Putting hot topics on the left.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited November 2010 in Help and Suggestions
You all saw the picture b4 the hack, and what do you think of the idea? [putting hot topics on the left under the Fringe, society, tech tabs]

I'm all for it, because if it's on the right people with 1024px screens will have no room for text. People on smartphones, netbooks and tablets would be completely fucked.

Comments

• LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited November 2010
    This is coming from the person who told me to go back to 1992 because I wanted to resize images? :angry::p

I would prefer the hot topics to be on the right because it nicely centered the forums, and made you feel safe and secure when posting.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    ^ This.

Didn't someone suggest making it collapsible?

collapse_thead_collapsed.gif
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited November 2010
    I vote yes for this shit.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    I suggested it, but dfg said it couldn't be collapsible. IDK why though, vb sure has a lot of collapsible things.

My beef is that 20% of the internet still uses a 1024 screen, including me and my school. Look at all that empty space to the left. I think you fail to see what I have in mind...

OLMZa.png
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited November 2010
    I like the idea. It utilizes otherwise vacant space.
    edited November 2010
    My beef is that 20% of the internet still uses a 1024 screen, including me and my school. Look at all that empty space to the left. I think you fail to see what I have in mind...

You have a point, but it's just that I would prefer totse.info to be exactly the way totse was, and only change things when absolutely necessary. I don't remember anyone on totse ever complaining about the hot topics when it was on the right on totse, so I thought that this would not be a problem.

Zoklet and also has a hot topics bar on the right, and nobody is complaining. The reason could be because Zoklet has a mobile version of the forums that users can select, and people with smart phones seem fine with this.

Maybe we can compromise by having the hot topics bar on the right, but also having a mobile version of totse, or a different style/skin without hot topics which will be the equivalent of the hot topics being collapsible.
    IDK why though, vb sure has a lot of collapsible things.

I think the reason that it is not collapsible is because the hot topics bar is not part of vBulletin. On zoklet, the hot topics bar was created by Zok himself, and I assume that Jeff did the same for totse.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2010
    The layout looks cleaner if it's on the right.

I'd prefer it on the bottom than on the left but i have no problem with it being on the right at all.

How many people use those anyway? I Always thought it was an SEO thing. I always click on the "New Posts" link on the header of the forum.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Here is the funny deal. Hot topics isn't part of Vbulletin. It's a separate code that outputs the threads.

Yes, the position could be changed and we can have a collapsed hot topic as well.

But having a mobile version would be awesome.

Here is what I need:
    Find me a programmer that can update the hot topic code to make it work with Vbulletin and then find some coders who can fix this fucking template that we use so, we can have hot topics here. Plus, anyone willing to do a mobile version style for Totse :).

If you want to change here, you guys have to help :).
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Oh well, I did some research and I fixed it anyway. Took me while to get things in working condition and I finally found the template which is used for forum and it turns out, I can't add anything on the right side.

I am pretty used up atm, kept tweaking/fixing this for solid 4 hours and now I want to rest. I will give you the details later.

btw FUCK TABLES.
    edited November 2010
    Well it seems to work OK. Cool.

Here's a suitable background image DFG. Also, I think it'd look better with white non-bold text.

7KQNL.png

Notice how the right corners extend flush to the forum.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Well it seems to work OK. Cool.

Here's a suitable background image DFG. Also, I think it'd look better with white non-bold text.

7KQNL.png

Notice how the right corners extend flush to the forum.

Actually I can't implent background in that fashion. Like I said it's based on tables. The whole template uses tables. If it were divs or spans I might be able to work it out. So far this is most stable outlook I can get.

We will work on a new template that works with Vbulletin 4 and 3.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    I think we should remove Hot Topics and all the tabs.

They're useless.
    edited November 2010
    Well then is there any way to make the corners flush with the forum like the other tabs? I could make an image if you need me to. Also, don't make the words bold as you rollover them, it stretches the hot topics in a weird way. Underline would be fine.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I think we should remove Hot Topics and all the tabs.

They're useless.

Not really. They actually help keep the look and feel of Totse. And when we have a CMS we can use these old tabs and convert them to category links.

Also, until we make a new layout, I AM NOT REMOVING THEM. It was a bitch fixing them anyway.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Not really. They actually help keep the look and feel of Totse. And when we have a CMS we can use these old tabs and convert them to category links.

Also, until we make a new layout, I AM NOT REMOVING THEM. It was a bitch fixing them anyway.
    Fine. HAVE IT YOUR WAY®
    edited November 2010
    How fast does hot topics update? Seems really slow.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Fine, I will.
    How fast does hot topics update? Seems really slow.

I will look into that issue.

Issued the hover css.

Working on template to remove the round edge.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Looks good.

How exactly are 'Hot Topics' determined?
    edited November 2010
    I hate it on the left :angry:

The colours/alignment aren't right for me either - I'm getting teal text centered on a teal background.

vozhdes idea ftw. Default Totse with hot topics on the right, and a mobile theme with it on the left.

Edit: hottopics.jpg
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    How are the updates etc?
    By this: http://www.totse.info/bbs/external.php?type=js
    Every new thread gets on hot topic. Although this seems counter productive atm but still you don't need to hit new posts every time. I will work ona refined version which supports new posts.

Why isn't the Hot Topics on the right side?
    The template used by Jeff Hunter doesn't allow it/

Why are the colors all weird?
    Refresh or browser. It should be fixed now. Always use Firefox. I think the CSS compressor mixed up some rules. I will correct this by reverting to the old one.

Btw I am having connectivity issues atm. My fucking ISP is a peice of shit.
    edited November 2010
    Ok my Hot Topics is fixed now :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    http://www.totse.info/index2.html

Try that one, it's unformated btw.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Okay, this is another implementation. But this time it's in Vbulletin.

http://www.totse.info/bbs/

Thoughts?
    edited November 2010
    I know that this has not been easy for you, but the hot topics on the left are hideous and I hate them. :angry:
    The template used by Jeff Hunter doesn't allow it

That's strange considering that he had the hot topics on the right.
    http://www.totse.info/index2.html

Try that one, it's unformated btw.

This one looks better, it's a little stretched, but since it's not formatted that's fine.

It's tolerable, but :thumbsdown:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    vozhde wrote: »
    I know that this has not been easy for you, but the hot topics on the left are hideous and I hate them. :angry:

That's strange considering that he had the hot topics on the right.

This one looks better, it's a little stretched, but since it's not formatted that's fine.

It's tolerable, but :thumbsdown:

Thanks for the input. When I say template I am referring to template used for Vbulletin. Whenever I try to move the HT to the right it fucks everything up. Honestly, it's a bitchy thing to work with.

However, we're working on a new layout which will be lighter and will use CSS for majority of events. On that layout I can move the Hot Topics to the right and make it better.

Don't worry it will not days months to do this. Considering I started this project 48 hours ago, we're breaking new totse records.

Already implemented three different types of hot topics. But the data source is the same and it doesn't support active threads like we imagine.

However, there might be a way to tweak it

Also, I can limit or exclude forums from HT's. Keep the feedback coming. I know most of us are used to not giving a fuck but this is Totse, the more ideas you share the better.

Plus the more I communicate and talk with you guys, the better the outcome will be.

Btw, a message for anyone making a website in future, DO NOT USE FUCKING TABLES!

:)

P.S: I don't have dreamweaver installed so i can't really adjust the tables correctly.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    hot%20topics.JPG

Removed the Vbull version. Here is the screenshot
    edited November 2010
    Christ vozhde quit your bitching. If you don't like it use adblock element hiding helper.
    edited November 2010
    Christ vozhde quit your bitching. If you don't like it use adblock element hiding helper.

no u :angry:

I don't want to block it, I just want it to be on the right, or at least have a vote about which side it should be on.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    I proposed a different style sheet idea.
    Stylesheet one: HT on left
    Stylesheet two: HT on right.

We will vote on the placement etc but right now everything depends on how fast we can figure this out. So, chill and try to open about things. Layout ideas are welcome.
    edited November 2010
    chill and try to open about things. Layout ideas are welcome.

Fine, I'll chill out for now, I'm not giving this up. :angry:

Before I chill out, there is something else I need to bitch about.

Could you fix the alignment of teal bars, the lower white space is too wide? Now that Hellish has given you even greater access, could you move the posts a little to the left to match the top part. :)

55009570.png
    edited November 2010
    ^I have no problems with the alignment you pointed out.
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    ^I have no problems with the alignment you pointed out.

Do you mean that you don't care about alignment, or that they look aligned to you?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Fine, I'll chill out for now, I'm not giving this up. :angry:

Before I chill out, there is something else I need to bitch about.

Could you fix the alignment of teal bars, the lower white space is too wide? Now that Hellish has given you even greater access, could you move the posts a little to the left to match the top part. :)

55009570.png

Funny it displays fine here.

Press ctrl+0 and reset any zoom settings.

Which browser are you using?

Clear cache btw.
    edited November 2010
    ^yea as long as it's even on the other side, it doesn't bother me either.

I meant that I don't have the problem that he pointed out :p

Edit:
    Do you mean that you don't care about alignment, or that they look aligned to you?

^^^^
  • edited November 2010
    Seriously, the Hot Topics section looks fantastic. You guys are making &T. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2010
    I originally posted that the hot topics would look crap on the left but i was wrong.

It looks _way_ better. I wonder why Jeff didn't do it on totse.com