Spiritual/mystical experiences and psychedelics

ObbeObbe Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
This thread is for us to discuss drug use in relation to spirituality. Here is some reading/listening material before we get started:
The experiences resulting from the use of psychedelic drugs are often described in religious terms. They are therefore of interest to those like myself who, in the tradition of William James,1 are concerned with the psychology of religion. For more than thirty years I have been studying the causes, the consequences, and the conditions of those peculiar states of consciousness in which the individual discovers himself to be one continuous process with God, with the Universe, with the Ground of Being, or whatever name he may use by cultural conditioning or personal preference for the ultimate and eternal reality. We have no satisfactory and definitive name for experiences of this kind. The terms "religious experience," "mystical experience," and "cosmic consciousness" are all too vague and comprehensive to denote that specific mode of consciousness which, to those who have known it, is as real and overwhelming as falling in love. This article describes such states of consciousness induced by psychedelic drugs, although they are virtually indistinguishable from genuine mystical experience. The article then discusses objections to the use of psychedelic drugs that arise mainly from the opposition between mystical values and the traditional religious and secular values of Western society.

http://deoxy.org/w_psyrel.htm

Any questions?

Comments

• white rabbitwhite rabbit Acolyte
    edited August 2010
    No questions, just experiences.

You know that listed effect under "positive" for many psyches as "life changing spiritual experience"? Well sometimes it's unwanted. Trips can bring out many underlying thought patterns that you might be repressing or not dealing with, so be prepared to face these.

Unwanted spiritual life changing experiences are the first to come (maybe) and will show you the dark, animalistic side of life. The side people talk about but don't get too heavy into.

Haha, this is just for some, not all.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited August 2010
    Trips can bring out many underlying thought patterns that you might be repressing or not dealing with, so be prepared to face these.

Sure. I think it's healthier to face and deal with and problems or anxieties a person may be hiding from.
    Haha, this is just for some, not all.

Eh. I dunno about that. Some people may prefer not to face these things. Or to grow. But is that really better? Is avoiding it really even an option?

Maybe not through psychedelics, but sooner or later everyone has to deal with those things they would rather not.
  • white rabbitwhite rabbit Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    To deal is to grow from, so if you aren't then you are not changing and remaining static
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited October 2010
    fucking nice, dude
  • ChiChi Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Unwanted spiritual life changing experiences are the first to come (maybe) and will show you the dark, animalistic side of life. The side people talk about but don't get too heavy into.

Unwanted? Those "dark" and "animalistic" states are the ones I chase after. I think it's stupid to go after good vibes or strong "positive" feelings and things like that. I mean, who wants to sit there and mentally masturbate? What does that do for you?

You should pursue the side of yourself that's normally easy to hide from, and just be totally freaked out by it, but welcome it. It will get stuck in your trip like a bad headache that you can't run away from, except its fear and uncertainty and melancholic depression. But this state is the most enlightening, because when you stop trying to resist this pain and let go of your ego, you cease to suffer. That's something I learned in a really strong and really dark shroom trip, which I later heard Alan Watts saying, and that reaffirmed it for me.

Alan Watts also talks about bodhisattvas as opposed to "private buddhas". Private buddhas chase after psychedelic or mindblowing transcendental experiences, whereas bodhisattvas recognise that there is no difference between a mind blowing, transcendental acid trip and just sweeping your floor.

This guy explains it pretty well in this article: http://homepage.mac.com/doubtboy/boring.html

Of course, if you want to experience it, don't go into meditation expecting it. That just hinders you. Just practice your zazen properly until it's natural enough to do throughout your day to day activities. It will blow your mind. :o
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Chi wrote: »
    Unwanted? Those "dark" and "animalistic" states are the ones I chase after. I think it's stupid to go after good vibes or strong "positive" feelings and things like that. I mean, who wants to sit there and mentally masturbate? What does that do for you?

Fucking this; dose with confidence and self assurance that it's only a chemical and your founded beliefs are unquestionable and simply watch that reality and all your reference points melt away - Sounds terrifying, but really the ego supports our biology and not our awareness, in times such as a 'trip' can you throw the balance to the latter momentarily and say: 'oh wow, i'm just an animal after all:o"

Accept that you exist only in relation to all things, and those 'dark' thoughts just become 'thoughts', because 'dark' is a subjective perception - we're shooting for the objective. :thumbsup: