Moving TeamSpeak From Chicago To D.C.

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited December 2011 in Help and Suggestions
The Chicago data center that the TS server is hosted on has been quite flaky as of late. Therefore I am will be contacting the provider via their online chat support service and request that the server be moved from the Chicago data center to the Washington D.C. data center. This means that both the IP and host name will be changing very shortly. I will sticky this thread and post the new host name here shortly.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    OK they supposedly moved the server but the new host name did not update in the TS web CP. I am trying to contact support now to resolve this.
    edited December 2011
    Update from TS live chat support.
    Mitch Thank you for contacting support, my name is Mitch how may I help you today?

[email protected] Hi Mitch we had our server moved from Chicago to DC but the host name has not updated in the CP yet and ther server is not available

Mitch It appears that the move failed due to the current issues with the server. Our technicians are working to manually move all servers out of the Chicago Area

Mitch If you'd like, you can submit a ticket and once the move is complete I will reply letting you know.

Mitch I'm terribly sorry for any inconvenience this must be causing for you and your users .

[email protected] OK I have a ticket in for this so we can just use it. No worries shit happens
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of people having their TS channels moved to another Country. That way when it's US peak-time, the host country is sleeping and not taxing the server.

I question the usefulness of doing that though, the latency may offset any improvements but it seems to work for some people.

If problems persist, decreasing the codec rate to 16khz will help a great deal (at the expense of sound degradation)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    Move it to Pakistan :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    ^^^ Great idea, every time there's a power failure, we'll have to hope the generators haven't decided to collectively fail at the thought of another workload (In PK heat no less!).

;)
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of people having their TS channels moved to another Country. That way when it's US peak-time, the host country is sleeping and not taxing the server.

I question the usefulness of doing that though, the latency may offset any improvements but it seems to work for some people.

If problems persist, decreasing the codec rate to 16khz will help a great deal (at the expense of sound degradation)

The problem is in the Chicago data center but it has been resolved. They have moved all of their servers in Chicago to Washington D.C. Out host name is the same so no change will be needed in the clients connection configuration and the server is up.
    News and Maintenance
    Emergency Maintenance Notifcations
    December 17th 09:54 PM EST Emergency Maintenance - Chicago Central US (*** IP CHANGE ***)

Dear Customers,

As a result of recent service interruptions, we will be migrating customers from Chicago US Central to US East in an effort to stabilize our network. If you are using custom hostname services your hostname will automatically update and point to the new ip address. You will continue to connect to the same hostname but there may be a DNS delay. If so please look below to obtain the new ip address of your services and connect directly. If you have any questions please contact live support.

We are moving the Mumble Servers at 10:55 AM EST
    m6.mumble.com 96.8.119.156 -> 174.37.207.28
    m3.mumble.com 96.8.119.163 -> 174.37.207.28

We are moving the Ventrilo Servers at 2:00 AM EST
    vent62.light-speed.com 96.8.119.152 -> 174.37.207.30
    vent127.light-speed.com 96.8.119.155 -> 174.37.207.30
    vent12.light-speed.com 96.8.119.151 -> 174.37.207.30
    vent1.light-speed.com 96.8.119.150 -> 174.37.207.31
    vent90.light-speed.com 96.8.119.137 -> 174.37.207.31
    vent2.light-speed.com 96.8.119.136 -> 174.37.207.29
    vent21.light-speed.com 96.8.119.145 -> 174.37.207.29

Once the migration is complete, we will update the news post letting everyone know.

****UPDATE****
    All Mumble Servers have been moved.
    We expect to have the Ventrilo server's moved later tonight after 2am

Thank you for your patience