Politics and Genetics

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
New research suggests that a person’s political beliefs may be in part genetic. In a new study, scientists have pinpointed a gene that they suspect is partially responsible for people developing into liberals. The key word is partially.

Of the people in the study who were liberal leaning many of them had a similar gene variant — DRD4. In fact, DRD4 is referred to as the “thrill-seeking” gene. Gambling, extreme extroversion, sexual promiscuity and other adventurous human traits have also been blamed on DRD4 expression. One study suggested people with the DRD4 variant gene expression were more likely to have one-night stands and commit acts of adultery. Still, liberal behavior doesn’t necessarily equate to liberal politics; we are not robots acting only as programmed by our genes.

Indeed, the research showed that DRD4 expression alone is not enough to make someone a Democrat, as much as that may have made a good headline when this research was first released. No, rather it was a combination of DRD4 expression and varied socialization. Those with large groups of diverse friends were more likely to be left leaning. Researchers suspect that in having so many friends, a person inevitably encounters people with a variety of viewpoints and backgrounds, thus making them more empathetic. Perhaps, since the gene is linked to extroversion, people with this DRD4 gene expression are more likely to have lots of social interactions in their lifetime, thus leading to a more worldly view.

So is it the DRD4 expression or childhood friends that influence a person’s political identity? Their research points to a combination of the factors. In the eternal debate between nature versus nurture, the answer in this case appears to be both.

http://fyiliving.com/mental-health/politics-of-genes-are-people-liberal-by-nature/

I'm not sure I'm buying this because it only seems to study liberal or conservative politics even though their are a plenty of other ideologies and mixtures between the two. it's still an interesting read though.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I don't buy this, I have all of the following traits.
    Gambling, extreme extroversion, sexual promiscuity and other adventurous human traits

I have lived in 14 states and 22 cities and have socialized with a large group of folks in many areas over a long period of time. But I have never been a liberal.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I don't buy this, I have all of the following traits.

I have lived in 14 states and 22 cities and have socialized with a large group of folks in many areas over a long period of time. But I have never been a liberal.

Read what he posted tho
    Perhaps, since the gene is linked to extroversion, people with this DRD4 gene expression are more likely to have lots of social interactions in their lifetime, thus leading to a more worldly view.

So it matters not if you have the gene - if you live in some shitville hick one horse town and are a recluse and have this gene, you are an empathetic, whiny liberal, left leaning little bitch.

If you were however, lucky enough to be born with a set of functioning balls and as such some testosterone, you take advantage of this gene. People who do no thave it will never amount to anything other than being the underclass.

Those that do eaither become loaners, leftists or leaders.

I think sanchez much have this gene, but with him having fuck all life experience, he does not know which one to be and as such is mostly a leftist loaner who thinks he is a leader.

I would bet I to have this gene, but I would also have the genes 'man' and intelligence.

It is amazing that protiens so small in their size can have such an impact on what one becomes. It also amazes me to think when the world turns to shit, you will try to survive by eating worms. I, while I work in toil, will work in rewarding toil. You will probably be eaten by dogs or disease infested criminals.

Your sister should be OK, either that black dude that balled her will have agang and make her one of his bitches or that jew that tag teamed your 'sista' with the 'brutha' will fly you all off to Isreal to become jews.

Although I cannot imagine how that might save you, you have to admit that it would be a better life than eating worms and being mauled to death by dogs.