Dox and us?

DfgDfg Admin
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Well, I kinda thought this would happen sooner or later and it's best we control it or limit this. Totse isn't about leaking users information, although we do carter to the wild side but that's where the IRC comes into play. Now, I respect that most users hate xyz and they try to damage them in whatever way they can, but that simple act puts us in some 4channish category.

Totse doesn't have any personal information ban and I like to keep it that way and yes the personal information content does get removed. What I am asking here to discuss this over and come up with a solution to this problem. I want to give users some freedom but at the same time protect the victims from legal problems.

Like it's okay to post a number since it can be used for prank calling, Facebook and twitter links are already public. What I want to avoid is the CCV, Social Security, Bank accounts and Addresses of the users. Pictures if found online should be acceptable.

The thing is, as soon as the information gets into someone else hand, they try to leak it but I know from experience that people regardless how much they hate [except for few cases] tend to avoid leaking the critical stuff.

So, Totse let's find a way to solve this problem because we will face this in future and next time it could be me or you. Karma people!

Comments

• stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    CCV, Social Security, Bank accounts and Addresses of the users.

Anybody posting this sort of information really isn't a good person. I don't care what sort of e-beef i have with somebody; I'd never disclose this sort of shit.
  • edited October 2010
    What about addresses though? They're available online already, with the help of the white pages and reverse lookups etc.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    What about addresses though? They're available online already, with the help of the white pages and reverse lookups etc.

Yeah, they're but it's better if you keep them out. Anyone looking for them would probably get the whole information anyway. Anything we post here is public and if something bad goes down, it's best if we protect Totse as much as possible.

There are other mediums to get things done :).
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    personally, I don't think we should publish anyone's personal data. I don't care about the zoklet rivalry and i frankly find it boring.

There is something simply unethical about all that and in my eyes it crosses an invisible line. I think what makes these communities so unique is the anonymity, we don't want to start attacking that.

Either way I'm very well protected from all that jazz and i'll stick to the sidelines. I just hope that all the people who do get into it use some discretion and remember that their targets are all real people.
    I remember someone posted a picture of a members sister - that really does cross the line.

It's the only reason i don't follow Dfg and totse on twitter and join all those FB groups.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    personally, I don't think we should publish anyone's personal data. I don't care about the zoklet rivalry and i frankly find it boring.

There is something simply unethical about all that and in my eyes it crosses an invisible line. I think what makes these communities so unique is the anonymity, we don't want to start attacking that.

Either way I'm very well protected from all that jazz and i'll stick to the sidelines. I just hope that all the people who do get into it use some discretion and remember that their targets are all real people.
    I remember someone posted a picture of a members sister - that really does cross the line.

It's the only reason i don't follow Dfg and totse on twitter and join all those FB groups.

I know how you feel :). Just make fake accounts :p
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited October 2010
    my stance is that if its related to the internet (social networking, email, pics) then its fair game. otherwise, it stays out
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    I definitely agree that the CCV, Social Security, Bank accounts and Addresses of the users are unacceptable because that can affect people's lives directly but the worst a facebook or a twitter can do is embarrass you on the internet (lol toothlessjoe).

Man, it's such a slippery slope though. If you have access to somebody's facebook/twitter you can find out who their friends are, where they went to school, where they work, where they live.

It's not like we'd show up at their job site and KILLLL THEMMMMMM but any personal information at all being posted without consent is the beginning of a bad thing. I'm sure we all have something to hide from the people we know in real life, and I like to think that TOTSE is the sort of place where we can express our feelings without worrying about them finding their way back to friends and family.

I think we should just remove posts/threads containing personal info as they pop up.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Bump for more views. Especially since Totse is now flooded with Dox. But don't worry we're not here to talk about killing or banning anyone. Just thinking of a way to set some ground rules regarding personal information.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Bump for more views. Especially since Totse is now flooded with Dox. But don't worry we're not here to talk about killing or banning anyone. Just thinking of a way to set some ground rules regarding personal information.

It is a necessary evil that must be allowed to continue.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    I agree with pretty much everything here. I'm a do unto your neighbour type of person, so if I do come across anybody's personal info, they can rest assured that I'll never release it. I certainly don't want my info plastered all over the intarwebz. Anonymity is probably the greatest thing that exists on the intarwebz.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Totse should stay anonymous. Part of the freedom of speech is not having your parents/friends/coworkers know what you think about shit. If my friends found my account here, I'd :facepalm: so hard. It would fuck things up. Honestly we should just avoid all personal info, remove it as it pops up. There's no reason to be linking everyone to people's facebook profiles. It's not relevant to totse.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2010
    I will never target or release the info of anyone on Totse. However I think everyone knows how I feel about the Zoklet staff and some of their lackeys. I will post anything I find on this group that will not break a specific written rule of this community. I joined Zoklet to help build something that Totseans could call home and zok fucked everyone. I sent him and Fish many PMs trying to be reasonable and I was laughed at and ridiculed for trying to do the right thing.

I think anyone here who remembers my first 5 months or so on zoklet can attest that I was one of the white hat wearing good guys. But this is the thing about me, I can be the coolest SOB you have ever met or I can be the biggest prick you can imagine. It all depends on who I am dealing with and how they have dealt with me. I am no different online than I am IRL. WYSIWYG.....
  • sAINTsAINT Regular
    edited October 2010
    i think we're all on the right page here..

there's a line between information and sensitive information
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    I think we should allow personal info except for totse users. Just dont allow SSN bank account or credit card numbers. In regards to what happens to people on other sites I dont think it should matter if it's not illegal.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    I really don't have a problem with letting people on here know who I am IRL. It's the stupid fuckers who start fucking with your family/associates that pisses me off.
    edited October 2010
    I think we should allow personal info except for totse users. Just dont allow SSN bank account or credit card numbers. In regards to what happens to people on other sites I dont think it should matter if it's not illegal.

Ed Zachery...
    edited October 2010
    Ed Zachery...

Wait what?
    edited October 2010
    Wait what?

Say it out loud and pretend your are Japanese.
    edited October 2010
    loligetit
    edited October 2010
    Say it out loud and pretend your are Japanese.

oh:facepalm: I get it now.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    please explain for me? :facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    please explain for me? :facepalm:

Perhaps this joke will clarify things:

A woman was very distraught over the fact that she had not had a date or any sex for over 5 years. She was afraid she might have something wrong with her, so she decided to seek the medical expertise of the well-known Chinese sex therapist, Dr. Chang.

Upon entering the examination room, Dr. Chang said, "OK, take off all your crose."
    The woman did as she was told.

"Now, get down and craw reery, reery fass to odder side of room
    "Again, the woman did as she was instructed.
    Dr. Chang then said, "OK, now craw reery, reery fass back to me." As she did, Dr. Chang shook his head slowly "Your probrem vewy bad.

You haf Ed Zachary Disease. Worse case I ever see. Dat why you not haf sex or
    dates."
    The woman asked anxiously, "Oh my God, Dr. Chang, what is Ed Zachary
    Disease?"
    Dr. Chang sighed deeply and replied, "Ed Zachary Disease is when your face looks Ed Zachary like your ass.
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

A woman was very distraught over the fact that she had not had a date or any sex for over 5 years. She was afraid she might have something wrong with her, so she decided to seek the medical expertise of the well-known Chinese sex therapist, Dr. Chang.

Upon entering the examination room, Dr. Chang said, "OK, take off all your crose."

Dr. Chang then said, "OK, now craw reery, reery fass back to me." As she did, Dr. Chang shook his head slowly "Your probrem vewy bad.

dates."
    Disease?"
    Dr. Chang sighed deeply and replied, "Ed Zachary Disease is when your face looks Ed Zachary like your ass.

Excellent explanation.... bravo
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    PERFECT! Thank you! :)
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited October 2010
    And this is why I come here..
    Adult/sensible conversation about the forum etc.
  • edited October 2010
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    And this is why I come here..
    Adult/sensible conversation about the forum etc.

Hell yeah. You're never far from this on &T.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

dates."
    Disease?"

Wow, never expected to read this here. I lol'ed.

Anyway, moving back to the discussion. I have read your arguments and suggestions. I will keep this debate open as long as possible. I just want this Zoklet shitstorm to end, so we can move on to better and important things. I already received some request regarding removal of information and I have told them, that we're discussing it [referring to this thread].

What I want is a system that will just down play these exploits. Like if someone posts it, the community regulates the content automatically.

Example:

A) I post xyz information. Phone, pictures, Facebook and normal stuff.
    B) The community responds to it and everyone has a good time.
    C) The mod sees it and waits for any complaints. The user complaints to the mod and the mod then ask the OP to remove the sensitive bits if possible or if the offense is a bit extreme the mod just removes the post [edits it out] and the poster doesn't get banned.

This is one way of going at it and it's not the best way but at least it reduces the amount of butthurt from users.

Example:
    User posts CCV, SSN and really private information.
    The community just boycotts it and the information gets removed.

^Now that's what I want. I want the community to decide it. We just agree to certain limits and if someone breaks it, everyone just takes him out. [Referring to a simple act of boycotting]. The mod remove the information and the user is left alone.

Banning and punishing him doesn't work because this is the Internet but if the community humiliates him or puts him up on spot. That alone should be enough.

Btw flooding will get you banned :p. So, flooding Totse with dox doesn't protect you.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    The thing is, people copy and save personal information. If it gets posted once, and you wait until the person in question complains it'll be too late. The information will be spread all throughout IRC, across instant messengers, maybe in other threads ETC.

What if they don't see it? What if they're away for a week? What if TheDarkRodent woke up tomorrow and found huge floppy dicks etched into all the windows in his domicile, and his front door lit on fire? I bet he'd be pretty pissed he wasn't there in time to stop people from posting his name, address, and pictures all over the forum.

Dfg, what if by random chance your anti-islamic rants were posted all around your area by somebody else in pakistan who finds out who you are? I bet that could land you in a spot of trouble.

Or Sanchez, what if your offliner stormfront buddies find out that you roleplay a black tranny over AIM with me? Maybe I could y'know, forward them some of our convos via facebook. I mean, I don't mind you talking about your huuuuuuuge black anaconda, but how would all of them feel? Would they accept it as just "who you are?"

Either it's permitted or it's not. Don't do this halfway.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Well, if someone did that, I am sure I would know about him way before :p. But I get your point. This is a complicated thing and must find a way to handle it.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Find a way to handle it? Dude, it's not hard. Just have an order out to delete posts containing personal info as admins/mods find it. Pay attention to PMs, keep an eye out. No bans, no hurt feelings, no drama. Just a few ghosted dox. Maybe replace with it a big text penis or something so we all know what WAS there.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Find a way to handle it? Dude, it's not hard. Just have an order out to delete posts containing personal info as admins/mods find it. Pay attention to PMs, keep an eye out. No bans, no hurt feelings, no drama. Just a few ghosted dox. Maybe replace with it a big text penis or something so we all know what WAS there.

That could work. If everyone agrees we might implement this system.

Now, the question is, what to allow and what to remove.
    edited October 2010
    That could work. If everyone agrees we might implement this system.

Now, the question is, what to allow and what to remove.

What if we limit it to no personal info of people on totse and for other sites we limit it to things like SSN or anything that could cause legal trouble.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Why don't we limit it to no personal info for Anyone?

What, you guys wanna pull "RAIDS" on internet people from other forums? That's just a bunch of childish bullshit.

Wouldn't you rather us be the only totse spinoff that doesn't pull that kind of drama-causing nonsense?
    edited October 2010
    Why don't we limit it to no personal info for Anyone?

What, you guys wanna pull "RAIDS" on internet people from other forums? That's just a bunch of childish bullshit.

Wouldn't you rather us be the only totse spinoff that doesn't pull that kind of drama-causing nonsense?

For me it all comes down to freedom and trying to limit rules on this site. If people want to engage in that they shouldn't be banned. So limits I think are better than outright banning the behavior. It's not this sites job to protect other forums members info.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    For me it all comes down to freedom and trying to limit rules on this site. If people want to engage in that they shouldn't be banned. So limits I think are better than outright banning the behavior. It's not this sites job to protect other forums members info.

No, of course no bans. No bans! This sort of thing is not important enough to lose posting ability over. I don't think people should have to adhere to "rules" or face punishment. I just think that we should delete the offending posts as spotted, and ask people nicely not to make more. If they want to do this sort of thing, they can always do it elsewhere. I just hate to see totse be privy to this stuff. It really does tear apart communities, man.

I'm not saying we should start some massive crusade over it. And I know there's always going to be occasional leaks. Just plug the holes as they show, and bail water out as best we can.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    We won't do "hardware upgrades" either when stuff gets leaked.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I actually laffd like a fucking retard IRL reading your post.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    No, of course no bans. No bans! This sort of thing is not important enough to lose posting ability over. I don't think people should have to adhere to "rules" or face punishment. I just think that we should delete the offending posts as spotted, and ask people nicely not to make more. If they want to do this sort of thing, they can always do it elsewhere. I just hate to see totse be privy to this stuff. It really does tear apart communities, man.

I'm not saying we should start some massive crusade over it. And I know there's always going to be occasional leaks. Just plug the holes as they show, and bail water out as best we can.

I like this one. I hate to see Totse become Personal Info central.
  • ZarniwoopZarniwoop Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys, from your own fucking FAQ:
    On this web site people exist without age, without skin color, without gender, without clothes, without nationality, without any of the visual cues we usually use to discredit or ignore people who are unlike ourselves. All of these things are stripped away and the ideas themselves are laid bare.

Personal info is pretty much the #1 thing Totse was against.

You're doing a mighty fine job of upholding the ideals of Totse :hai:
  • edited October 2010
    Doesn't that FAQ just regard to the members of the site? We're talking about people who aren't totseans.

If a totsean's info was posted here, it would be removed instantly.
    edited October 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Doesn't that FAQ just regard to the members of the site? We're talking about people who aren't totseans.

If a totsean's info was posted here, it would be removed instantly.

Everyones. The entire internet. Nobodies personal info should ever be posted. That is not what Totse was, is, or ever will be about.
    edited October 2010
    Zarniwoop wrote: »
    Everyones. The entire internet. Nobodies personal info should ever be posted. That is not what Totse was, is, or ever will be about.

Total Posts
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Total Posts

This forum just attains more and more fail with every post :facepalm:
    No one cares about reg and post count here mate.
    edited October 2010

Yeah, not everyone listens to Dfg. Apparently you can't remember people doing this on totse for the lulz. Quit being a butthurt acolyte.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, not everyone listens to Dfg. Apparently you can't remember people doing this on totse for the lulz. Quit being a butthurt acolyte.

Go mod a forum which gets more than 2 posts a day?
  • edited October 2010

You quote DFG to support what you say? No one cares what that quran fapping sultan of scrotums cameljockey says.
    edited October 2010
    Go mod a forum which gets more than 2 posts a day?

I already do.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    I already do.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The last time someone posted in your forum was over 12 hours ago.
    edited October 2010
    You quote DFG to support what you say? No one cares what that quran fapping sultan of scrotums cameljockey says.

Dfg is your leader. All of you care what he says.
    edited October 2010
    The last time someone posted in your forum was over 12 hours ago.

And? That's post #1 for the day. We've got 12 hours left to get 2 more. :fap: