Thinking Negatively: How to get out of it?

LethargicaLethargica Regular
edited February 2011 in Life
I think that society today is bred to think negative. We see it everywhere. Through media(IE reported killings in Iraq, celeberty pregnancies), how we were bred to solve problems (worse case scenario's), and even how we interact with people(prejudging in high school). It's a problem because people aren't able to reach their full potential in anything that someone does. Lacking in positivity gives you an excuse to say "what if" or "i can't do this", or prejudging others.

You know what an excuse is? It means that it's ok for you to fail. This is something that people shouldn't be cultured into.

I've grown up thinking that being negative was simply ok. but currently i am struggling to think about more of the positive outcomes in life than dwelling on the negative aspects. Does someone have any tips on how to be more of a positive person?

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Just the thread I need to see. There is a positive side to life, and it's learning to appreciate it that helps.

I used to be able to have a more positive mindset because I:
    • Stopped meds which I know put me in a bad mood/affect me too much
    • Stop drugs in general. Slowly bring down your intake.
    • Keep yourself occupied.
    • Phone friends
    • Go outside! Get off the PC and experience life. You only have 1.
    • Stay away from relationships until you are confident your mood is lifting. Nobody likes emo baggage and you could make yourself feel even worse.
    • Find out events that are going on. Parties? Cinema? Raves? Just do ANYTHING to avoid sitting indoors, thinking about life. Shit, you might even find a new hobby you like!

Excuses are horrible. I used to have them like this

*Wake up at 4am and can't sleep*
    Brain: Oh look! It's 4am, you just got up, nobody is awake..take some Tramadol/Morphine/Booze/Weed/Whatever
    Me: Ok

Seriously. I don't even need a fucking reason and it killed me. Train your brain to avoid sabotage and excuses. You want reasons.

What is the reason for me feeling shit?
    What is the reason behind me not wanting to enjoy life?

Instead of
    I feel shit today.
    I just don't enjoy life...

Tackle the problems. Make a fucking list, write them on your dick, whatever. Just isolate them, and know that you have friends, and yes family I suppose (extended always works for me, like my Nan, Uncle or Aunty). Parents are alright, but in this situation, maybe they won't be.

So, what have we learnt?

- Make a list of shit that triggers you and situations that make you worse. Just do it. I had to for a Counsellor and it actually surprised me how much it worked.
    - Go out. Call mates, arrange something to look forward to. This weekend?
    - Avoid sitting and slumming, thinking about life. Best to experience it, enjoy it and move on.
    - I always used to imagine there were a camera crew filming me. Act up! Enjoy life! Create a scene and find amazement in everything.
    - Stay away from drugs until you have at least stabilised.
    - Fuck bitches. Don't commit.

All the best, bro. Any worries, feel free to PM me.
  • Dark LordDark Lord Acolyte
    edited February 2011
    Good advice RemadE. Though I think it is something you learn through the ages.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited February 2011
    Well as they say, 'Ignorance is bliss.'

So stop reading the news.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited February 2011
    Occupy your mind with other things. Find things you like to do, aka hobbies, and make time to do them. The advice RemadE gave is probably the best you'll find.