn't exaclty the most pleasurable sound, i wonder if the neighbors can hear it.

I've always been a fan but I'm actively listening to his music a lot more now...
  • JackJack Regular
    edited September 2010
    hardstyle techno

:facepalm:

I blast hardstyle and dubstep a lot and no one complains here. I'm in a little house set off from the apartments though so I don't have any thin walls to go through. Drywall, wood, stone, space, brick, and whatever they have as interior.
  • edited September 2010
    for some reason i've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan recently and his harmonica isn't exaclty the most pleasurable sound, i wonder if the neighbors can hear it.

I've always been a fan but I'm actively listening to his music a lot more now...

Hahaha, Bob Dylan's harmonica. I thought I was the only one who didn't really enjoy that sound.

Dylan is cool though. In fact I was listening to him earlier today.

Doubt the neighbors can hear it though, volume is nice and low right now :D
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited September 2010
    I play drums and blast my music like hell, the corner store knows when I jam and play drums so I know my neighbors can. but no one gives a fuck.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited September 2011
    My neighbors have pounded on the walls/front door of every apartment I've ever lived in because of my music. So yes, they can hear.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited September 2011
    crank the music then go stand outside/ at your neighbours house?

Most people don't give a shit really if it's not a regular occurence. I never used to have problems but the people living over the road recently has a baby and since then they have complained every time I've had my music reasonably loud.
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, they'd definitely be able to hear it. You could always ask them, but then that opens the possibility of them saying "we're sick of it, don't do it again."