What can I do with a 25g bottle of crystal Iodine?

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    Sublimate them to make some cool purple smoke :o
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Of course I already did the purple vapor thing, and I'm not making meth.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    You could use it to purify water:o
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    You could use it to purify water:o

I used iodine tabs camping this spring, and it's a damn good thing I did too, on my third day of drinking creek water I found a deer carcass slowly decomposing upstream.
  • edited October 2010
    I used iodine tabs camping this spring, and it's a damn good thing I did too, on my third day of drinking creek water I found a deer carcass slowly decomposing upstream.

God damn. That's why I never drink water from streams :D

Although I did it once before... I didn't really like the taste though.
    edited October 2010
    You can't buy it at stores anymore though; it's a schedule I chem. The feds made it illegal to combat meth labs. The law is fail, since you can still buy potassium iodide and crystal iodine online. It'll never get repealed though.
  • edited October 2010
    C'mon, try the hydrogen triiodide bit, I'm really curious as to how it turns out, you can still type even if you're missing a few fingers.
    edited October 2010
    I'll get some ammonia later this week. I don't think that household stuff would be concentrated enough though.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited October 2010

I want to make that but im allergic to iodine. :mad:
    I'm pretty sure there's a text file for that in ka-fucking-boom somewhere
  • edited October 2010
    Trade it for a can of raid and huff it.
    edited October 2010
    Ya know what I'd be doing with 25 grams of iodine? Halogenating aryl rings, then either doing grignard reactions or forming phenols with hydroxides and copper catalyst.:angry:

What I say you do is synthesize some para-iodoamphetamine (iodinate toluene with Lewis acid catalyst, Etard, nitro aldol, reductive amination) and some nitrogen triodide. Eat the PIA and attach small samples of NI3 all over your body. Then see if you can survive the seizures without detonating a single sample.:thumbsup:

Mathematics Tangent:

If ?(*shit topic*)= 4:angry:
    And ?=:angry:
    Then *shit topic*=4
    And ?=1
    Therefore ?=:angry:=1
    The solution must be: ???=:angry::angry::angry:
    We can now conclude that 3?(*shit topic*)=12:angry:

That's 12 angry faces for you. Unfortunately, I can only post seven more for you. Here they are:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
  • edited October 2010
    edited October 2010
    :mad:

He's a mod. I know my forum is slow/dead, but this was unreasonable. Adding crap does not add content. Doesn't he know "What do I do with ______ ?" is against the rules of all legitimate chemistry forums?

I could give life to the forum myself, but if you think deeply about it, there's a clear message on this site that the staff is not the essence of the site.

Please, please, do not make such threads again. I'll make a "rules thread" sometime. Such posting as this will be a no-no. But I don't want to make a rules thread. Ideals should be subjective to the individual intellectual. If each and every poster of this forum can't post in a respectable manner, this is a hopeless cause. Make your own rules. Make your own forum. After all, it is your forum, not mine.

But this just isn't the out look of a "true chemist." I don't know what a true chemist is. But they do not ask how to expend precious resources.

DFG deletes the spam and blatant trolling so quickly, before I even see it. The only job I'm left with is deciding what is chemistry related, what isn't, and what is chemistry related but redundant.

I like you Katz. Even if you weren't a mod, I wouldn't punish you. But "???" isn't a proper OP.
    "Chemical for a use, not a use for a chemical."

I was but a child when I first saw the original ToTSE. I'm still but a child. But remembering what the ToTSE of ~'05 was like, I can't help but scorn such threads as this.

The reason I don't give life to this forum is the same reason you don't build a robot and expect life. I could build an elaborate chemistry forum, but I'm the mod, not the common poster. Its the common poster who is the life essence of the forum. I asked you guys to create the safety thread. What do you do? Ignore me.

Fuck DFG. I don't care what he says. I won't build this forum by my own hands. It's yours, not mine. If you want threads like this, then have them.

But there's two options:
    1) I shape this forum according to my own ideals
    2) You, the members, have whatever you please

All I know is that in this thread, these two options are not one in the same.

So let the declaration be made now, threads such as this are not acceptable.

Drugs, explosives, molecular gastronomy; it doesn't matter to me. It's not what you approach, but how.

Please, research the many uses of iodine in chemistry. The inorganic chemistry is boundless and beyond my expertise. But the organic chemistry..... Do you know how easy it is to iodinate an organic compound? Do you know how easy it is to replace an iodine substitution with another chemical substituent? You should not have to be asking this question. If you do, then you should leave.

If this doesn't please you, either take this in consideration during future actions, or have me demodded.

If it was anyone but you Katz. You seem so bright. You seem like the kind of person this section needs. Why do you do this?

Should I blame myself, my neglection of my forum? Or should I just lock This piece of shit? I don't know. But if we're going to have threads like this permissible here, delete my account now.

If it was a noob, this thread would be moved to the bullshit thread. I left it open out of respect for you kats. Just please remember, this isn't chemistry, what you're doing. This is what the members of the original totse would have called "kewlism."

Fuck it. I'm drunk. But I don't want to see stuff like this ever again.

I don't mean to be a dick, I just had this childish hope inside of me that I could moderate a chemistry forum where great things took place....

This does not qualify as "great things."
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited October 2010
    I think you should start sharing your knowledge though so people have things to build off of. Maybe there aren't many people here that are good with chemistry. Maybe your threads will attract people that are. If you post threads, maybe people will become interested and research and have an interest in it and contribute themselves. This is just all IMO. I do agree with you locking this thread as it has no valuable information in it. Maybe even moving this thread to the trash. Take my opinion like a grain of salt though.
  • edited October 2010
    u m:mad:d?
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Part of your job as a mod is to contribute to your section. If you aren't making threads here and there, you aren't contributing.
    edited October 2010
    Fine, I won't argue. You guys want me to contribute, I will. Can you at least make suggestions though? Org chem and psychopharmacology is my forte.

I really want to see this forum become something that is not of my own character. But if no one else will do it, then I will.

Burnt out on coke. I think I'm going to just make a thread on the more significant chapters of Wade's "Organic Chemistry." Cover a little quantum mechanics too, for you inorganic/general chemists. The Merck has some great name reactions too. Got some flash cards on name reactions also. Want some copy pasta from general chem e-books too? References?

I do watch this forum though. I try to make sure it doesn't go to crap. But is shaping a community around the janitor's ideals really what makes a good forum?

I'll be honest, this is just going to end up turning this forum into a hybrid between scimad.org and Zoklet's F&B. I really don't know any other way to give social structure to the factual logic of chemistry.....

You guys like organic chemistry? I'm really not that good with mathematical equations and anything towards the center of the Periodic Table. Transition metals baffle me. I'm starting to get the hang of quantum mechanics though, crazy shit. Thermodynamics will take some time, I'm not going to copy pasta equations I don't understand.

What about practical objectives? Anyone have psychopharmocology in mind? That always was the essence of the &T LT. Other wise, you'll be seeing a lot of name reactions, and a bunch of chem sketches with big fat R's.....

If I post a large volume of crap that doesn't suit you though, don't come crying to me. I don't want praise either. No one-liners, no "good thread, thanks for contributing." If I give you material, you work with it.

I don't give a fuck about forums anymore. All care about is the one thing that attracted me to them: Chemistry.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited October 2010
    I think you should start sharing your knowledge though so people have things to build off of. Maybe there aren't many people here that are good with chemistry. Maybe your threads will attract people that are. If you post threads, maybe people will become interested and research and have an interest in it and contribute themselves. This is just all IMO.

I completely agree with this. Laying down a foundation for this forum will only serve to attract knowledgeable posters.