The Libya thread

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Libya's government has announced an immediate ceasefire against pro-democracy protesters, hours after the United Nations Security Council authorised a no-fly zone over the country.

In a statement televised on Friday, Moussa Koussa, the Libyan foreign minister, said his government was interested in protecting all civilians and foreigners.

"We decided on an immediate ceasefire and on an immediate stop to all military operations," he said, adding "[Libya] takes great interest in protecting civilians".

Koussa said because his country was a member of the United Nations it was "obliged to accept the UN Security Council's resolutions".

Despite the announcement, there were reports late on Friday that government forces were closing in on the eastern city of Benghazi, where witnesses reported a loud blast followed by anti-aircraft fire.

But Libya's deputy foreign minister told reporters that the presence of forces around Benghazi did not constitute a violation of the ceasefire.

"As for the presence of the army in Libyan cities, we consider that important for the security of citizens. It does not violate the ceasefire," the Reuters news agency quoted Khaled Kaim as saying.

However earlier on Friday, pro-Gaddafi forces fired on the rebel-held western city of Misurata, witnesses said, where an earlier attack claimed the lives of at least 25 people.

Abdulbasid Abu Muzairik, a resident in the western coastal town, told Al Jazeera there was shelling from artillery and tanks.

"The Gaddafi forces are at the outskirts of the city but they continue to shell the centre of the city," he said. "The ceasefire has not taken place; he [Gaddafi] is still continuing up until now to shell and kill the people in the city."

'Buying time'

Anita McNaught, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Tripoli, said the government's statement was "very carefully crafted ... very deliberate, almost forensic".

"Clearly the Libyans have been poring over their United Nations charters to decide which bits to disagree with and on the whole they can't find very much."

"My hunch is that it is an effort to buy time because the Libyans, I think, have been taken completely by surprise by this sudden resurgence of an [international] consensus on action."

The ceasefire declaration also contrasted with earlier comments by Muammar Gaddafi, the country's leader, who warned residents of Benghazi, the eastern rebel stronghold, that his forces would show "no mercy" in an impending assault on the city.

"We will track them [fighters] down, and search for them, alley by alley, road by road," he said in a radio address on Thursday.

You can read more about it here
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/2011318124421218583.html

Comments

• KraneKrane Regular
    edited March 2011
    At last, the UN has finially done something useful to help stop the spread of Islamic imperialism.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Libiya gave terms near 24 hour ago when it realised Britain and France were coming to bomb the fuck out of it if the Arab Leaque was down with it. The Arab League was.

Did you guys not find out until obama wanted to play to get some glory when Cameron and Sarkozy fronted Gaddaffi down with out him. Obama now looks like some fat, unloved child who... well, he looks pissed of he did not have the balls to back this one until he saw his allies engage in solid action and he had no choice.

It did seem like murika is going back to its isolationialist policies of the past.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    That little worm Gaddafi remembers the shellacking back in 86 when his family got snuffed.

U.N. "No fly zone"

Gaddafi: "OK I quit"
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    It did seem like murika is going back to its isolationialist policies of the past.

you say it like it's a bad thing
  • edited March 2011
    He's remembering 1986 lol
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    Seitzy wrote: »
    you say it like it's a bad thing

No, its a good thing. Means British forces are a lot safer...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    a4AhG.jpg

Yeah, right.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    Military strikes by the U.S. and its allies against targets in Libya Saturday have "severely disabled" Libyan leader's Muammar al-Qaddafi's air defenses, a U.S. official confirms to Fox News, as new explosions and gunfire can be heard in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
    The official also warns they do not know what Qaddafi will do next following the military strikes.
    "It's too soon to predict what he and his ground forces may do in response to today's strikes," the official told Fox News.
    Anti-aircraft fire has been heard in the Libyan capital of Tripoli as the BBC News reports that coalition planes have bombed targets in the capital of Tripoli. Reuters reports that air strikes by Western forces near Misrata have targeted a military airbase where Qaddafi loyalists are based.
    British forces have launched air attacks on Libya, U.K. defense officials said. Three RAF Tornado jets have left the U.K., the first of the British strike force tasked with enforcing a no-fly zone over the country, Sky News reported.

Despite the blow, Qaddafi remained defiant as he threatened to attack military and civilian targets in the Mediterranean in retaliation of international coalition strikes on Libya.
    "It is now necessary to open the stores and arm all the masses with all types of weapons to defend the independence, unity and honor of Libya," Qaddafi said in a speech broadcast on Libya state television, according to Reuters. He also warns that weapons depots are being opened to arm the Libyan people in defense.
    The Pentagon says 114 Tomahawk cruise missiles have been launched from U.S. and British ships in the Mediterranean, hitting more than 20 Libyan targets along the Mediterranean coastline.
    Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Staff, told reporters the Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired from one British submarine and a number of American destroyers and subs. He said the success of the mission was not immediately clear, adding that additional attacks would commence later.
    Gortney said the mission has two goals: prevent further attacks by Libyan forces on rebels and other civilians, and degrade the Libyan military's ability to contest a no-fly zone.
    Libyan state television quotes the armed forces command as saying 48 dead, 15 wounded in allied attacks.
    The U.S. military strikes clear the way for European and other planes to enforce a no-fly zone designed to ground Qaddafi's air force and cripple his ability to inflict further violence on rebels, U.S. officials said.
    President Obama authorized limited military action against Libya Saturday.
    "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," Obama said in a statement from Brazil.
    The president also reiterated that the U.S. will not be deploying ground forces into Libya.
    A senior military official tells Fox News that the U.S. will be targeting air defenses along the Libyan coast in Operation Odyssey Dawn. There are a total of 25 coalition ships in the Mediterranean, with the U.S. contributing 11 warships.
    "Some of the key first strikes that we are planning to strike of course would be on the coast because that where the integrated and missile defense systems are and of course the other air defense related facilities that we will be going after. That would open up the environment where we could enforce the no fly zone throughout from east to west of Libya."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/19/france-fires-libyan-military-vehicle/
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Krane wrote: »
    At last, the UN has finially done something useful to help stop the spread of Islamic imperialism.

...and help spread an exploitative system we call Capitalism instead.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    inb4everyonesaymuricaisbadmky
  • tachosomozatachosomoza Regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42177894/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/
    Anti-aircraft fire erupted in the Libyan capital on Sunday, marking the start of a second night of international strikes as a defiant Moammar Gadhafi vowed a "long war." The U.S. military said the allied bombardment so far, using a rain of Tomahawk cruise missiles and strikes by long-range bombers, had been successful in diminishing Gadhafi's air defenses.

Qaddafi's finished. :facepalm:
    edited March 2011
    This was already posted about you stupid nig nog. i'm merging this with the other thread.
    edited March 2011
    This was already posted about you stupid nig nog. i'm merging this with the other thread.

I read it as being about the ceasefire, this is more recent, fuckshit. If you want the thread to contain all Libya related matters, then you should change the title to "Libyan conflict" or some variant thereof.
    edited March 2011
    I read it as being about the ceasefire, this is more recent, fuckshit. If you want the thread to contain all Libya related matters, then you should change the title to "Libyan conflict" or some variant thereof.

I think you should stfu and get back to the cotton fields.
    edited March 2011
    I think you should stfu and get back to cuming in my mom's mouth

You have a sick mind. But, I will happily oblige you.
    edited March 2011

It appears the negro is correct for once. This is now the Libya thread..
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited March 2011
    Soon as those air defenses are neutralized, he's finished. He might prolong it by occupying public/civilian buildings, but his fate is sealed.

You'd think with all those air-defenses, there would be some kind of cruise missile defense too.
    edited March 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    You'd think with all those air-defenses, there would be some kind of cruise missile defense too.

As much as I support Gaddafi, it's Libya, dude. Their AA defences are probably so out of date, the dust and sand clogged them.
    Also, aint his Son cute? He reminds me of Baghdad Bob. As for the future of Cnl. Gaddafi, well....
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368250/Libya-We-kill-Gaddafi-says-Defence-Secretary-Liam-Fox-RAF-blitz-Libya.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Fuckers.I thought the West were advocates of a fair trial system? We try Blacks in the Hague but not this guy who has made the world laugh for years? :(
    edited March 2011
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42177894/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/
    Moammar Gadhafi vowed a "long war" as allied forces launched a second night of strikes on Libya on Sunday, and jubilant rebels who only a day before were in danger of being crushed by his forces now boasted they would bring him down. The U.S. military said the international assault would hit any Gadhafi forces on the ground that are attacking the opposition.

We hit Qaddafi's house last night.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited March 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    As much as I support Gaddafi, it's Libya, dude. Their AA defences are probably so out of date, the dust and sand clogged them.

Hah, yeah. Surprised they still work.
    edited March 2011

They could have easily killed him if they wanted, but they wanna give that joy to the Libyans. GRR.
  • drewfleadrewflea Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    islam....