How often do you change your passwords/email address?

edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
The reason I ask this is because a surprising amount of people don't seem to change their passwords enough. They use the same pass for every site they register on, keep the same email address for everything, etc.

I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid. I change mine every month or two - in fact I changed my password for &T just the other day.

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't change my passwords enough.

I use a different individual pass for anything linked to my real life and for every email account I use, and I change those about twice a year. I never type 'em in in a computer which isn't mine, so I don't see the need to change them more often.

In forum & site subscriptions, however, I use the same pass everywhere, but I use different online identities which I keep strictly seperated. So password reuse is a major security flaw, albeit contained to each specific online identity. If DFG / Hellish wanted to, he'd be able to log into my Zoklet and my old Totse account (if it were still around). And I've been using that pass for the last 3 years I think (could be 4). So yeah, I don't change my passwords often enough.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm thinking about having a total identity reset - all of my online activities rebooted with different usernames, email addresses and passwords.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about having a total identity reset - all of my online activities rebooted with different usernames, email addresses and passwords.

This really isn't a bad idea especially if you have been hoping around a few fringe sites.
  • edited September 2010
    Yah. Well, I keep my fringe identity and my social networking/normal shit identity totally separate anyway.

But even still, I really fancy a reboot. I'd lose my editor status on TOTSE though :( (If I had it given back, everyone would obviously know who I was)
  • stresstres Regular
    edited September 2010
    ^^ I think you're looking too far into it my man; I mean unless you let your ego way out of check on another forum and theres probable cause for somebody to target you for playtime I doubt thats at all necessary. I mean I've used this same user name for a metric-tone of fringe/drug/graff sites and although i was younger in the bombshock/totse1 and shit; i'm sure I've probably made a dick of myself on both here and early zoklet too and if somebody had enough initiative I'm sure they could pick out a post where I ask some stupid ass shit in attempt to humiliate me and it would be a pretty shitty thing to do but I'm not really scared of somebody actually going beyond slander you know? Pretty sure I've kept my ego in check and my e-identity isn't seen to be too douchie; but with text-based communication you can never tell..

i dunno dude; from what I can tell you're pretty respected here, no need to run back to the shadows now that people can pick you out of a few crowds. I think Dfg has it spot on; it's all about confidence in yourself without acting a cunt to others and although people will begin to associate you from one site to another and although it wouldn't be hard for his family to know about totse nor vise versa, it's all good in a way? I can't see him getting dox'd anytime soon..
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I never change mine. I really need to get better with my password security.
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Honestly i dont think i change my passwords often enough, luckily i use complex passes for things i want to secure, and unimportant things i just use random keyboard mash passes and save them.

Just practice remembering random alphanumeric numbers and break them down into easier to manage chunks a 16char random pass is easier to remember when you break it into 4 4 char blocks, and once you can do that, and type it without thinking,
    well its simple to remember another one and combine them to make a 32 char randomly generated pass, and use them in different combinations to create new ones, good fucking luck trying to crack that, its more feasible to try to exploit whatever software
    the pass is being used in then id imagine.

EDIT, oh just to clarify, such a large pass really should only be used for things of importance, not something trivial, fde pass, its a good idea, online banking if you use it ok, disposable email probably too much effort
  • edited October 2010
    I love all these methods for remembering passwords :D Keep them coming, they're really handy.
  • edited October 2010
    I have 4 main emails and i have a different password for every site. Sometimes it's a bitch to keep track of but at least i've never gotten hacked or phished :D

Same here. I often forget half of the email addresses that I'm using. Thankfully &T is pretty much the last place I post on. After this, I'll start again from fresh and forget all my other emails/passwords.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    Every month or so. It's a real hassle having them updated with my LastPass plugin, so I tend to avoid doing it and sometimes stretch it for 2 months.