Holy shit @ my hard drive

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
I looked at the smart data, and it's been on for a total of 6137 hours. It spins at 7200 RPM.

This means my hard drive platters have rotated >2,651,184,000 times! :eek:

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    It has made a number of revolutions approximately 0.16% of the number of revolutions the Earth has made since its formation assuming that 1 day = 1 revolution since its formation and that this value has never shifted :o
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    That value has shifted. When the earth was formed a day was about 18 hours. The moon has been slowing it down ever since.
    edited October 2010
    Yeh I realized that after I typed it out without the assumptions, but then I'm not going to go make a curve just to see the ratio here :p
    edited October 2010
    edited October 2010
    You do it :mad:

(I don't know how)
  • edited October 2010
    Wow OP, that's impressive stuff. I often wonder how many times my HDD has spun. I'd check my Ipod Smart Data, but I can't be bothered right now :P
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    That's a lot of hours too. I should check out my old seagate. I used it a lot for almost 6 years.
    edited October 2010
    Yeah its gotten some use. It has been in 3 different laptops so far --when I buy a new one I just move the HDD. Seagates are VERY reliable.
  • FingerBlasterFingerBlaster Regular
    edited October 2010
    Mine's been on for 9696 hours and turned on 2548 times :)
    edited October 2010
    Yeah its gotten some use. It has been in 3 different laptops so far --when I buy a new one I just move the HDD. Seagates are VERY reliable.

The seagate in my new laptop died after a month of light use. The replacement was a WD scorpio blue, which has performed really well. The old seagate in my imac saw so much abuse it was ridiculous. I must've written and rewritten most of the sectors on the drive hundreds of times with all the movies and shit I ripped and burned.
    edited October 2010
    I drop my laptop nearly every day and it's fine. You must've had a bad one. Albeit mine is a retail drive, not an OEM one which tends to be lesser quality.

An interesting thing I noticed is about twice every day at a random time the HDD will make a "beep - click -wrerrrrr." I came to the conclusion that the hard drive forgot where it was on the platter, then stops the motor and swings the head back. Then it resets. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but the 1 second the computer is frozen is kind of an inconvenience.
    edited October 2010
    I was unlucky with that drive, but it only cost $5 to priority mail it to the service center and they sent me a new drive that I got 3 days later. It's the only drive I've ever had fail on me.
    edited October 2010
    Every Hitachi I've ever had failed on me. Cheap asian shit.

I've always wanted to make a see through hard drive. Something like measuring where the screw holes on a 3.5" HDD cover are, then cutting one out of lexan on a CNC. Then I'll go to a clean room and swap covers. Easy enough and would be totally bad ass. Never got around to it though.
    edited October 2010
    Every Hitachi I've ever had failed on me. Cheap asian shit.

I've always wanted to make a see through hard drive. Something like measuring where the screw holes on a 3.5" HDD cover are, then cutting one out of lexan on a CNC. Then I'll go to a clean room and swap covers. Easy enough and would be totally bad ass. Never got around to it though.

Wouldn't a polycarbonate plastic retain a lot of heat?
    edited October 2010
    Yes, but most heat is wicked away through the thick aluminum base, not the thin cover.