Pig toilet.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited April 2011 in Life
Still in some parts of India they use what is called a "pig toilet", basically a hole, you shit in, that leads to the pigs hut.

Holy fuck I didn't believe it when I first read it. Great stuff.

Some excerpts from around the web.
I've heard about these from friends who travelled to Goa back in the day, although I understand that they're becoming a rarity now.

I was watching Bruce Parry on The Tribe last night and he went and stayed with some people in india who had a pig toilet.

It was like a thatched hut with a toilet seat and down below, underneath the seat, lived a pig who danced around enthusiastically waiting to eat turds when mr parry went to avail himself of the facilities.

Now this particular pig lived it's whole life in this hut eating turds. It looked happy and healthy, it was in fact a very cute black and white pig with an inquisitive face and a very merry style of prancing around.

The idea that it lived on a diet of turds was something I found a bit disturbing. Not least because 'toilet pig' is the most prized meat among these particular people and mr parry commented that, although he didn't realise it at the time, the big meal they had shared on the day of his arrival, had been a feast of toilet pig.

While he stayed with these very warm and hospitable people he was also treated to a feast of rat pie (he said that it tasted OK but smelled like a cross between death and a toilet) so perhaps he should have been grateful for the toilet pig meal?

Now, while I find the idea a bit yuck, I can also see how this is a very environmentally friendly way of dealing with human waste.

Friends who've been doing the goa thing for years have reported that, if it wasn't for the pigs being allowed to run around freely eating turds the streets and beaches would be covered in human waste.
At first I hesitated, but I could not pass up this unique opportunity.
I mounted the hole (while gently cradling my private parts in case the
pig leapt up at me in excitement), hummed the tune to the Flintstones
and did my business.

I must say, I have never seen anyone eat my shit so quickly and
enthusiastically!
Long a tradition, and ecologically very logical, the Goan 'pigger' is going the way of the dodo. A conventional looking outhouse, with a little opening in the back to allow pigs to avail themselves of a warm meal seems to be a victim of prissy tourism. Of course, it often was necessary to keep a stick handy to keep the eager ecologists at bay (as a Dutch friend once remarked, if you let them, they'll suck the xxxx right out of you'), but this was a small price to pay for a hygenic solution without the humiliating human intervention of 'sweepers' employed in the rest of village India. The resulting rage for semi-flushing toilets and septic tanks with their mosquito-friendly vent pipes has been an explosion (so to speak) of mosquitoes, some bearers of malaria.

As an added note, the squeamish should still avoid the famous Goan pork sausage and other pork specialties as there are still a fair number of the 'old school' appliances around.

People talking about the pigs deserving a warm meal, is a bit much for me.
I had a hard time using them (all that snorting and breathing in a place I was unaccustomed to), so don't have many fond memories of them.

More info, kind of.

And I hope you didn't think I would leave you without pics.

2654817516_556dc6d10e.jpg

seehowitpeeps.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Wow, I did not think there was enough nutrition in a human turd to nourish a pig. Some rodents eat their own poo, but it is more to make up for a lack of extra stomachs like ruminants have, never figured out why dogs do it, just to gross us out I think, probably tell jokes about it while they play poker.

C/O
    "That was tasty C/O, I have never had such succulent pork chops, I hear you raised it yourself, what did you feed it?"
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited April 2011
    we needed this while living in MO. Pooping in buckets was just...wrong. Idk how many times i emptied out a bucket of your poo... If only they had a pig.

the name seems so fitting in a way, pig.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited April 2011
    some srs splatter stains in 1st pic
  • edited April 2011
    ducklips wrote: »
    we needed this while living in MO. Pooping in buckets was just...wrong. Idk how many times i emptied out a bucket of your poo... If only they had a pig.

the name seems so fitting in a way, pig.

Hmm, perhaps there is some subtext to this, meant to be read by another member..... or maybe I'm jus high on quack.

I love the way the pig is looking up in the first pic;2654817516556dc6d10e.jpg

C/O
    "fucking banders have shitty aim"
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, perhaps there is some subtext to this, meant to be read by another member..... or maybe I'm jus high on quack.

You are correct. ;)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if shit fed pigs qualify as organically raised meat.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I wonder if shit fed pigs qualify as organically raised meat.

Or tastes like shit
  • edited April 2011
    I don't think I'd trust a hole like that. I reckon the pig would try and jump up and bite your knackers off.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    Notice the shovel near the hole? It's to keep the pig at bay.

A few of the descriptions talked about having a stick nearby to keep the pig away.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, I did not think there was enough nutrition in a human turd to nourish a pig. Some rodents eat their own poo,

Sewer rats will eat their own bodyweight in human shit everyday.

I cannot fathom how this would be safe - as pigs and humans can be susceptible to the same parasitic organisms, it could just end up with a circle of badness.

It does not seem to be a traditional practice either.
    On the other
    hand, in most Oriental countries human wastes find their way back to the
    land. In China these are collected for manuring the crops direct. In
    India they are concentrated on the zone of highly manured land
    immediately round each village.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200301.txt

I am guessing that as Goans have always seen themselves as a touch above since that areas colonisation by Portugal, the Untouchable class would have been very small and this is maybe why they did not have so many 'night soil' workers and so people had to deal with their own shit.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd be too scared to use one of those.

What if the pig bites your dick as it's hanging down while you're squatting?