Are hummingbirds aliens?

HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
It sure seems like they come from another planet when you're watching them fly around in the air. Sucking on flowers and levitating. Performing crazy ariel maneuvers. The first time I saw one the way it flew distorted my depth perception so much that I thought it looked the size of a raven right in front of my face.

Bizarre little creatures if you ask me.

Comments

• HOLLISTER GUYHOLLISTER GUY Regular
    edited June 2011
    ruby-throated_hummingbird.jpg

Imagine that thing popping up right in front of your face and buzzing around. It has no legs for goodness sakes.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently if you yell at them, they get so stressed up that they would just have a heart attack, dropping like dead flies.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited June 2011
    You know too much.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited July 2011
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2011
    Report to your community centre lavatories and utter "0x34fc8" into the left-most hand dryer. All will be explained.
    You are the only one who can see this message.
  • edited July 2011
    It sure seems like they come from another planet when you're watching them fly around in the air. Sucking on flowers and levitating. Performing crazy ariel maneuvers. The first time I saw one the way it flew distorted my depth perception so much that I thought it looked the size of a raven right in front of my face.

Bizarre little creatures if you ask me.

They are able to fly backwards, hover and do the things that they do because they have very flexible shoulders, and are able to move their wings in directions that other birds cannot. For example, when hovering, their winds flap back and fourth in a figure-eight pattern.

Personally, I fucking love hummingbirds, and I love watching them flying around, feeding and fighting or otherwise interacting with each other.