Anyone else like that wintery feeling?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Just sitting in my room and I can feel the cold outside. Can't wait to get home (at Uni right now) and sit in front of a log fire, then go out to the garden and watch the stars.
Don't know why, but Winter, man. Something about it and the homeliness of it all. Anyone here get me?

Ausfags gtfo. Your seasons are FUBAR.

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited November 2010
    I used to get you when I was younger. But spending periods in the mountains of Afghanistan where it gets 20 below F, is just not fun.

I have a serious disdain for winter now. The heat with 90 pound battle rattle in the summer, whatever. But when it's winter your pack jumps up to around 110-120(for our unit) and you didn't sleep in nice comphy tents. It was a hole you dug, and your sleeping bag. Then you woke up wet, and more miserable than you were before.

I now loathe winter more than anything. I'm back near where I grew up, and it's not 1/10th as bad. But it's just and underlining feeling. Winter, and snow will always remind me of the blood stained mountains of shit.
  • edited November 2010
    Winter is pretty shit, I preferred summer IMO. The only thing I really enjoy is the ice, and when cars start drifting round corners and into walls etc.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited November 2010
    I fucking love winter, it's the most relaxing time and the best to chill out. I prefer the cold to a lot of heat because I'm warm blooded anyway. I wish I lived in Russia where there's tons of snow. Tons of snow = unmatched ecstasy, I like the colour of the sky when it's snowing/snowed as well.

It's also the best time for drinking, IMO.

Grimbergen Dubbel, Vedett Extra Blond, Wild Turkey and cooked meals. Whiskey in the morning, mid-afternoon and evening with the chill from outside contrasting with the warmth inside you.

Can't wait until the other ankle can bear weight and I can be outdoors with some cigs and a bottle of Balkan vodka or Russian Standard original.

Just can't beat the feeling of drinking in the winter time. Brilliant atmosphere all around.

Anyone agree or know what I mean?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Winter is the best season. When the snow falls, sometimes I like to throw open a window, pull up a chair, and bundle myself in a blanket while watching it fall.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Winter is the best season. When the snow falls, sometimes I like to throw open a window, pull up a chair, and bundle myself in a blanket while watching it fall.

Exactly that! I usually sit on my decking at home in the garden or on my windowsill, skin up and watch the flakes fall. So peaceful. Earlier this year there was a record snowfall in the UK and as a result, all major motorways were closed.
    I decided to walk to my mates house to make an igloo, and his house is about 1.5 miles away, up a hill and just off a motorway. In order to get there, I had to, well, walk down this motorway.

Here's some pics. I cannot tell you how Fallout 3-esque it was. Fucking mindblowing and I loved every minute of it. Even got high lying in the middle of the road as there were no cars running for miles around and explored an abandoned bus (no money, unfortunately) in the middle of the road, all iced over.

img01840201001061631.jpg
    Motorway

img01839201001061631.jpg
    Depth of snow

img01927201001131555.jpg
    Other place by my house that I frequent
    edited November 2010
    I got a warning from the Cops for drifting round an industrial estate a few days after my pictures above were taken. Just before the cops came along, my mates and I were playing car football with a crate, skidding and hitting it towards each other. The whole thing was like ballet, actually.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited November 2010
    I like it when i'm at home with some hot chocolate in hand. On the other hand I don't know something about the wintery cold makes me hate living alone.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited November 2010
    RemadE that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's beautiful.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    Winter is my favorite season. I just hope that we dont get hit by a blizzard like last year. I was stuck at my house for days and couldn't get booze and cigarettes and thought I'd go crazy:mad: I had to spend the superbowl sober and withdrawing from nicotine.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks to Iraq, I'll hate summer for the rest of my life. Winter ftw :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2010
    spazz wrote: »
    LOlwut?I just drank a cold beer on the beach yesterday :D
    Its like ~85f for a high

The only good thing about winter is ICE driving on ICE. Most people act like its a disaster when its icy because "I cant get to work" hahahahha

FUCK i miss driving on ice, its like slow-mo drifting :hai:

Seriously, a cold beer on the beach? Damn, I want to trade houses with you, I'd love to get away from this cold.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2010
    I love winter one of the best seasons..
    Alas we have no snow at the moment :( (ok we had a sprinkling)
    It's great being able to sit looking out the window with a scotch in your hand staring out as the snow falls :D My bed is next to my window and radiator so it's perfect.

Also when it snowed earlier in the year me and my mates went up one of treacherous mountains not too far away and one of our mates decided he'd try hitchiking... Naked.
    edited November 2010
    Listening to this makes me like Humanity a bit more on these cold evenings.
    Sod it, might go for a blaze soon. Waiting for the housemates to go to bed...or fuck off :D

Still no snow here in the South of England. Dammit.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    I got my first snow of the season yesterday. It was a fucking blizzard with wind, lightning, big flakes and wet rain. And I watched it all from my hot tub. :p
  • edited November 2010
    I'm loving it right now. It's getting down to about 27 at night here in Texas, but it's still 66 during the day and zero clouds, gorgeous sky. Soon it will get colder and the days will be all gray and shitty, so I'm trying to enjoy what I have left.

Snow would be great, but we usually don't get any until around February-April. It snowed in May a couple years ago, which is by far one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed.

I've been considering moving up to Alaska in the next few years, I am not looking forward to having to acclimate myself to that much cold. I love a good 105 degree day with low humidity and a blazing hot, cloudless sky. It's hot as fuck but it's not humid, so you sweat buckets. If there's a small breeze going it's amazing, but you have to watch your hydration.

It's good for your body too. If you're a normal person with a normal diet, you eat various processed foods. Along with that comes a lot of sodium, which disperses in your body and causes water retention (and raises your blood pressure!). The best way to get rid of the excess sodium is to sweat it out while drinking lots of clean water. A lot of people go to saunas for this reason, though I've found it's more enjoyable to be outside in the nice weather than in a humid box.

be8ot4.jpg

Damn I got pretty far off topic.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm on the fence about it. I'm from Iowa, and Iowa winters are bad because they're windy as fuck, so you're always freezing your ass off. It's almost always cloudy in winter, too, and my mood is somewhat affected by decreased sunlight, so I get the 'winter blues' sometimes. However, there's nothing better than drinking a hot cup of coffee after coming in from the cold, makes it taste better. And those few brisk, windless days where the sun is shining are just beautiful for taking walks.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    Fuck winter. It gets cold as shit here, icy, snows, the wind blows at you from all 4 directions at once, and it's a bitch trying to drive on the hills. I much prefer spring, especially because tits and ass come out of hibernation.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited November 2010
    It's nice at first, but after a while it just becomes aserious grind; a battle against all to keep yourself sane and active.

First snow came about a week ago, which was nice; blanketting all in calmness; crunching beneath your feet and creating a nonchalant allure to surrounding life.

Then the tempurature rises, and the fucker melts; turning everything into a sludgy mess. The cities here are extremely dirty, the drainage is awful, and there are potholes everywhere so it's impossible to walk from A to B without your trousers getting filthy.

And it's only fucking November....

Just took a look at the weather and by Thursday it'll be dropping to -25C. I dread to think how low it'll drop by the midst of winter. There's been talk of a -45C arriving, giving the extremely hot summer we had here, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I just want to hibernate in my flat with a cute Russian girl, tonnes of DVDs and a stockpile of food.
    edited November 2010
    Finally snowing here. Lol at the dumb bitches who insist on wearing nothing but UGG boots, shorts and some crappy top.

img01423201011301315.jpg

COME FORTH, BLIZZARD!
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    Again, fuck winter.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Again, love winter.
    edited November 2010
    Holy shitting dicknipples. My Uni room heating decided to turn off. It's 0435hrs and I think my bollocks froze off. Can't sleep.
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited December 2010
    i love winter i get wut the OP is saying makes me want 2 stay inside and b around my famly and frinds
    edited December 2010
    1.2 feet here and still counting.
    edited December 2010
    Got about a foot here. Had a huge snowball fight on my campus last night and no lectures today. Fuck yeah. Off to try and scavenge some food from town if the shops are open.
    edited December 2010
    1.8ft anid courntidng.

soy my k7eyboaid ids all hfuck7ed urp7 b7ecaurs7e id sp7idll7eid h2o on idt.
    edited December 2010
    Chilled out on teh tallest hill in my City today. Managed to get some food from the shops and diverted up here, and met a father of 2 who I got baked with. Completely random, but restored my faith in humanity.

aavw5k.jpg
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited December 2010
    RemadE wrote: »
    Chilled out on teh tallest hill in my City today. Managed to get some food from the shops and diverted up here, and met a father of 2 who I got baked with. Completely random, but restored my faith in humanity.

aavw5k.jpg

Chilll.:cool:
    edited December 2010
    26 in and counting.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    Nice view. Here's some shots from last winter's storm in NY
    29ut2et.jpg
    zjh4ia.jpg

I was outside with my chainsaw for 3 days after that :D ...Plenty of firewood for summer parties. I think we got around 25-30 inches that time.

I just got new tires on my Envoy, so I'm looking forward to some heavy snow this year.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow RemadE, that's awesome :D Good to see you found someone to chill with too, most random people are weirdos around here, it's horrible.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited December 2010
    cheah we gat loadsa snow in da uk
  • edited December 2010
    Pacino wrote: »
    cheah we gat loadsa snow in da uk

I think it was like, -20C in Wales, wasn't it?
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I think it was like, -20C in Wales, wasn't it?

in some parts i heard so, but where i am its only been like -2 :(
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited December 2010
    I'd like it more if I could legally leave my house...