Google: Instant Preview

DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
edited November 2010 in Spurious Generalities
A bit late but a really cool feature built into Google.

Date: 11/09/2010 06:01:00 AM
With Google Instant you get results as fast as you type, but your search doesn’t stop there. Once you get results back, you choose a site to visit based on the information in each result—like the title, a snippet of text and the URL. Over time we’ve made steady improvements to our search results and snippets to help you pick a great page. Now we’re making a leap to image-based snapshots—a new kind of visual search result we call “Instant Previews” which makes it even faster to choose the right result.

Instant Previews provides a graphic overview of a search result and highlights the most relevant sections, making finding the right page as quick and easy as flipping through a magazine. To use it, click once on the magnifying glass next to the title of any search result and a visual overview of the page will appear on the right. From there, hover your cursor over any other result to see a preview. For those of you who’ve recently stopped using your mouse to search, now you can navigate to a result, hit the right arrow key to see the preview, and hit the down arrow key to keep browsing. Here’s a video showing Instant Previews in action:

:thumbsup: Really cool feature. Unlike that tiled-picture crap.

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    Man this shit's annoying. Of course there's no way to disable it.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    ^ Mine only does it if I'm signed into Google
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    I use google chrome so Ive had this for a while. Ive enjoyed the feature so far.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Remember how Google used to be simple?

Search.
    Results.
    Click.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited November 2010
    It's rather annoying
    Instead automatically showing preview it should has a link or something that you can click to make it show the preview.
    I miss old google too
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Remember how Google used to be simple?

Search.
    Results.
    Click.
    Or when your gmail password was for gmail only. :o
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    Disabling Instant Preview:

• Use Opera: Instant Previews is not working in Opera currently. If you go to the test page and opt in to try it out you get the message “The experiment you’re trying to access is no longer available.” on the search results page. Other web browsers may show a similar behavior (but not Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome.
    • Block scripts on Google. Use an extension like NoScript to block scripts on Google. This blocks Instant Previews. It may however have side effects on other Google.com properties.
    • Switch to a localized Google search engine. This solution is temporary as the feature is rolled out to all Google search engines.
    • Use a custom Google search engine such as Scroogle. Scroogle offers the same result set but without the elements that have been added by Google in the past year. No sidebar, no instant previews, no instant search, less ads and no tracking.

Source
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Actually....It's kinda :cool:
    At least I don't have to add a plugin like before I spose.