school or work

Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was given the opportunity to be a manager over a area of this store in another town. The base pay is 14.50 an hour and could even be higher when i actually get the job. Anyway, :angry: my only issue is I am set to go away to school in the fall in the opposite direction.. Its been on my mind all night when I know school should never get pushed back even further. I have about two years left in school directly in the field i want to study in. It just sucks when I have no plan and im feeling lost nothing else comes up, but soon as i get some what of a plan i am presented with other options...

Let me add I have never been a fan of school like a lot of kiddos I just can't focus enough throughout the day and also get extremely anxious just going somedays.

I will also be working for probably one of my favorite managers. I do know though 14.50 isnt that much here but coming from a 20 year old used to making 8 something barely making it by it sounds good.

thoughts??

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Hmm... Won't school benefit you in the long run though? Then you can get a job at more than 14.50 an hour and be glad you stayed in school.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    Keep the job. That "benefiting you in the long run" is a pile of shit. You would have to pay off the loans plus interest and all that shit. Get the job and save up some money. Then pursue something in the field you're interested in, in the nearby future. Or just fuck it all, and make money while all the preppy uni kids look at you with envy while they take Cal.BC.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited June 2011
    it would kill my mom for me to delay school anymore I guess that is what is keeping me going with the school thing. Also the "Benefit in the long run" saying keeps getting put in my head. What all do you guys make at work?
  • edited June 2011
    I only suggested that it will be good in the long run because in my country, if you don't stay in school then you're pretty much shit outta luck in the long run :D You have to work your way up the ranks, starting with school, college, uni, then hopefully a career in your chosen field. Then you start all over again from the bottom, working your way up until you have the best job in the industry, earning a shit load of money allowing you to retire a happy man :)
    edited June 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I only suggested that it will be good in the long run because in my country, if you don't stay in school then you're pretty much shit outta luck in the long run :D You have to work your way up the ranks, starting with school, college, uni, then hopefully a career in your chosen field. Then you start all over again from the bottom, working your way up until you have the best job in the industry, earning a shit load of money allowing you to retire a happy man :)

^ you mean Happy Woman ;)
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    ^ you mean Happy Woman ;)

Happy woman drowned in debt. :rolleyes:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    Be cool; stay in school.
    edited June 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Happy woman drowned in debt. :rolleyes:

im pretty good with my money. fool :)
  • edited June 2011
    Depends how much you expect school will help you earn.... If this is comparable, there is a good chance working could be better, as you can always get raises or what not as time goes on...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Do what I did - get a job in the school/education centre and earn + learn! I got a promotion at my Uni job today and was even offered a car. Don't drop out of school as it will hopefully allow you to get a better job or climb the ladder quicker (stfu cynical lefties). Part time jobs are your best bet. Work at weekends and do schoolwork during the week(nights). You will have to keep a tight regime though as you don't want to slip behind.
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited June 2011
    College degrees don't mean nearly as much as they used to mean. Do whatever makes the most people happy but don't just go to school because you think it's going to automatically help you get a better job. It might and it might not.
  • edited June 2011
    get dat green
    get dem females
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited June 2011
    go to skool and enjoy being young, theres plenty of time for you to hate your job or employees in the future
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited June 2011
    lol @ sarah for being happy with 14.50 offer!

have some respect for yourself sarah. The sky is the limit on how much you can

make per yr. Dont be a lazy cunt and settle for what looks good now.

;)
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited June 2011
    it would kill my mom for me to delay school anymore I guess that is what is keeping me going with the school thing.

You should live for yourself.

And BHD is right, $14.50 an hour isn't a big deal.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited June 2011
    A couple quick questions:

Do you have to fully / partially support yourself while going to school and how hard is it to combine this with going to school?

What kind of schooling are we talking about here? If it's high school: finish it or you will regret it. If higher education: What will your degree be when you finish school and how are job chances for young people with that degree in your area?
    edited June 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    A couple quick questions:

Do you have to fully / partially support yourself while going to school and how hard is it to combine this with going to school?

What kind of schooling are we talking about here? If it's high school: finish it or you will regret it. If higher education: What will your degree be when you finish school and how are job chances for young people with that degree in your area?

I turned the offer down because i do know i will have more job chances in the future. 14.50 is a lot an hour to a part time associate / full time student BHD so shut the fuck up im not sure you make much more actually. amie im 21 in three weeks im out of high school and have all my basics done in college. For the moment im going for merchandising . As far as job chances my area isnt that good i need to move elsewhere to make some money with anything.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    I turned the offer down because i do know i will have more job chances in the future. 14.50 is a lot an hour to a part time associate / full time student BHD so shut the fuck up im not sure you make much more actually. amie im 21 in three weeks im out of high school and have all my basics done in college. For the moment im going for merchandising . As far as job chances my area isnt that good i need to move elsewhere to make some money with anything.

You're going to live a miserable life. Good luck fucktard. :thumbsup:
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited June 2011
    Box wrote: »
    You're going to live a miserable life. Good luck fucktard. :thumbsup:

Nah, she's gonna be happy.

Life is better as a human than as a box, ya know?
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited June 2011
    Amie wrote: »
    Nah, she's gonna be happy.

Life is better as a human than as a box, ya know?

Are you hot?