Where and how to download music

ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
edited August 2013 in Spurious Generalities
Let's make this a megathread on the subject of music piracy.

For full albums, one great way to find them is through blogs. Google "Artist name" "Album title" blogspot. Usually the files will be hosted on Megaupload, Mediafire, Hotfile, or Rapidshare. If you specifically want to bring up links with one of those in particular, add it to the google search. Megaupload has always been the quickest and least problematic for me, but people always have differing opinions on this.

One blog I check regularly and am also a poster on is holyfuckingshit. Lots of quality stuff there, a lot of which in lossless FLAC. Which brings me to file formats:

The one you will see most often is MP3. The lower the bitrate, the lower the quality. Don't download anything at 128 bitrate or lower unless it's absolutely necessary. The sound quality there is noticeably bad. Go 192 and above. Variable bit rates are usually good too, with V0 being the highest quality variable bit rate for MP3.

A lot of what I download is in lossless FLAC. This means that no sound quality is lost from the original CD. The downside to this is the large filesize, but I have a terabyte or so harddrive space to spare right now, so it's hardly an issue. Some people claim to not hear a difference from 320, but I notice it very well, and so do others.

For torrents, I usually go to rutracker. Sure, it's in Russian, but it's really a goldmine of lossless albums. Just use google translate at first, then you start to memorize where everything is at so you don't need it anymore. If you've never torrented before download utorrent and start off on thepiratebay.

And now I will shamelessly advertise my music blog, if anybody at all is interested.
http://chainsawfellatio2.blogspot.com/

Another good site to look for albums is warez-bb, even though I feel I've grown well beyond the need to go there anymore.

http://www.warez-bb.org/

If you can get an invite, get a what.cd account. They're a private torrent site. You'll find a lot of stuff there in a quality you won't find elsewhere, though the difference isn't too significant over Rutorrent. If you can't get an invite google around to find the irc channel and they'll quiz you on file formats and such. I used to have an account there but got banned when I shared it with an idiot on Zoklet who let an 8th grader use it and rape the ratio by downloading shit like Green Day in FLAC. Moral of the story, don't share account with retards.

Comments

• TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Torrents is what i uses 99.9% fo the time.
  • SophiaSandboxSophiaSandbox Regular
    edited July 2010
    Went from Limewire
    to Pirate Bay
    to BTJunkie

I'm getting better raiguiyz?
  • corduroycorduroy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    http://qualitybootz.blogspot.com/

this blog has an ungodly amount of bootlegs, click on the labels on the right for specific artists
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Torrents for above ground

Soulseek for underground
  • OnesanOnesan Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    FSE's google and torrents

Oh wow, i havnt used a fse in a while so i looked to see what the newer file search engines were like and i stumbled across a small gem
    http://globalfilesearch.com/ a ftp search engine
    Now im trying to work out why have i never even thought to look for such a thing till now.

EDIT, i realise a ftp search engine might not be the best thing for looking for music but wow 'why didnt i think about that' sort of thing going on for me.
  • PsyntheticPsynthetic Regular
    edited July 2010
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    If you can get an invite, get a what.cd account. They're a private torrent site. You'll find a lot of stuff there in a quality you won't find elsewhere, though the difference isn't too significant over Rutorrent. If you can't get an invite google around to find the irc channel and they'll quiz you on file formats and such. I used to have an account there but got banned when I shared it with an idiot on Zoklet who let an 8th grader use it and rape the ratio by downloading shit like Green Day in FLAC. Moral of the story, don't share account with retards.

What.cd is where it's at. I love the way everything is so neatly organized, and how it's easy to find similar artists. I worked so hard at becoming a power user there so I could invite people. It's really difficult, I eventually just gave up and only download stuff I can't find elsewhere there now. I do have some waffles.fm invites however that I could share with members who can keep a good ratio.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I go torrents first for albums, discographys, and pretty much any decent amount of music. Though it's hard to find a lot of stuff on torents and I always use limewire to get individual songs, etc.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    heh, i still use Limewire to download music. Just music though.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Torrents are the best for albums and what not. Limewire can be good for individual songs (but who wants that when you can get the whole album.) As we speak I am downloading a classical music anthology of the top 100 classical music pieces from 1650-1928, cant get more epic than that.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Any Album/Band you could possibly think of + Mediafire/Megaupload/Rapidshare.

Its bound to be on either of those 3.

Torrents are shitty and lack proper anonymity to them. I had my ISP get butthurt over torrenting a while back for torrenting San Andreas FFS.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2010
    Good info ITT. I plan on checking out all the places everyone has posted.

As for me I just download torrents with uTorrent.. usually use torrentz.com or demonoid.
    I used Limewire as well for when I wanted to download single songs, until I found the Freecorder toolbar. I use it now to record whatever song/video I want on YouTube.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited August 2010
    you can find entire albums on youtube
  • edited August 2010
    I'm a lazy son of a bitch.

A. I type the name in on google and go to beemp3.com or some shit
    B. I find a quality youtube video and use an online flv-mp3 converter.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited August 2010
    Demonoid with utorrent.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited August 2010
    I tend to either use Limewire, BTJunkie, The Pirate Bay, Demonoid. Or if I'm not trying to save the music I use youtube or playlist.com.
  • AlbinoEthiopianAlbinoEthiopian Regular
    edited August 2010
    If you want full albums go to http://albumhunt.com you have to sign up but its free.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Megalodon wrote: »
    you can find entire albums on youtube

Ugh youtube sound quality is horrible.
    I do have some waffles.fm invites however that I could share with members who can keep a good ratio.

Toss me a waffle.fm invite. Shouldn't be a problem for me, I'm bound to have something they don't have I can upload.
  • edited August 2010
    Usually I'll use blogs with MU/RS links, or WarezBB. Neither have failed me yet.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
  • AurothAuroth Acolyte
    edited December 2010
    I using Beemp3.com & mp3raid.com these days + Limewire, Emule, trackers like TPB and Mininova ;) But if just want to listen on music at the computer I use Spotify, It's free and legal :)
  • edited December 2010
    Auroth wrote: »
    I using Beemp3.com & mp3raid.com these days + Limewire, Emule, trackers like TPB and Mininova ;) But if just want to listen on music at the computer I use Spotify, It's free and legal :)

Haha, enjoy your malware/letters from the RIAA. Seriously, stay away from Limewire.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    I use utorrent with peerblock and find torrents mostly from demonoid. Haven't had any problems in years. I don't dl really new movies and I'm fine. I've never been caught for dl'ing music and I have over 250gigs.
  • edited December 2010
    Went from Limewire
    to Pirate Bay
    to BTJunkie

I'm getting better raiguiyz?

Limewire
    Pirate Bay
    Demonoid
  • edited December 2010
    WinMX
    Limewire
    Pirate Bay
    Demonoid
    Warezbb
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited December 2010
    For all you hip hop niggas, check out www.im1music.net. Daily downloadable updates of tracks, including full albums.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    And now I will shamelessly advertise my music blog, if anybody at all is interested.
    http://chainsawfellatio2.blogspot.com/

NICE blog man, really dig a lot of the music posted there. Make me a poster, I have much lossless music that I can share. :)
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited April 2011
    wow...the people who posted in the past..i wish they are still here.
    I miss them already
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    ILTST9 wrote: »

Another good site to look for albums is warez-bb, even though I feel I've grown well beyond the need to go there anymore.

http://www.warez-bb.org/
    What the hell is that supposed to mean? I get most of my music from Warez-bb in flac???
  • gingerkidgingerkid Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    i use demonoid for everything
    soulseek-NS for individual or rare songs.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited July 2011
    you can all just go fuck yourselves << [not spam]
  • edited July 2011
    gingerkid wrote: »
    i use demonoid for everything
    soulseek-NS for individual or rare songs.

Demonoid is pretty good for torrenting - I much prefer it to TPB, that's for sure. I haven't actually downloaded anything in quite a while though.
  • dorwew41dorwew41 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    fiery videos
  • isikci16isikci16 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    light is our business
  • edited July 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I use utorrent with peerblock and find torrents mostly from demonoid. Haven't had any problems in years. I don't dl really new movies and I'm fine. I've never been caught for dl'ing music and I have over 250gigs.

New films, albums, games or software are usually what get people in trouble.

A few weeks after it came out, I downloaded Gran Torino, and within three weeks of that, I received a letter from some lawyer or firm (I forget the specifics. I never saved the letter.) listing things like the file I downloaded, where it was downloaded from, etc, and demanding that I cut that shit out and delete the film off my computer.

Stick with old shit that nobody cares about.
    trx100 wrote: »
    Demonoid is pretty good for torrenting - I much prefer it to TPB, that's for sure. I haven't actually downloaded anything in quite a while though.

Demonoid is the best torrent site I've used so far. I no longer use any of the others since I got my invite.
  • SujiSuji New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    So why is it that everyone uses a torrent to get music? I find torrents to be a bit annoying sometimes
  • edited July 2011
    Torrents are easy to find, and easy to download. They can also be very speedy if you choose one with a nice amount of people sharing it. Not to mention you can pause the download and come back to it later, which you can't do easily with a direct download from a website :)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited July 2011
    ^ If you use a download manager yes you can. Firefox also has a pause button implemented in it's own native download manager.
  • edited July 2011
    Every time I try and pause a download, it never works when I come back to it :( It's like it times out or something.
    edited August 2013
    cupidsrose wrote: »
    hello:)
    Hell0! ;)
  • Spotify, Shazam etc

But I actually just torrent stuff, not really into music but if I need to find something, I basically search on torrents and then hit on sharing websites.