Halo: Reach

abusernameabusername Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Halo: Reach is the newest installment in the Halo franchise, the final Halo game to be developed by Bungie.. and because of this, they are going ALL OUT. If you haven't checked out Halo before, now is the perfect time to jump into the series as Halo: Reach is actually a prequel to all the previous installments in the series (Besides Halo Wars, that takes place before any of the games I have mentioned).

Now what does Halo: Reach include? Why should you care? Oh, I'll tell you why you should care alright :angry:

Fully customizable character in every single mode (You only have 1 character, not seperate ones for campaign, MP, Firefight, Forge) with so many unlockables that Bungie says "It would take years" to unlock them all. A amazing reward system, they reward you credits for every single thing in the game, whether it be Campaign, Multiplayer, Firefight or Forge(Map making mode).

reach_screenshot_010_l.jpg

Amazing shooting mechanics, it uses hit scan technology for shooting which reduces noticable lag to well, a completely unnoticeable level. It also uses "Imposter" graphics rendering system to make the backgrounds look just as sharp as everything close to you, which looks fucking amazing if I may say so. (Example shown here - http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Reach/images/screenshots/80610/SCREENSHOTS/1920/Reach_TotS_Gunnar.jpg)

On top of that you can expect a absolutely stellar campaign as Bungie has literally poured it's heart, mind and soul into this game because it is their last installment in the Halo franchise. And of course, stellar multiplayer as seen in the other Halos, with a huge amount of improvements made to every single thing you can think of, whether it be customization, weapons, vehicles, physics, graphics, etc.

And on top of THAT, you get Forge 2.0, which is a absolutely incredible map/game making mode, so many things can be done in it, it's absolutely mind blowing. It is nowhere near the level of Gmod on the PC, but damn, it isn't all that far away, it even has some advantages over Gmod(they are few and far between though!)

149459_screenshot_09_l.jpg

The storyline of Reach is not one to be missed. Reach, the final bastion of Humanity besides Earth has been found by the Covenant, a alliance of numerous alien races who believe humans are heretics and defy their Gods, the forerunners. They are launching a full scale assault on the planet. The only thing standing between the unrelenting Covenant war machine and Earth is Reach and the Spartans, Orbital Drop Shock Troopers and UNSC Marines who protect it. If the Covenant find Earth, humanity will be completely wiped out from the entire galaxy.

You play as Noble Six, the newest member of Noble Actual.

So yeah guys, if you have been thinking about jumping into Halo, this is the perfect time to do so. Play Reach then if you wish you can play Halo 1,2, ODST and 3 all in order, to get a amazing story telling experience.

More information on Halo: Reach can be found on the Halo Wikia, located here - http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_Reach

Your not doing the below trailer justice unless you watch it in HD with headphones on :p (The elite at the end of the video is so strange to me.. why you ask? Because I once had a dream when I was much younger, of a elite with a energy sword in a dark room.. spooky :o)

Another cool video to check out if you like what I'm preaching - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9VRl0hgqbQ&feature=watch_response

Customization video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WD0RK578PY

Top ten changes to Reach video(I like these guys, make me laugh) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfqbZ6ZZguQ&feature=fvst

Amazing Reach Beta Montage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPeflHF8gQg

Sorry for such a long thread guys, but I REALLY love Halo, so I really enjoyed typing this up and hopefully I can bring that love into somebody else's life :) Don't read it if you don't want too.

Comments

• PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly I didn't enjoy the beta as much as the game's hyped out to be, but it is just a beta. Although I did have a crowning moment when I was in a Scorpion on a ten kill streak, got out, and noob-tubed some faggot jetpacking in the air. It was a beautiful shot.

But sadly, I have to choose between this and Black Ops, and I'll probably get Black Ops.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn I was just going to make this thread and noticed that you already did it. I played the beta. The first one wasnt all that great but there was some neat new concepts that look good. And if you kept on the beta that whole Spartans vs elites on live is actually a pretty cool idea. They kinda went all out in adding features but the style is going back to halo one which had the best of all the campaign's in it. Also when halo first came out I was a huge faggoty nerd and I actually read the first 3 books. And so I know the story and it should make a pretty decent game story. I am looking forward to it and think that it will be pretty sweet. But i am a hardcore gears and halo fan so my opinion is only based on my mindset.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited August 2010

Can't believe I left out the best video/best feature of Reach. Forge 2.0 is going to revolutionize console gaming like never before, it's absolutely amazing the things that can be done with it, n Forge world just by itself is so fucking over the top it's amazing. It's bloody HUGE!
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2010
    abusername wrote: »

Can't believe I left out the best video/best feature of Reach. Forge 2.0 is going to revolutionize console gaming like never before, it's absolutely amazing the things that can be done with it, n Forge world just by itself is so fucking over the top it's amazing. It's bloody HUGE!

Forge 2.0 looks absolutely awesome
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    The new forge is going to be epic. But because there is so many features now it it is going to take me so long to work on a map because there is so many options. I am really looking forward to it.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited August 2010
    Might be good, states Rolf, who hasn't liked Halo since the first one.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved it but the style of the first game was just splendid. And this is supposed to be more like that which is nice.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited August 2010
    Rolf wrote: »
    Might be good, states Rolf, who hasn't liked Halo since the first one.

This. The first halo will always be my favorite, but this looks like it could be good.

lol, hitscan technology? Hasn't that been around since doom? hitscan weapons hit instantly, such as gunshots (Not plasma, missiles, etc.)
    edited August 2010
    Yeah only certain weapons use hit scan.. oh and I'm pretty sure that in multiplayer, it is a completely new thing, no other console shooter that I know of has ever used it in multiplayer.

It's supposed to make the fights much cleaner and fairer and not as dependent on connection.

It also makes complete sense that the UNSC's weapons(and a few others I think) would hit instantly, seeing as they are future guns and the guns we have today already hit the target in like microseconds..
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    I want 360.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    So with hitscan, you won't have to lead any shots? I know Halo hasn't been much for ballistic realism, but that seems it'd make sniping too easy.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well put it like this I am seriously considering pre-ordering this I am trying to work out the latest I could do it..
    Anyway I have a biased view as I really enjoy the halo games, ok they aren't realistic but they are fun!
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited August 2010
    idk im really meh about this game right now. the beta was terrible and i didnt enjoy it at all. its funny how character customization is the new thing. black ops and halo reach are parading that feature around. its funny that vegas and vegas 2 had that way way back when this gen just started and no one really thought it was that significant
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like shit.
    edited August 2010
    ^ The only person who doesn't like Halo is someone who hasn't given it a real chance. :P

Just to confirm, I absolutely fucking despised it until recently. Now I love it, best series evar.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited August 2010
    idk im really meh about this game right now. the beta was terrible and i didnt enjoy it at all. its funny how character customization is the new thing. black ops and halo reach are parading that feature around. its funny that vegas and vegas 2 had that way way back when this gen just started and no one really thought it was that significant

This. R6V2 had a damn spiffy customization system and that was years ago. It's kind of sad that these billion-dollar franchises are only now looking into customization (Halo obviously had it before, but not to this extent).
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    abusername wrote: »
    ^ The only person who doesn't like Halo is someone who hasn't given it a real chance. :P

Just to confirm, I absolutely fucking despised it until recently. Now I love it, best series evar.

It would look alot better if I had a xbox.:o

Or a ps3, I would kill someone to play MGS4 and Rising .
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    FrY wrote: »
    It would look alot better if I had a xbox.:o

Yeah I imagine its pretty hard to like very much when you cant even play the game.
    edited August 2010
    New Live action trailer out, watch it when your high if you can and in HD, it makes it ten times better (Not that it isn't already fucking awesome)

• KamuyKamuy Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    For those that don't know the game has been leaked and can be downloaded and ran on modded xbox's
    edited August 2010
    Well i've pre ordered reach now just the standard edition..
    Sti I'm fucking excited for it!
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited August 2010
    I was an onyx 5th division in the beta, so I'm definitely getting it. Gamertag: KEEPitsREAL if anyone wants to play cod until then
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    Panic! wrote: »
    I was an onyx 5th division in the beta, so I'm definitely getting it. Gamertag: KEEPitsREAL if anyone wants to play cod until then

If I had live I would add you mine just ran out. When I get it back I will add you and we will reach it up mang.
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is looking good. Me and a few friends are gonna hit up legendary campaign straight away, should be some good fun.

I like what Bungie have done with the engine since Halo 3, with graphical improvements and Forge 2.0. We can only hope this game is as epic as it should be.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the way you think professor elm. Very much my thoughts exactly.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited September 2010
    Had it for one day and fucking love it. It's one of the first times I've not had any complaints about a new game
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    Just got it and because of the fact that I am in college I am going through it at a really slow rate. But nevertheless I have only stepped into the campaign and it is really well done. I still have yet to check out the improved firefight. The improved forge. And the live action. I cant wait to get my gold back this weekend.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited September 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    Just got it and because of the fact that I am in college I am going through it at a really slow rate. But nevertheless I have only stepped into the campaign and it is really well done. I still have yet to check out the improved firefight. The improved forge. And the live action. I cant wait to get my gold back this weekend.

My thoughts exactly. Good thing we're only three doors down from each other.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    Seriously, only three doors down? Damn.
    edited September 2010
    Bleh, the campaign was great but the online sucks, nothing to keep you on it really.
  • edited September 2010
    Bleh, the campaign was great but the online sucks, nothing to keep you on it really.

That's what I keep hearing. This one guy I spoke to this morning disagreed though. I'll give it a miss.
    edited September 2010
    It's a good game don't get me wrong but the campaign leaves you feeling very lukewarm..
    Also the online is just very lazy map recycling wise..
    That said still a really good game!
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited September 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    It's a good game don't get me wrong but the campaign leaves you feeling very lukewarm..
    Also the online is just very lazy map recycling wise..
    That said still a really good game!

Recycled halo 2 maps > shitty ass halo 3 maps. I mean, halo three only had guardian the rest were a complete waste of time, so they brought back good ones.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited October 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    Seriously, only three doors down? Damn.

We're gonna be rooming together soon enough.

To be on topic though, I just finished the campaign on legendary. Ending was pretty damn good and kinda tough at the same time.
    edited October 2010
    I've always wondered if the last bit after the credits, if it would be possible if you were a massive basement dweller to keep on going for hours?
    edited October 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    I've always wondered if the last bit after the credits, if it would be possible if you were a massive basement dweller to keep on going for hours?

You can probably last a while, but im pretty sure it becomes impossible pretty quick because you are meant to die. I died on purpose when I did it because I could'nt be bothered :D