How does facebook make revenue

PacinoPacino Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I know about the small ads on the side of the page but theres only a few..... how can they make so much money, and i bet no one clicks them anyway...

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Using sponsors and other gimmicks. Example: Farmville something.
  • edited December 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Using sponsors and other gimmicks. Example: Farmville something.

Farmville is one fucked up game, dude. It was designed with the input of a bunch of behavioral scientists to determine how to get a person hooked on playing it as quickly as possible. It's all about getting people to invest a lot of time and effort without them noticing.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited December 2010
    It's all about getting people to invest a lot of time and effort without them noticing.

Yeah people are fucking stupid

I hate people :angry:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Farmville is one fucked up game, dude. It was designed with the input of a bunch of behavioral scientists to determine how to get a person hooked on playing it as quickly as possible. It's all about getting people to invest a lot of time and effort without them noticing.

Yeah, I am trying to that on totse as well.. fuck.. ;)

I hate Farmville whatever. It's a scam IMO.
  • edited December 2010
    Pacino wrote: »
    Yeah people are fucking stupid

I hate people :angry:

Stupidity is only a minor component to this. The way the game works just draws people in. There was a really good article explaining this that I saw a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited December 2010
    16 year old girls.

/thread
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited December 2010
    It's mostly the ads and applications.

You know, the ones that go like, "What will you be in 40 years? Take the quiz and find out!"
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited December 2010
    Wait, did the OP really say that they doubt nobody out of over a billion users clicks ANY ads? I bet at least 75% of facebook users click at least 1 ad a day.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2010
    As of yet facebook has only managed to break even. They haven't made a significant profit.

Facebook gets 20% of all transactions made on all those social games. The "fill out this nexflix form to get a virtual sword" kind.

They also have ads on the side, tailored to fit you based on your profile. For example my ads are usually "find a date","lose weight" or "get cheap glasses"
    Facebooks 'partners' have recieved a lot of flac for being so dodgy.
    FB is probably destined to forever just "break even".
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited December 2010
    As of yet facebook has only managed to break even. They haven't made a significant profit.

Facebook gets 20% of all transactions made on all those social games. The "fill out this nexflix form to get a virtual sword" kind.

They also have ads on the side, tailored to fit you based on your profile. For example my ads are usually "find a date","lose weight" or "get cheap glasses"

That's why one of us needs to sue the crap out of them so they are in the red too long to stay open.

Funny /b/ hasn't thought of it.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited December 2010
    Facebooks 'partners' have recieved a lot of flac for being so dodgy.

Those ads are fucking annoying and creepy. Seems like every time I edit something or mention a occupation anywhere I get flooded with ads about it. On mine, I always have several on welding, at least one trying to get me to go to some college for my 'BA in fire science' (WTF is that?).
  • brandonbrandon Regular
    edited December 2010

no its about money cus u can by stuff :o:o:o:o:o
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    Adblockplus. What ads?
    edited December 2010
    They're probably the same people who use IE :facepalm:
    edited December 2010
    Or Netscape :facepalm:
    edited December 2010
    Wait that's still around? 1994 called, it wants its browser back.
    edited December 2010
    Nah it's discontinued. But just in case anybody is still using Windows 98 :p
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2010
    Mozilla Lives!!!

If you have Firefox type in ' about:mozilla '
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited December 2010
    im going to guess that the businesses on the ads pay a lot more than most
  • Agent 008Agent 008 Regular
    edited December 2010
    How do TV shows make revenue? Or radio?

Fewer people tune in to watch them / listen to them than go to facebook every day.
  • boggleboggle Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    That's why one of us needs to sue the crap out of them so they are in the red too long to stay open.

Funny /b/ hasn't thought of it.

I think you are overestimating what 4chan nerds can do