Best Buy no-chase policy confirmed

JackJack Regular
edited June 2011 in Man Cave
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/best_buy_employee_tackles_laptop_thief_receives_pink_slip
"Roger, you admitted that on March 28, 2011, you pursued a shoplifter and engaged in physical force to apprehend this shoplifter," the one-page notice said. "This is a violation of Best Buy's Inappropriate Conduct Policy which states that employees are prohibited from 'pursuing shoplifters under any circumstance or using physical force to detain shoplifters' and ground for termination. Your employment with Best Buy is terminated, effective immediately."

Comments

• Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited June 2011
    pretty much all retail stores are like this. ive had experience in retail and basically all they can do is try and distract you while someone else calls the authorities. no one in the store can accuse you of shoplifting either. its an odd system
  • HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    "Employees", Privately contracted security on the other hand. You never know what a store like best buy could have
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2011
    Our litigious culture, at it's finest.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited June 2011
    "Employees", Privately contracted security on the other hand. You never know what a store like best buy could have

Good point. Maybe the "real" LP aren't direct employees.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011
    Man stores have gone pussy from just 10 years ago when I was a young lad. I remember running from the Safeway or Fred Meyers security all the time. Hell even Costco, Circuit City, and Fry's Electronics had some goons that scared you more than a cop.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited June 2011
    when i was growing up that was half the fun. you at least had a good story to tell. Society is making our children pussies.
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited June 2011
    when i was growing up that was half the fun. you at least had a good story to tell. Society is making our children pussies.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pussification
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited June 2011
    In GA by law you have to stop and let them search you or some shit if you set off the towers. I'm not sure if they'd use force to enforce that though.

Also, I've seen plenty of videos of shoplifters getting the shit tackled out of them.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    In GA by law you have to stop and let them search you or some shit if you set off the towers. I'm not sure if they'd use force to enforce that though.

Also, I've seen plenty of videos of shoplifters getting the shit tackled out of them.

Visible gun > store employee.