A few things to fix before Operation Fuck Your Wall

skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
edited July 2010 in Help and Suggestions
These are a few things that should probably be fixed as soon as possible, seeing as we're (hopefully) about to get some major promotion in a couple of weeks with Operation Fuck Your Wall.
  • The whole society section of the text files is missing
  • The 'Hot Topics' section on the frontpage is illegible due to clashing colors
  • The 'bbs' link in the top bar of the front page STILL leads to forum1 (which at this point is a broken version of the front page)
  • Someone suggested adding a 'Register' button. I think this would be highly beneficial.

I don't want to be too bothersome on this, I would do this if I could, but sadly I can't. :(

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, all the links on the front page are broken pretty much. I think Hellish is on vacation (lol running off to Hawaii with Jeff Hunter and our $195 - j/k) and is limited to what he can do at the moment. I hope he enjoys his break, but there are some major issues (site functionality) that need to be addressed before the eventual minor (archives and what not) can be fixed.

I am holding off from advertising because of its crippled form as many others are, but I have potential to add more like last summer when I advertised Zoklet with every torrent I upload on Demonoid. My downloads hit thousands on the small ones and tens of thousands on the big.

Upgrading to a 1Gbps server monday so I'll be able to double or triple the content which leads to double or triple the advertisement I gave Zoklet way back when.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Yeah, all the links on the front page are broken pretty much. I think Hellish is on vacation (lol running off to Hawaii with Jeff Hunter and our $195 - j/k) and is limited to what he can do at the moment. I hope he enjoys his break, but there are some major issues (site functionality) that need to be addressed before the eventual minor (archives and what not) can be fixed.

I am holding off from advertising because of its crippled form as many others are, but I have potential to add more like last summer when I advertised Zoklet with every torrent I upload on Demonoid. My downloads hit thousands on the small ones and tens of thousands on the big.

Upgrading to a 1Gbps server monday so I'll be able to double or triple the content which leads to double or triple the advertisement I gave Zoklet way back when.

*thumbsup* Nice move. The torrent idea is a really great one. Well, I hope Hellish enjoys his vacation, he deserves it for doing such a good job on this place thus far.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    Front page links :facepalm:

We need to google bomb totse.info for totse, otherwise people will be like "oh I heard totse [googles totse] hey zoklet and totse2"
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually need help with the Hot Topics CSS. Its confusing to me. And $178 wouldn't even get me to hawaii. Anyways, CMS system instead of fixing the links. Easier and more efficient.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hellish wrote: »
    I actually need help with the Hot Topics CSS. Its confusing to me. And $178 wouldn't even get me to hawaii. Anyways, CMS system instead of fixing the links. Easier and more efficient.

Oh yeah I forgot about that haha. Makes sense rather than having to fix the links then end up being pointless once you implement the CMS. Are we going to be good by July 30th? Big things are going to happen :p
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'll look at the Hot Topics CSS and see what's going on (I can at least do CSS). I've been trying to learn how to make a proper redirect for forum1, but again, that looks like a directory (which would lead to forum1/index.php?), and I have NO FUCKING CLUE about PHP (I had better get one if I want to be a web developer in the future). And the Society fix will just be an issue of "who has it?"
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited July 2010
    I actually have society somewhere, Just well, Why put it in if your going to remove it?
    edited July 2010
    Did I hear you right, you're gonna remove the section? As in, delete the text files?

Oh, and the problem lies in here in the CSS. Right now for some reason the CSS created specifically for the links in the Hot Topics bar in the .css page are not overriding the defaults. I don't know what it is, but that's the problem. We actually have the links in the Hot Topics bar set to be white, but they're showing up green like the links in the rest of the page.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Even if it's going to be changed, everyone who reads something about totse.info is going to be sent to the front page- with the non-working BBS link. Why can't just the BBS link be replaced with a link to totse.info/bbs, instead of the broken totse.info/forum1?

it takes about 10 seconds to edit the source of the front page to lead to the correct links...
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    Even if it's going to be changed, everyone who reads something about totse.info is going to be sent to the front page- with the non-working BBS link. Why can't just the BBS link be replaced with a link to totse.info/bbs, instead of the broken totse.info/forum1?

it takes about 10 seconds to edit the source of the front page to lead to the correct links...

Someone apparently suggested a redirect (I think it was Dfg) due to the number of pages the incorrect link was found on. Upon double-checking this looks like it's fixed, so we might as well just edit the source of the front page at this point.
    edited July 2010
    You'll still need to fix forum1/register though.
  • abusernameabusername Regular
    edited July 2010
    Hellish wrote: »
    I actually have society somewhere, Just well, Why put it in if your going to remove it?

Why remove it? How is it hurting anyone having that section and content there, even if no one contributes to it from now on? It had useful stuff in there.
  • edited July 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    Someone apparently suggested a redirect (I think it was Dfg) due to the number of pages the incorrect link was found on. Upon double-checking this looks like it's fixed, so we might as well just edit the source of the front page at this point.

Why isn't the header a PHP include anyway? Would be SO much easier when it comes to editing every page's links.
    edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why isn't the header a PHP include anyway? Would be SO much easier when it comes to editing every page's links.

...A wha? :confused: Again, I know nothing of PHP (which I need to after I master JavaScript). I did find what's causing the Hot Topics box to go wrong, so I'll get back to Hellish on that one.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe the front page link isn't fixed yet. :facepalm:
  • edited July 2010
    ILTST9 wrote: »

That's odd, I swear it was a little while ago. And the home page had been turned into Wordpress last time I checked... I guess Hellish is playing around, haha.
    edited July 2010
    ILTST9 wrote: »

+1

It doesn't matter if you don't fix every single page, just the front page bbs and register.
    edited July 2010
    It are fixed naow. :)
    edited July 2010
    Thank the Gods.
  • edited July 2010
    OP, update your list!

We also need someone to edit the Wikipedia page. If FYW goes down successfully, we want the Wikipedia page to be up to date with the correct links and info.

I'd do it, but my "IP address has been banned" (see thread in Bitch and Moan).

GO GO GO
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I added a comment on wikipedia. We aren't allowed to add totse.info as the successor site to totse. I dunno what wikipedia's problem is. They don't allow us to update the info.