How do you grow weed and keep the smell to a minimum?

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
This is a follow-up of the thread I posted earlier today, regarding getting caught growing weed. One of the main points I came across was the smell alerting people to the presence of drugs, but RemadE mentioned that there was a remedy for this problem.

So, both indoors and outdoors - how do you keep the smell down?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Make everybody else wear nose plugs.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited April 2011
    Pets. Cats to be exact. The rank of kitty litter usually covers up the weed smell.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Carbon. fucking. filter.

Outdoors? Just grow away from people or do a low-odour strain. in the Summer, you could smell mine out the front of the house :hai:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Carbon. fucking. filter.
    ^^^this and the cat idea isnt bad. if you can stand the smell of cat piss. but what i have done was keep candles burning and windows open. i also just used a walk in closet and made sure that when i closed the doors after i checked on the plants id duct tape the seams.
    Oh and a good idea if you can stand the smell is Male Cats and hardwood floors ;)
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Carbon. fucking. filter.

Outdoors? Just grow away from people or do a low-odour strain. in the Summer, you could smell mine out the front of the house :hai:

What are some low-odor cannabis strains then bro? :D Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's all very interesting! :)
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    Just go out and buy the parts to make a carbon filter. You will need some metal mesh, a piece of carbon filter fabric for a cooker hood, some string and some activated carbon.

Roll the mesh so you have two cylinders, one slightly smaller than the other. On the larger one, wrap the cooker hood around it, insert the smaller mesh inside, pack the space between with activated carbon (you can get this at aquarium stores) use the string to hold the filter fabric in place.

Works better if the filter is in the grow space and you are pulling smelly air through it. You will be amazed by the results.

Alternativly, you could use an ozone generator, but that shit fucks your lungs up.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    What are some low-odor cannabis strains then bro? :D Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's all very interesting! :)

Pff, fuck knows. New strains come out all the time. Lemon strains are quite nice and aren't too noticeable, plus, who would suspect lemon ganja? Autoflower strains are low on the smell side, too. Best bet is to google low-smell cannabis strains and go from there really. As said before many times - can never do enough research ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Cats and carbon filters.

Look up online and build your own oversized filter.
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited April 2011
    There's this spray stuff that coroners use to cover the smell of dead bodies, that should work but I don't know where to get that at. :o
  • familyguyfamilyguy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I would recommend a house with some space between neighbors. Seems to work around here. :)
  • edited April 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Just go out and buy the parts to make a carbon filter. You will need some metal mesh, a piece of carbon filter fabric for a cooker hood, some string and some activated carbon.

Roll the mesh so you have two cylinders, one slightly smaller than the other. On the larger one, wrap the cooker hood around it, insert the smaller mesh inside, pack the space between with activated carbon (you can get this at aquarium stores) use the string to hold the filter fabric in place.

Works better if the filter is in the grow space and you are pulling smelly air through it. You will be amazed by the results.

Alternativly, you could use an ozone generator, but that shit fucks your lungs up.

Shit, you beat me to it. I have seen this type of carbon filter in use, and it is very effective, you wouldn't know the "tool cabinet" in an my buddies garage had a load of extremely stinky stuff growing in it, even if you stood right beside it. You can re use the activated charcoal as well if you soak it in a solvent like gasoline or naptha for a day or two, then dry it out somewhere well ventilated and warm for a couple of weeks.
  • edited April 2011
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    There's this spray stuff that coroners use to cover the smell of dead bodies, that should work but I don't know where to get that at. :o

Oh my god McSkulvin, nice to see you back, do you use the same spray to cut the smell of the dead children in your basement?, you pedo fuck.

Leave it to an admitted pedo to post a useless bit of advice like this, what are you going to do?, spend 24 hours a day standing in front of the exhaust for your grow letting off occasional puffs of this stuff . Post about what you know, like how to rape children, and leave other things to people who don't spend their days hanging outside of schoolyards with a pocket full of candy.

C/O
    "on topic, mostly, just with a lot of hate"
  • edited April 2011
    , the question is not how to hide the smell.....but how much time you will serve behind bars if they catch you, and well...does it worth it ?

Of course it's worth it! Free weed whenever you want? What's not to like about that. If I was growing, I wouldn't sell it anyway. There's more than enough dealers around here anyway, and it's hard to come across anyone without weed or connections these days.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Of course it's worth it! Free weed whenever you want? What's not to like about that. If I was growing, I wouldn't sell it anyway. There's more than enough dealers around here anyway, and it's hard to come across anyone without weed or connections these days.

It's not even just the free weed part. It's the fact that it isn't wrong. Yeah, there's a law against it, but do you believe in that law? Fuck no. I won't let them pigs keep me from doing what I want.

I plan to grow asap.
  • SlappySlappy Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    growing indoors ain't free, that's for damn sure. Nutes, electric, good soil... those are revolving expenses. Then you've got lights and as much climate control as you can add.

Weed plants won't smell noticeably until the last few weeks in flower, so you can extend the life of your filter by not using it all the time. A small setup can vent into your basement and with a few air fresheners in your house you won't need a carbon filter at all (your basement would have a very mild smell)
  • mmmpatientmmmpatient Semo-Regulars
    edited April 2011
    Homemade carbon filters work well, I have used them extensively. One option I did not see on here is using ONA blocks. They work by neutralizing odors in the air (much like ozium does)

Just google it and get one, they are relatively cheap.

Oh and as a side note: The first time I grew I did it with 5 plants in a self contained, filtered grow box in the basement. During veg and the first week or two of flower the smell was not too bad, however the smell was getting progressively stronger and we (me and my roommates) had no idea! The smell increased so much that by harvest we had multiple people tell us that they could smell weed from the parking lot. The smell of weed permeated almost everything and I would even get whiffs of my grow room while in class (from my clothes).

Moral of the story is to always assume your house smells, as the old parable goes "If you drop a frog into boiling water he will try desperately to get out, however if you place him into lukewarm water and slowly heat it to boiling he will remain until he is cooked"
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited April 2011
    Eat a lb of beans a day so you fart constantly. That'll cover up any weed smell.