Removing automated titles and postcount.

GumboGumbo Regular
edited October 2010 in Help and Suggestions
I don't think either of these should be visible to all users. They should be private statistics. Just because you have 4000 posts on a forum, it doesn't mean they aren't all shit.

I think instead, if somebody does something truly noteworthy, they should get a custom title granted by administration or something.

Yeah, it's fun to pick on the noobs "stfu acolyte" whatevs. But man, that is not a good way to attract new members, or to build a drama-resistant community. You should be known for your contributions and personality, not your invincible posts-per-day.

Here's an example. I have 90 posts. Will I contribute anything worthwhile in the next decade? Probably not. But by the end of it, I might have as many posts as our most active members have now. And believe me, I'll lord it over newbies. HARD. Why not pre-empt this sort of thing? I'm sure there are other douchebags like me around here.

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Gumbo:

Total Posts

Me:

Total Posts

LOL!!!!1!!!!11!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!! :o:o:o:o:o:o
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    OP I dont see how post count harms anybody. I don't and most people dont use it as an e penis. Theres no reason to remove it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    Almost nobody here cares what their post count is. Sure, it's used to mark milestones in posting but that's it. It's only people who get butthurt over feeling weakened by a low post count that ever make these complaints.
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Almost nobody here cares what their post count is. Sure, it's used to mark milestones in posting but that's it. It's only people who get butthurt over feeling weakened by a low post count that ever make these complaints.

Post counts are serious business bro.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited October 2010
    The mere act of removing post count would create more drama than it's worth.
    edited October 2010
    Post counts are serious business bro.

Yeh, you're slowly closing the gap, mothafucka :mad:
    edited October 2010
    Yeh, you're slowly closing the gap, mothafucka :mad:

My e penis may be smaller than yours but my IRL penis is larger:o:o Plus I is in the top 6 with posts counts anyway:o
    edited October 2010
    My e penis may be smaller than yours but my IRL penis is larger:o:o

Goes without saying :o

I accept my physical setbacks :(
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    You say that it might make new users shy away from coming to the site but on Totse.com they were much more relentless with their "stfu Acolytes" and all of the flaming of new users. Regardless, people joined there every day and dealt with it. If someone has a problem with the flaming, they can either leave or post more and prove their worth to the community.

I don't know if I agree with that. This is a very small forum, still. It doesn't have a big community of writers. The old TOTSE had a pile of text files, and the people who liked to read/write them were all over the forums. That's why I stuck around.

I ended up getting scared off posting back then because I got flamed purdy hard for being new. I lurked for a long time, and now I'm posting again because I don't give a shit anymore.

The thing is, back then was when I was at my most creative. I would have contributed much more stuff. Nowadays, I'm a lazy jerk. I like to think that people shouldn't have to deal with too much shit just because they're new.

It may cause shit in the short term, but I honestly think that this forum would be better with hidden postcounts and titles.
    It's only people who get butthurt over feeling weakened by a low post count that ever make these complaints.

Mayberry, again. Ouch. Damn dude.
    edited October 2010
    You seem like a chill poster so far. Stick around, man.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    You seem like a chill poster so far. Stick around, man.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you man.

Also: The only person on that other thread who was on my side of the postcount deal is da teacha. :facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    Gumbo wrote: »

Also: The only person on that other thread who was on my side of the postcount deal is da teacha. :facepalm:

da teacha is a huge failtroll. You've been posting quality stuff. I was trying to be lulzy earlier with the whole listing reg and post count. People on totse did that all the time to be funny and I wanted to carry on the tradition. For real though no one cares. I forget I have so many posts. I just see a lot of threads to respond to and I do it.
    edited October 2010

Yeah we all like you. Flaming is just the totse way so stick around. Plus Gumbo is fucking delicious.:D
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit i didn't even mention how much i love making gumbo. I can't for the life of me find filé powder though :(
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    da teacha is a huge failtroll. You've been posting quality stuff. I was trying to be lulzy earlier with the whole listing reg and post count. People on totse did that all the time to be funny and I wanted to carry on the tradition.

I think maybe I've given the impression that I'm like, all worked up and massively asspained over this. Taking some flak isn't a big deal to me, but is it really worth shooting down some potentially awesome posters that way?

I did read the entirety of the other thread, too. I guess this debate has been done. You guys can lock the thread if you like.
    edited October 2010
    No worries, your response to my post has garnered you respect points from me :)
    edited October 2010
    I think maybe I've given the impression that I'm like, all worked up and massively asspained over this. Taking some flak isn't a big deal to me, but is it really worth shooting down some potentially awesome posters that way?

I did read the entirety of the other thread, too. I guess this debate has been done. You guys can lock the thread if you like.

The thing is we don't want butthurt members. If they can handle some mild flaming then they should be good members.
    edited October 2010
    The thing is we don't want butthurt members. If they can handle some mild flaming then they should be good members.

Quite a few of us have proven the ability to destroy these types of members ;)
    edited October 2010
    It might seem silly but it's kind of important to weed out pussies. If they can't handle a bit of flaming then they won't be good members for totse. I mean if they can't even deal with someone saying STFU ACOLYTE then they really won't do well here.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    My preference would be no visible post counts; I've never really liked the concept but to remove them would not be worth bothering with. I really dig how they are only visible on &Z by viewing the users profile; keeps posts content-oriented.

anybody who says they are oblivious to their post count is a fucking liar, liar, liar!; the biggest post counts are usually sums of the kind of posts that don't really need to be posted and probably wouldn't have been if the tally wasn't recorded. There is a huge e-dick factor and theres nothing to be ashamed of - i'm so tired of this humanity is so evolved attitude; as if our behavior isn't at all founded on animalistic urges and instincts.

A big motive for my posting patterns is the same reason I scribble on shit like tables at uni; it's just self-confirmation really; just saying 'hey guis i wus hur!' and in the end; who really cares, if the forum wasn't driven to the point of consuming the posting community into a level of comfort in which they can express the insane, then why bother?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    Post count helps in getting some e-penis but for seasoned Totseans it doesn't mean shit. Removing it or displaying it won't make any major differences.
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    My preference would be no visible post counts; I've never really liked the concept but to remove them would not be worth bothering with. I really dig how they are only visible on &Z by viewing the users profile; keeps posts content-oriented.

Actually if you set post style to legacy then post count is visible.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Uh I see, well, I haven't logged in for a looooong time... :hai: